University Advancement supports the strategic priorities of the University of San Diego through philanthropy, communication, and engagement as we secure, honor, and steward our constituents' investment in the university, its mission, vision, and values. At its core, advancement is the "progression to a higher stage of development," and at the University of San Diego, lighting the way forward.
Philanthropy is paramount in the University of San Diego's ability to support the many needs of the university and its students across the campus and around the world. It is incredibly exciting and inspiring to be working at a university that fosters a university-wide ecosystem that strengthens the collective capacity of our students, faculty, staff, and community partners.
Note: The funding for this position is currently expected to conclude in December, 2028, to align with the University's campaign goals.
The campaign director is the primary driver of campaign activity and timelines, serving as a coordinator for all campaign activities. This role serves as “mission control center” for campaign operations and execution. Working closely with senior leadership, members of USD’s Board of Trustees, key volunteers, and the campaign consultant, the campaign director supports the implementation and successful completion of a comprehensive fundraising campaign. The campaign director is responsible for researching and deepening the prospective donor pipeline, developing individualized cultivation and solicitation strategies, shaping donor stewardship efforts, and maintaining accurate and up-to-date information on campaign goals, donors, and prospects. As the communication bridge across all departments, this position ensures efficiency and collaboration between development, operations, events, and the various methods of donor outreach and engagement.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Implement the overall campaign plan and timetable, addressing the following key issues: phase activities and goals; volunteer committees; activity and fundraising benchmarks; publicity/marketing plan; campaign budget; donor recognition plan (including preparation of gift naming opportunities); gift acceptance and crediting policies.
- Identify and monitor campaign plan strategies to help keep campaign activity on schedule and on track.
- Assist in any ongoing identification, recruitment and solicitation of campaign volunteer leadership needed during the public phase, including:
- Developing all background information, briefing memos, tailored prospect proposals, and talking points for gift solicitations;
- Briefing all solicitors prior to solicitation meetings;
- Assisting at solicitation meetings whenever necessary;
- Conducting debriefing meetings following solicitation calls;
- Discussing and formulating next steps.
- Drive the organization and implementation of specific plans to engage the staff, campaign committees, and volunteers in the identification, cultivation, and solicitation of prospective donors.
- Organize and coordinate the activities of the key campaign committees (Campaign Executive Committee, Campaign Subcommittees, staff leadership, and others) to ensure their successful fundraising efforts, including:
- Preparation of all meeting materials (agendas, talking points, next steps, assignments, prospect rating charts, etc.);
- Leading orientation and training sessions for campaign volunteers and other appropriate audiences;
- Developing cultivation and solicitation strategies for key prospective donors (including planned giving strategies) – individual, corporate, and foundation.
- Manage and maintain prospect lists and tracking systems, matrices, and pipeline reports (both for overall donors and for specific committee activity), which would include:
- Identifying new prospective donors;
- Assigning target request amounts;
- Conducting prospect research on all key prospects;
- Designing cultivation and solicitation strategies;
- Identifying potential solicitors;
- Serving as a clearing house for all prospect information;
- Keeping all information and reports current and updated.
- Interact on a regular basis with AVP, campaign leaders and volunteers regarding prospect assignments, background information and research, pre-solicitation briefings and debriefings, call reports, formulation of next steps, follow-up documentation, and thank you letters.
- Participate in cultivation and request meetings, as appropriate.
- Provide regular updates and reports to AVP, staff, and committee leaders tracking campaign statistics, evaluating progress based on established benchmarks, recommending next steps, and adjusting when necessary.
- Prepare all general campaign correspondence.
- Assist with foundation research and proposal writing.
- Ensure the proper documentation and acknowledgement of all campaign pledges.
- Manage a pledge redemption system and ongoing donor communications/stewardship plan.
Special Conditions of Employment:
Effective June 1, 2023, based on CDC guidance, the University strongly encourages all campus members to stay up to date with Influenza and COVID-19 vaccination recommendations. For more regarding information USD's COVID-19 protocols, please visit sandiego.edu/onward.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Five years’ of organizational administration and management experience in advancement operations and/or related professions in progressive roles of increased experience.
- Campaign experience required.
- Strong leadership/management skills, including proven ability to direct, mentor, recruit, evaluate, and motivate staff and volunteers.
- Demonstrated ability to work with donors one-on-one for solicitation and stewardship purposes.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including public speaking; ability to communicate positively and effectively with a diverse audience; possess exceptional critical listening and thinking skills.
- Must exhibit attention to detail with excellent organizational and time management skills; remain professional under pressure.
- Understand the role of technology in annual fundraising and possess the ability to utilize CRM platforms and work in Excel.
- Willingness and ability to work evenings and weekends.
- Willingness and ability to travel.
- Must be friendly and personable; mature, positive attitude; a team player.
- University experience preferred.
Performance Expectations - Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong sense of integrity and ethical conduct.
- Cultural competency and sensitivity a must; ability to understand different cultural contexts and viewpoints, demonstrate respect for others, adapt to different cultural settings; and accept cultural differences.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with advancement professionals, academic administrators, senior executives, trustees of the university and outside constituencies.
- Effective strategic thinking, creative problem-solving, attention to detail, and the ability to identify key issues proactively and to formulate recommendations for change or improvement.
- Highly proficient with new and emerging technology.
- Knowledge of fundraising strategies and proven ability to secure gifts.
- Knowledge of annual giving trends and patterns; ability to utilize digital communication to increase contacts with alumni, students, and other constituencies.
- Ability to produce and utilize statistical data for evaluation.
- Must be able to take initiative and ascertain priorities in a dynamic environment of regular interruptions, multiple projects, and deadlines.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with tact and discretion.
- Knowledge of USD’s policies and procedures.
$7,426.25 - $8,333.34 per month; Excellent Benefits
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package including; medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University, and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
The salary range provided in this posting reflects what we reasonably expect to pay for this position. Actual compensation offered or earned is dependent on experience, education and other factors including departmental budget.