Position Title & Department:
| Purchasing Agent; Procurement
Our goal is to provide guidance for the purchase of goods and services to ensure the appropriate use of University resources to further the University's mission. We promote supplier diversity and sustainable business practices that limit our environmental carbon footprint. We support and implement strategic sourcing of essential goods and services that meet University standards. We uphold the University’s commitment to do business with reliable vendors who maintain the highest degree of integrity, customer service, and sustainable practices.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
The Purchasing Agent manages the receiving of goods and services on all University purchase orders; this includes assisting with initiation of purchase orders, reconciling invoices received against the purchase order and recording the transaction in Oracle. The coordinator manages the flow of purchase order invoices received from Accounts Payable to ensure prompt turnaround. The Purchasing Agent is also responsible for managing the University’s vendor database, including screening, verification and setup of new vendors. Assists department with training on University policies and procedures and supports the Director of Purchasing and Senior Purchasing Agent with vendor and purchase order management.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Review purchase order invoices received from Accounts Payable for accuracy and match to the purchase order submitted for authorization of purchase.
- Review POETS code (budget code) assigned to each expense and ensure that the expenditure type is appropriate for the related expense to ensure expenditure trends are properly captured for management review and strategic actions.
- Thoroughly review documentation provided to ensure expense was appropriate within university policies and procedures.
- Effectively explain to customer the origin of and reasoning behind key policies, practices, and procedures.
- Provide customers with helpful information to prevent future issues. Appropriately inform director of any concerns and unresolved issues.
- Serves as Purchasing Department reference contact to campus community regarding purchasing processes and/or information; assists in departmental communications and/or problem resolution with campus community and/or vendors.
- Provides assistance with training and user support for the purchasing systems to the University community. Responds to departmental inquiries regarding the automated purchasing system and procedures.
- Responsible for maintenance of all purchasing records and files, completely and accurately, including but not limited to the vendor files, contracts, catalogs, price lists, purchasing records, and correspondence.
- Responsible for vendor verification and setup. Work with vendors to ensure all data required for vendor setup is received and follow-through on needed information to ensure prompt payment by the Accounts Payable Office.
- Maintain good vendor relations, correspond or communicate with vendors when necessary to correct, modify or revise vendor records or purchase orders. Resolves problem issues with diplomacy and tact by working with individuals to reach reconciliation.
- Assist with distribution of purchase orders and other purchasing correspondence by fax, mail or email to supplier and distribute departmental copies accordingly. Assist with tracking and processing all blanket and contract orders, including sending renewal notices and keeping all records up to date.
- Assist with review and management of INR / RNI reports as needed. Research outstanding or unresolved issues to ensure encumbrances reported in Oracle are accurate and up-to-date.
- Locates source of supply for commodities. Assists with soliciting, receiving and reviewing bids. Has input with recommending award based on price, service, quality, etc. Assists with negotiation with vendors on contracts and agreements for price, terms, deposits and credits prior to forwarding to Purchasing Director and/or Senior Purchasing Agent for review.
- Provide on-line ordering support to campus community for office supply vendors. Assist with adding and maintaining on-line ordering users.
- Assist with the ongoing effort to update and improve purchasing policies and procedures.
- Perform other projects as assigned by the director.
- High school diploma and four years of business/ accounting/accounts payable or purchasing related experience.
- Must demonstrate excellent customer service and the ability to deal with sensitive issues and challenging customers.
- Experience with Oracle or other large ERP system.
- Experience in a centralized accounts payable function for a large organization. Experience in higher education industry.
- Hands-on participation on system set up, upgrade and implementation a plus.
Performance Expectations - Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrates and maintains excellent customer service. Exercises tact and diplomacy in creating and maintaining good working relationships.
- Knowledge and comprehension of general accounts payable and purchasing practice.
- Ability to prioritize workload, meet deadlines, and work effectively under pressure with a high accuracy rate.
- Ability to multi-task and balance changing priorities.
- Ability to understand and utilize complex purchasing information systems.
- Excellent communication, both written and oral, and proven ability to exercise good working relations with a wide variety of people.
- Ability to effectively partner with suppliers forming long term mutually beneficial relationships.
- Ability to readily problem solve by listening and knowing what questions need answering before making a final informed determination.
- Proficiency in Internet usage.
- Ability to use a 10-key calculator.
Tools & Equipment Used:
Personal computer, including automated purchasing, spreadsheet and word-processing applications, e-mail and Internet, 10-key calculator, copy and fax machines.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
|Special Application Instructions:
Click 'Apply Now' to complete our online application and, for full consideration, please upload a resume
to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at email@example.com
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Closing date: October 14, 2020
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.