The International Center supports the USD university community in advancing global citizenship. In 2015 USD received the Senator Paul Simon Award for Comprehensive Internationalization, awarded by the NAFSA (Association of International Educators). For undergraduate students, there are approximately 135 academic study abroad programs offered in 44 countries and 76 cities to experience and learn about different cultures, languages and customs. The graduate and professional programs also offer extensive international opportunities for working professionals as well as full-time graduate students. Our campus is enriched by having students and scholars from over 70 countries.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
This is a part-time temporary, non-benefit based position with an anticipated end date of December 31, 2023.
The Administrative Assistant serves in the capacity of general office coordination for the department, creating and maintaining various databases, coordinating special events, and providing general advising on study abroad and immigration related topics. Provides administrative support to various departmental staff members, including technical word processing, photocopying, transcription, mail distribution, answering telephones, taking messages, running errands, and acting as liaison between staff members and students. Also has general knowledge of immigration related regulations and requirements as well as undergraduate study abroad program offerings and processes.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Creates, compiles and maintains various departmental databases and queries for those databases
- Coordinates various departmental events, including:
- Publication and distribution of flyers and posters
- Website updates
- Catering services
- Schedules auxiliary services and room reservations
- Performs office duties for departmental staff, including occasional lengthy projects on computer
- Composes and types routine letters and memoranda
- Process study abroad applications
- Performs research as requested
- Runs departmental errands; e.g., picks up supplies from Torero Store
- Acts as coordinator to service departments
- Makes maintenance requests to Facilities Management, Telecommunications, etc.
- Maintains copying supplies and coordinates copy machine maintenance and repair.
- Assists in domestic and international student advising and programming
- Provides students with general information of undergraduate study abroad programs, application process and deadlines, etc.
- Assists with study abroad informational sessions, as needed
- Provides international students and scholars with general information on immigration documentation, travel restrictions, etc.
- Assists with international student and scholar check-ins, as needed
- Provides staffing support for international students and scholars programs, as needed
- Serves as telephone and office receptionist
- Answers several incoming lines
- Takes messages
- Gives information, directions and/or instructions
- Greets visitors
- Schedules meetings
- Arranges appointments
- Serves as liaison between full-time staff members and faculty/staff
- Receives, sorts, distributes, and sends mail and e-mail
- Maintains confidentiality
Special Conditions of Employment:
The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow our Covid-19 vaccine requirement process. https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
- Requires HS Diploma and minimum two years general office experience.
- Requires proficiency in Microsoft Office and all its applications, specifically Word and Excel.
- Customer service experience.
- Graphic design or desktop publishing experience.
- Second language skills.
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to prioritize workload effectively.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated experience using organizational skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to operate a personal computer and MS Office.
- Ability to operate a photocopier and facsimile machine
- Ability to compose letters and/or memoranda in English.
- Ability to use a 10 key calculator.
- Ability to file numerically, alphabetically, and alpha-numerically.
- Ability to answer several incoming telephone lines.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure.
- Demonstrated skills in both written and oral communications.
- Knowledge of department and university procedures.
$21.00 - $24.00 per hour
The range provided in this job posting is the full range of the position grade and not necessarily reflective of actual compensation that may be offered or earned, nor a promise of any specific pay for any specific employee, which is always dependent on actual experience, education and other factors including departmental budget.
|Special Application Instructions:
Resume and Cover Letter Required
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at email@example.com
Hours: 20 hours per week
Closing date: January 30, 2023
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.