Position Title & Department:
| Custodian 1 Swing Shift; Facilities Management
The mission of the University of San Diego Facilities Management Department is to efficiently operate, maintain, and support the development of quality facilities, grounds, and services, and at the same time to support our campus community, students, faculty, and staff. Through our efforts we support the university's commitment to pursuing truth, academic excellence, and the advancement of knowledge.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Contemporary Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
Provides routine and non-routine support associated with the daily cleaning of buildings. Performs various duties requiring moderate physical strength. Typical routine duties include, but are not limited to: dust mopping, sweeping, wet mopping, vacuuming, dusting, cleaning restrooms, removing trash, polishing furniture, operation of basic mechanical cleaning equipment and filling out simple forms.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Clean and disinfect restrooms/shower rooms and fixtures (toilet, urinals, etc)
- Keep restroom dispensers supplied with towels, soap, sanitary napkins, etc.
- Vacuum carpets, rugs, mats.
- Dust mop, sweep and wet mop floors.
- Police public areas.
- Empty trash receptacles and replace liners.
- Clean elevators and stairwells.
- Straighten/arrange furniture.
- Clean chalk/white boards and trays.
- Clean drinking fountains.
- Spot clean carpets, rugs, walk-off mats.
- Empty recycle containers.
- Spot mop floors.
- Spot clean windows, walls, doors and other above floor surfaces.
- Dust and/or clean furniture, windowsills and other above floor surfaces.
- Spray buff floors.
- Polish furniture and fixtures.
- Strip and refinish floors.
- Wash windows and blinds.
- Shampoo carpets, rugs and walk-off mats.
- Machine scrub floors.
- Residential summer conference support.
- Inventory and order supplies.
- Perform related work as required and instructed.
- Must have a full understanding of the Hazardous Communication Programs and the information contained in the Material Safety Data Sheets and all Warning Labels.
- Consistently follow safety practices appropriate to the trade and comply with rules and regulations established by the University, state and federal agencies.
Special Conditions of Employment:
- Must be able to work assigned hours and may be required to work overtime and on weekends, as needed.
- Job hours and/or workday may be changed when necessary to meet supervisory commitments.
- Employee is required to wear a uniform prescribed and furnished by USD.
- May take the University supplied (self-study) enrichment courses and participate in various seminars related to the trade.
- May be asked to work in the vicinity of laboratories that may contain bio-hazardous radioactive, or other potentially hazardous substances where detectable amounts of chemicals and materials known to the State of California to cause cancer or birth defects, or other reproductive harm can be found.
Effective June 1, 2023, based on CDC guidance, the University strongly encourages all campus members to stay up to date with Influenza and COVID-19 vaccination recommendations. For more regarding information USD's COVID-19 protocols, please visit sandiego.edu/onward.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
- Ability to perform manual tasks requiring moderate physical strength.
- Must be able to follow simple oral and written instructions in English.
- Must be able to complete simple forms and conduct simple inventories of supplies.
- Must be able to maintain good working relations with students, faculty and staff, and adhere to University policies and procedures.
- Must be able to work alone or with minimal supervision.
- Ability to operate basic mechanical cleaning equipment.
- Understands the importance of customer service and has the ability to follow-up as well as communicate to FM and the campus clients.
$17.10 - $18.65 per hour; Excellent Benefits
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package including; medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University, and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
The salary range provided in this posting reflects what we reasonably expect to pay for this position. Actual compensation offered or earned is dependent on experience, education and other factors including departmental budget.
|Special Application Instructions:
Click the 'Apply Now' button to complete our online application and, for full consideration, please upload a resume
to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at email@example.com.
Hours: 37.5 hours per week; 1:30 pm - 9:30 pm
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.