Position Title & Department:
| Mail Specialist; Mail Center
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
The Mail Specialist is responsible for the accurate and expedient sorting of all incoming mail, and parcels and is accountable for the delivery of those items to various departments on campus. Accurately input department accounts into metering system and meter outgoing mail.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Sort incoming USPS, UPS, FedEx ground and overnight, DHL and any other courier delivered items.
- Accurately sort yearly totals of 1,316,880 USPS mail and parcels, 163,705 pieces of intercampus mail, 12,732 FedEx overnight items, and 21,119 UPS packages to students, faculty, staff and administrators.
- Same day sort of 98% of all first-class mail and parcels with a 99% accuracy rate.
- Assist Lead with accurate and expedient sorting of packages on loading dock using SCLogic Receiving Management System (i.e. scan, identify, label, download information into computer, print manifest and obtain delivery signature).
- Deliver sorted mail to campus
- Expedient delivery of accountable letters, time-sensitive grants and proposals and all classes of mail to 120 designated pick-up and delivery locations on campus.
- Track continuously changing USD employee location(s) for appropriate mail delivery
- Must be able to work efficiently, expeditiously and cautiously under adverse weather conditions
- Obtain signatures and be independently responsible for the correct delivery of all packages brought on campus
- Works independently while making deliveries and is able to make in-the-moment customer service decisions for USD community.
- In-depth knowledge of USD policy and procedures that impact responsibilities as well as in-depth knowledge of USPS, FedEx, UPS and other courier services.
- Meter out-going department mail
- Accurately input, using Global36 Metering system, correct POETS code and job name for out-going metered mail.
- In-depth knowledge of over 260 departments and their respective POETS codes
- Must be able to determine best rate for items being mailed. He or she must always be up-to-date with complex Postal information to enable themselves to make critical decisions as to the suitability of a mailpiece for whatever discounts are available
- Deliver metered and stamped mail to USPS.
- Drive USD vehicle to designated postal branch to pick up and drop off mail and supplies
- Responsible for purchasing, carrying between $600 - $2000 in cash, stamps and merchandise from local USPS branch.
- Deliver bulk mailings to USPS; uses independent judgment and makes critical decisions regarding accurate paperwork, current USPS policy and procedures to help expedite the processing of mail.
- Train new hires and work-study students.
- On-going training and immediate supervision of newly hired employee(s) and any work-study, and casual employees hired.
- Serves as liaison to the campus community
- Answers multiple incoming calls
- Takes accurate messages
- Gives information, directions and/or instructions
- Assures customers satisfaction with regard to delivery or inquiry of packages and or mail
- Greets visitors
- Requires HS Diploma and minimum of two years of customer service experience.
- At least six months in a similar mail room environment helpful.
Performance Expectations - Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to accurately sort to department and student mailboxes.
- Ability to memorize over 500 Faculty and over 1000 FT employee names and respective departments and locations on campus.
- Extensive knowledge of USPS stamp prices, rules, and regulations.
- Basic knowledge of UPS and FedEx services.
- Ability to operate scale, cash register, computer, and metering systems accurately.
- Ability to access, input and track data using specialized tracking system.
- Ability to access, input, retrieve data with regard to student housing information on VAX.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure to meet various deadlines with a high accuracy rate.
- Able and willing to represent the University in a positive manner.
- Must maintain composure under the pressure of timely deliveries that may be compounded by interfering traffic and pedestrians.
- Must be able to plan and prioritize duties, deliveries, and processing on a daily basis
- Demonstrated skills in both written and oral communications.
- Ability to get along with diverse personalities and populations.
- Ability to cooperate as a team player within all areas of the Mail Center.
- Possess flexibility and versatility to work effectively in an ever-changing environment.
Special Conditions of Employment:
- Must have California drivers license as he or she may need to drive University vehicle(s)
- Able to work overtime during peak times when deemed necessary.
Tools & Equipment Used:
Computer, telephone, cash register, calculator, postage scale, van, gas cart, dolly, pallet jack, metering systems, barcode scanner, fax, copier, and other related office equipment.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
$15.00 per hour; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
|Special Application Instructions:
Click 'Apply Now' to complete our online application and, for full consideration, please upload a resume
to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours: 37.5 hours per week; flexible.
Closing date: Open until filled.
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.