Position Title & Department:
| Graphic Designer; Athletics
As part of the University of San Diego, a Roman Catholic University, the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics is committed to advancing academic and athletic excellence and enhancing students' lives while promoting the University of San Diego.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
Under the general direction of the Associate Director of Athletics for External Affairs, and with a strong emphasis on collegiate athletics experience and a passion for sports, the Graphic Designer provides creative direction, concept development, design, production, and coordination for a wide range of print and digital initiatives. This includes external and internal communications and branding for 17 sports, toolkits and guides, event and promotional collateral, photography integrations, illustrations, presentation materials, social media campaigns, and athletic facility signage in support of Athletics engagement and revenue opportunities.
The Graphic Designer is expected to work within the parameters of the University of San Diego Athletics’ vision and strategic plan, staying on brand and message while still bringing creativity, enthusiasm, and innovation to each project. This position requires a collaborative approach, the ability to meet critical deadlines, and a commitment to producing high-quality work for a variety of projects and “clients.” Additionally, this position manages art direction for related creative assets in video and email campaigns, staying current with the evolving trends in design within the collegiate athletic landscape.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Design and Production:
- Conceptualize, design, and produce a range of print and digital materials that increase the profile and visibility to University of San Diego Athletics. These include, but are not limited to promotional graphics and materials (events, schedules, awards, milestones, players, etc.), monthly reports, ads, email campaigns, web and social media assets, and fundraising/recruitment and presentation materials, and athletic facility signage.
- Assure that printed and online materials properly reflect the institution’s brand, messaging, and tone.
- Manage production elements for all materials; art direct team members/interns, and maintain, organize, and archive artwork files.
- Fulfill creative requests from External Affairs team.
- Other duties as assigned to advance projects, initiatives, and priorities of University of San Diego Athletics.
Special Conditions of Employment:
- Availability to work occasional long hours, nights and weekends.
- Successful completion of required background checks.
Effective June 1, 2023, based on CDC guidance, the University strongly encourages all campus members to stay up to date with Influenza and COVID-19 vaccination recommendations. For more regarding information USD's COVID-19 protocols, please visit sandiego.edu/onward.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in graphic design, visual communication, or related field.
- Minimum of two years’ experience in graphic design and creative direction supported by a strong portfolio showcasing relevant work.
- Extensive knowledge of design principles, techniques, social media trends, color, and printing.
- Expert knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and Acrobat; experience with all Adobe Creative Suite applications.
- Experience with Google applications, CMS platforms.
- Working knowledge of PowerPoint, Word, and Excel.
- Familiarity with UX/UI design.
- Strong conceptual thinking skills.
- Experience working with clients on projects from conception to completion.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license. Must be willing to drive university or personal vehicle to/from facilities for quality checks and final approval prior to events if necessary.
- Five years’ experience in graphic design and creative direction supported by a strong portfolio showcasing relevant work.
- Experience in collegiate athletics, sports organizations, or broadcast production.
- Possess technical skills to edit photographs and video.
- Experience with visual storytelling including illustration, video, motion graphics and animation.
Performance Expectations - Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Creative and innovative thinker with the ability to work independently or as an active, productive member of a team.
- Strong sense of integrity and ethical conduct.
- Cultural competency and sensitivity a must; ability to understand different cultural contexts and viewpoints, demonstrate respect for others, adapt to different cultural settings; and accept cultural differences.
- Excellent communication skills required as well as exceptional critical listening and thinking skills. Command of the English language, including AP writing style, and standard grammar, spelling, punctuation, syntax, and proofreading skill.
- Must exhibit attention to detail with excellent organizational and time management skills; remain professional under pressure.
- Ability to assume responsibility, problem solve, and exercise independent judgment when making decisions.
- Must possess a clear understanding of the university’s branding, writing, and graphic standards and ensure standards are adhered to at all times.
- Knowledge of USD’s policies and procedures.
- Must be friendly and personable.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Heartsaver CPR /AED certification required within 6 weeks of employment.
- California driver’s license required within six weeks of employment.
$5,373.34 - $6,043.42 per month; Excellent Benefits
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package including; medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University, and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
The salary range provided in this posting reflects what we reasonably expect to pay for this position. Actual compensation offered or earned is dependent on experience, education and other factors including departmental budget.
|Special Application Instructions:
Resume and Cover Letter Required
Click the 'Apply Now' button to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter, resume and portfolio of your work to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at email@example.com.
40 hours per week
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.