Position Title & Department:
| Manager, Law School Marketing & Communications; School of Law
USD School of Law is one of the 84 law schools elected to the Order of the Coif, a national honor society for law school graduates. The law school's faculty is a strong group of outstanding scholars and teachers with national and international reputations and currently ranks in the top 20% (36th out of 204) among U.S. law schools in scholarly impact according to a 2018 study. The school is accredited by the American Bar Association and is a member of the Association of American Law Schools. Founded in 1954, the law school is part of the University of San Diego, a private, independent, Roman Catholic university chartered in 1949.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
The Manager works directly for the Associate Director, Law School Marketing and Communications to coordinate and execute compelling marketing and communications materials, including associated content, for the law school’s external and internal audiences. The Manager will draft articles and other content for law school outreach materials; maintain editorial quality and monitor text and information provided by 3rd party vendors and internal partners for accuracy and consistency. The Manager will collaborate with faculty, administrators, staff, alumni and vendors to produce 15 to 20 marketing and communication projects each year for law school departments ensuring projects are aligned with the strategic goals of the law school and within budgets established. Manager will also collaborate with the University’s creative service department to ensure the proper use of the school’s graphic standards.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees the development, production and distribution of law school marketing and communications materials/platforms to support the communication needs of JD Admissions, Law School Development/ Alumni Relations and non-JD programs including videos and bulletins; direct mail pieces and other print and digital materials. This includes the following:
- Executes the Associate Director’s strategic vision with a range of cross-functional partners to develop, document and consistently execute protocols to guide external messaging and delivery.
- Manages and coordinates materials for the above-named law school departments including print, digital, and videos to drive high caliber student recruitment and retention for JD and LLM programs in addition to donor and alumni engagement.
- Identifies and helps draft compelling feature stories on alumni, faculty, staff and students to feature in various platforms for the above law school departments.
- Manages new content development, editing, external agency project management, video development and collaboration with administrators, faculty and alumni.
Writing and Design
- Creates targeted executive communications for internal and external audiences, including media relations, short-and-long form written communications, presentations, video scripts, social posts etc. for the above-named law school departments.
- Manages and develops the law school’s collateral pieces (includes bulletins, brochures, invitations, direct mail postcards) for JD Admissions, Law School Development/Alumni Relations and non-JD programs.
- Writes and edits articles for review and approval by the Associate Director.
Law School Website/Social Media Strategist
- Executes the law school’s social media strategy for all law school departments across website, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn and other social media channels that reach the law school’s audiences.
- Revitalizes social media and website with consistent branding and regular updates to achieve improved analytics.
- Ensures website/social media platforms are relevant and compelling
- Directs external vendor(s) secured to assist with social media campaign implementation.
- Develops and maintains media gallery of video and still assets.
- Sets up all necessary photography for the law school departments; books photographers and manages photo shoots.
Special Conditions of Employment:
The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow our Covid-19 vaccine requirement process. https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum two years’ experience in related field: communications, journalism, publications, external relations, marketing.
Bachelor’s degree with an emphasis in English, communications, marketing, journalism political science or related field is preferred.
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must have the ability to work independently and creatively to develop marketing plans, initiate story ideas and research subjects.
- Must be able to demonstrate ability to develop background information into high-quality journalistic prose.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills, including tact, diplomacy and flexibility, as well as the ability to work with all levels of individuals and groups including faculty, staff, students, alumni and outside vendors.
- Demonstrated ability to examine projects for consistency in design and layout.
- Demonstrated ability to write, proofread and edit copy for news and feature articles, profiles, and interviews, brochures, bulletins, news releases and internet.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully execute all phases of the publications process, including design, layout, typesetting and printing.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively use Excel to analyze and communicate financial data.
- Ability to prioritize, plan and schedule a variety of different projects.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with frequent interruptions.
- Must be highly flexible and have solid problem-solving skills.
- Must have strong initiative and the ability to complete assignments independently and without close supervision.
- Must be able to execute projects from concept through completion.
- Must demonstrate a high level of accuracy to ensure that all projects and products are produced and disseminated correctly.
- Knowledge of current marketing communication techniques, including social media.
- Knowledge of various software applications used in the development of print and digital communications/productions.
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package including; medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University, and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
|Special Application Instructions:
Resume and Cover Letter Required
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.