Join the University of San Diego culinary team! Be an integral part of our award-winning, nationally recognized culinary program. We are proud to provide 2.5 million meals each year for our campus community of over 8,000 students, in addition to faculty, staff and visitors. Our diverse portfolio of dining locations and services includes; a full service restaurant and pub, retail outlets (four cafes and a coffeehouse), a market and deli, a food court featuring an array of global cuisine, outstanding catering services, athletic concessions at multiple locations, and food service for the child development center.
USD Dining is a not-for-profit department within Auxiliary Services that proudly serves the campus community and annually allocates earnings back to the University of San Diego and students. USD Dining is consistently ranked among the best university dining programs in the nation. Tu Mercado is a convenient one-stop-shop that offers a market, groceries, deli, and espresso bar - all the essentials for home and campus living. The Spirit Shop features USD clothing, gifts, cards, Torero merchandise, and more.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
The Division of Student Affairs is committed to grounding our policies, programs, and procedures in antiracist practice. With this commitment, we recognize the importance of educating ourselves and holding one another accountable to ensure our work is approached through an equity, inclusion, and social justice lens. We recognize our need for ongoing development in this area, and continue to strive to improve. We expect all members of the Division of Student Affairs are willing to engage in this work alongside us to uphold our Catholic mission in creating a welcoming environment where the dignity of all students, staff, administrators, and faculty at USD is embraced.
The University seeks an individual with a strong interest in working in a mission driven, faith-based institution. The role of a Senior Supervisor is working with the campus community and responsibilities of the position are significantly tethered in the university’s contemporary Roman Catholic mission.
Provides quality and quantity food production/preparation and service as assigned, as well as complete financial accountability for cash control, daily cash receipts, use of the cash register and inventory controls for assigned area. Cleans and maintains equipment and utensils. Maintains safety and sanitation standards in the workplace. Maintains good customer relations in a high volume workplace. The Senior Supervisor may assist in other retail areas when his/her primary area is closed. In a team effort with the manager and unit leader, supervises, trains and evaluates all personnel. In the absence of the manager or unit leader, assumes complete responsibility for assigned area.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the quality and quantity preparation of all menu items.
- Reviews menu with Unit Leader or Area Manager and coordinates daily production workload.
- Informs management of shortages and helps plan for back up items as needed.
- Follows correct methods of preparation.
- Organizes work areas to ensure ease of operation.
- Makes products to specification, review recipes with management for variances in finished product, including yield, appearance, taste and texture.
- Follows sequential production time frames as established by Area Manager for maximum quality control.
- Responsible for maintaining proper portion size and food temperature of menu items.
- Ensures proper rotation and storage of all products.
- Assists in the proper storage and utilization of leftovers.
- Responsible for the timely delivery, setup and dispensing of menu items as specified.
- Assists in completion of production/event records.
- Verifies quantity and quality of all incoming product.
- Operates all kitchen equipment properly.
- Conducts monthly inventory and maintenance of products.
- Responsible for ordering food and nonfood items for each event or area.
- Assists in research, development and testing of new recipes and menus.
- In area supervised may assist in setting up satellite stands and/or carts as needed depending on the event.
- Assists in accessing weekly/events scheduling needs.
- Attends weekly production meetings.
- Responsible for start-up procedures for Point of Sale at beginning of meal/event and shut-down procedures at end of meal/event.
- Accurately and consistently monitors patron meal cards to ensure proper use and access. Confiscates IDs as appropriate.
- Accurately and consistently monitors cash for all cash customers.
- Responsible for posting current menu offerings with correct spelling and maintaining cleanliness of menu and product display boards.
- Assists in training part-time cashiers in proper use of Point of Sale system.
- Audits cash drawer before and after each day worked. Responsible for reporting any discrepancies to management immediately.
- Enforces all cash control procedures.
- Informs patrons of meal and point balance per customer request or if balance is low.
- Maintains security of cash drawer and ID cards during meal times. Secures all cash in area safe.
- Responsible for maintaining change for safe and cash box.
- Takes accurate monthly inventories.
- Maintains good customer relations through attitude, appearance and attention to detail in daily work.
- Maintains consistent high-quality standards; quality-tests every finished product for taste, texture, appearance and temperature.
- Assures that all foods are attractively garnished and appropriately displayed.
- Ensures that products are not held longer than establishing holding time frames.
- Services customer/guest needs with the appropriate sense of business urgency to provide quality service.
- Reports feedback from customer to unit leader and/or area manager.
- Provides input on menu, and special meals in weekly production meetings.
- Acts as information source for assigned area/dining services.
- Maintains customer relations with all departments and contracted vendors.
- Assists in monitoring product movement for assigned area and recommends action.
- Sets leadership example by willingness to work all job tasks.
- Provides consistent feedback to employees regarding performance.
- Responsible for smooth workflow, communication and ideas through a congenial, caring and supportive attitude.
- Ensures that employees understand and adhere to all Dining Services policies and procedures.
- Delegates assignments as appropriate and follows up to ensure work is accurate and complete.
- Orients all new part-time employees to the location of products and equipment.
- Trains all part-time employees in proper cooking procedures, cooking times and temperatures.
- Trains part-time employees in the proper use of all equipment.
Safety and Sanitation
- Implements and maintains proper safety and sanitation standards in the workplace.
- Utilizes proper food handling methods and techniques.
- Assists in all scheduled cleanup operations.
- Operates equipment in an energy efficient manner. Uses efficient startup/shutdown schedule for equipment.
- Maintains excellent personal hygiene, including care of uniforms, shoes and head covering.
- In absence of management, responsible for the security of the unit.
- Maintains kitchen cleanliness/sanitation during operation.
- Does not participate in unsafe acts and sets a good example for other workers.
- Reports all accidents and/or injuries to management immediately.
- Reports all equipment maintenance problems to Unit Leader or Area Manager.
- Places work order to repair equipment or facilities to the appropriate company or university department.
- Knows location of fire extinguishers and Ansul System pull stations and how to use them.
- Know and follows HACCP rules and regulations.
- Knows and follows all University and Dining Services policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Special Conditions of Employment:
- Must be able to work a varied hourly work schedule including evenings, weekends and holidays.
- May be laid off during slow periods (December/January and May).
- Must be able to work flexible schedule during intersession and summer conference periods.
- Must have excellent personal hygiene because of contact with food and food products.
- Must be willing to work other dining areas when needed.
Effective June 1, 2023, based on CDC guidance, the University strongly encourages all campus members to stay up to date with Influenza and COVID-19 vaccination recommendations. For more regarding information USD's COVID-19 protocols, please visit sandiego.edu/onward.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent.
- At least 2 years of related experience.
- Must have cash handling experience, including daily reconciliation of registers.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Understanding of proper cashiering methods; good math skills.
- Knowledge of kitchen/bar equipment.
- Knowledge of proper cook times, temperatures and food preparation procedures and techniques.
- Understanding of basic sanitation and safety requirements.
- Strong communication skills and problem solving abilities.
- Ability to organize personnel, work and materials for maximum productivity.
- Proven ability to supervise and motivate staff.
- Excellent skills in the use of specific equipment and tools as identified below, as well as their preventive maintenance and calibration requirements.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Must possess or obtain the Serve Safe Food Safety Certificate.
- Must complete the University’s Hazmat Communication Program.
$22.50 - 23.39; Excellent Benefits
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package including; medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University, and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
The salary range provided in this posting reflects what we reasonably expect to pay for this position. Actual compensation offered or earned is dependent on experience, education and other factors including departmental budget.