Tu Mercado is a convenient one stop shop that offers a market, groceries, deli and espresso bar and all the essentials for home and campus living. The Spirit Shop features USD clothing, gifts, cards, Torero merchandise and more.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
The University seeks an individual with a strong interest in working in a mission driven, faith-
based institution. The role of the Tu Mercado Manager in working with the campus community
and responsibilities of the position are significantly tethered in the university’s contemporary
Roman Catholic mission.
The manager will ensure the financial health of the operation by monitoring inventory, financial data and staffing levels. They are responsible for the training, coordination, and evaluations of full time and part time staff.
This position is responsible for providing excellent quality products in a safe and aesthetically pleasing dining environment.
Assures quality customer service and guest satisfaction and assists in the development of departmental goals.
The manager supports daily operations including, employee scheduling, inventory management, menu execution, promotional marketing opportunities, staff safety, and equipment and facility maintenance.
Periodically, this position will lead or contribute to either ad hoc or ongoing division/campus
projects outside the scope of their day-to-day activities.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Maintains daily financial spreadsheets
- Assists in the compilation of expense figures for weekly statements of operation.
- Assists in the preparation of monthly statements
- Enforces proper cash handling procedures; ensures accurate and timely deposits
- Maintains proper security of all areas, equipment and food products
- Identifies deviations from desired results and develops and executes corrective action plans
- Controls use of labor through effective scheduling, proper training and supervision
- Reviews manpower needs, evaluates labor costs and proposes new staff positions as needed
- Ensures proper monthly billing of all departmental charges
- Enforces policies and procedures for proper operation of the POS system
- Conducts accurate monthly inventories
- Assists in the evaluation, development and implementation of proper policies and procedures for all campus restaurants of the University Center dining operation.
- In conjunction with the Director of Dining Services, evaluates, develops and implements policies and procedures for the dining services department.
- Assists in establishing and maintaining goals, and in conjunction with the Director of Dining Services, assists in setting goals for the department.
- Delegates responsibility and authority as appropriate to meet operational goals and objectives
- Assists in creating budgets
- Plans ingredient preparation to meet sales volume with full time staff
- Ensures products made to specification including appearance, cooking and taste
- Responsible for portion control and proper serving techniques
- Responsible for ongoing review and upgrading of service, product and menus
- Works from bids with production manager to ensure best buys on purchases
- Coordinates all product cuts and new food item purchases with the Director
- Maintains adequate inventory levels
- Develops and maintains relationships with vendors, brokers and sales representatives to obtain equipment and best prices on purchases
- Monitors inventory trends and brings in new menu items in a timely manner
- Creates promotions to increases customer counts and revenue
Employee Relations/Recruiting and Retention:
- Assures compliance with Dining Services policies and procedures
- Develops part-time job descriptions
- Responds to employee complaints
- Promotes teamwork among leaders and staff
- Develops and maintains communication with staff
- Develops and implements programs for employee recognition
- Conducts thorough interviews on potential employees; researches all references
- Selects employees to ensure adequate staffing levels
- Ensures that Human Resources paperwork for part-time employees is completed in a timely manner
- Recommends employees for promotion; participates in the selection of supervisors
- Develops goals and incentives within units to increase revenue
- Coordinates with area high schools in recruiting high school students
Training, Communication and Instruction/Supervision:
- Conducts new employee orientation.
- Teaches employees non-negotiable standards of performance.
- Develops and conducts individual and group training sessions and gives instruction to employees to meet job requirements
- Informs employees of policy and procedure changes
- Sets a positive example for employees
- Provides opportunities for staff development
- Responsible for scheduling of part-time employees
- Observes employee performance
- Takes corrective action to ensure acceptable employee performance. Documents as appropriate
- Provides both positive and corrective feedback to employees regarding performance and goals
- Conducts formal performance reviews
- Responsible for the supervision, training, discipline and evaluation of all full-time employees
- Periodically updates employee training manuals
- Ensures prompt, friendly service
- Staffs unit to meet projected sales and/or customer counts
- Responsible for developing and maintaining good customer relations with other areas of dining services and the University community
- Fosters an environment of customer awareness by staff. • Responds to customer input through dining room contacts, customer comment cards and supervisor’s log
- Attends conferences and/or workshops that will benefit operation of units
- Organizes areas to ensure ease of operation
- Maintains cleanliness/sanitation standards set by the department
- Responsible for employee development and training in proper safety and sanitation methods and techniques. Verifies employee sanitation and Hazmat certification
- Implements and maintains proper safety and sanitation standards in the workplace
- Coordinates cleaning schedules for full-time and part-time employees.
- Assists in the coordination and supervision of shutdown periods, including extensive cleanup operations
- Responsible for the timely reporting of all accidents and/or injuries, following proper procedures
- Reviews facilities and equipment to include redesign for maximum service and profitability
- Reviews facilities and equipment to include routine maintenance and repair, replacement and upgrading
- Attractively markets and merchandises products and services to customers
- Develops consistent signage, effective product displays and product promotions
- Assures that high quality standards are maintained throughout the operating hours, including food quality, dining room appearance, and sanitation standards
- Bachelor’s degree in business, food management or related field; or equivalent
combination of education and experience to match educational requirements on a year-
- At least 3 years of related experience and at least 2 years of supervisory experience.
- Supervisory and leadership experience in commercial or university retail operations.
- Available nights and weekends
Performance Expectations - Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to define and implement effective solutions to problems as they arise.
- Possess good time management and communication skills, both written and oral.
- Understanding of accounting procedures, including costing and menu pricing processes.
- Appreciation for and ability to perform exceptional customer service and instill this quality insubordinates.
- Excellent interpersonal skills: the ability to interact with a diverse group of constituents.
- General knowledge of safety and sanitation procedures and inventory techniques.
- Knowledge of preventive maintenance and calibration techniques.
- Ability to work effectively in a strong service-oriented environment with frequently changing priorities and deadlines.
- Demonstrated commitment to high quality in food procurement, production and services.
- General knowledge of marketing and merchandising techniques.
- Ability to work effectively as a team member as well as independently, demonstrating
initiative and creativity.
- Excellent skills in the use of specific equipment and tools as identified below.
Special Conditions of Employment:
Food Service Manager Certification required by the State of California
Must complete the University’s Hazard Communication program.
Tools & Equipment Used:
Ovens, slicers, all kitchen equipment, personal computer, and general office equipment.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
$4,853.34 - $5,250 per month; Excellent Benefits
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits.