The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
Responsible for providing general support and assistance to the Human Resources department, focusing on one or more of the following areas:
• Benefits Administration
• Learning & Development
• Operations/Administrative Assistance to HR Leadership
• HR Systems
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides broad assistance to the Human Resources team in all facets of HR.
- Serves as one of several back-ups to the Customer Service Receptionist for front desk coverage.
- Assists with reviewing, routing and/or answering HR department emails and mail.
- Assists with employee questions through phone calls, emails and walk-ins.
- Assists with coordination of Human Resources events.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Will also be assigned to assist in one or more of the following areas:
- Assists with processing employee insurance and benefit enrollments and changes.
- Assists with processing and filing workers’ compensation claims.
- Responds to employee benefit inquiries.
- Assists with annual open enrollment and monitors enrollment results.
- May assist with reconciliation of monthly vendor statements and troubleshooting/resolving discrepancies.
- Assists with administration of tuition exchange and tuition remission programs.
- May communicate with benefit vendors to resolve enrollment and service issues.
- Provides support to the benefits team in administration of employee retirement plans including answering questions and assisting employees with enrollment and plan contribution changes.
- Assists with scheduling various benefit-related events.
- Assists with the development and distribution of benefit educational materials.
- Assists with benefits communications including presentations to employees.
- Provide administrative support with employee leaves of absence.
- Assist in maintaining employee benefits files.
Learning & Development
- Assists with logistics, coordination and facilitation of Faculty and New Employee Orientations and related on-boarding sessions.
- Assists with coordination of training and development programs.
- Assists with communication of scheduled training events using designated media (online, virtual or social media platforms, e-mail, calendar, notice boards, etc.).
- Assists with design of training calendars or program catalogs as needed.
- Assists with developing and updating related internet and web portal pages.
- Coordinates logistics for live training events including participant lists, trainers, catering, equipment, room reservations, and supplies.
- Coordinates logistics for virtual training events including participant lists, trainers, zoom set-up and administration.
- Fields and answers questions regarding training events appropriately.
- Coordinates and maintains enrollment records, registrations, confirmations and cancellations for training workshops.
- Coordinates and monitors employee compliance training completion and follows-up with employee and department as necessary.
- Assists with administration, user support and maintenance of Workday Learning Management System.
Operations/Administrative Assistance to HR Leadership
- May manage calendars for members of HR leadership.
- Manages HR internal master calendar and timeline of HR projects including action items and follow-up to ensure completion.
- Attends committee meetings as assigned to take and distribute meeting minutes.
- Makes travel/conference arrangements.
- Assists with HR Budget Administration including tracking and managing department discretionary budget for all expenditures.
- May assist with ordering, monitoring and paying monthly invoices for HR supplies and services.
- Assists with planning and executing office staff meetings and events including scheduling, venue and catering requirements.
- Tracks HR department birthdays and other milestones and coordinates appropriate recognition (gifts, cards, celebrations).
- Assists in oversight of reception area.
- Orders new office signage, name badges and business cards.
- Oversees and organizes storage rooms/closets and assists in ordering office supplies.
- Coordinates office moves, maintenance and repairs (carpet, painting, etc.) by submitting work order requests.
- Monitors HR Cart maintenance schedule and daily cart check-out log.
- Assists in onboarding new HR employees and trains new employees on office procedures, confidentiality requirements and use of HR cart.
- Maintains and communicates emergency personnel and procedure information for the department.
- Assists with internal office communications regarding absences and other updates.
- Assists in the maintenance of Human Resources systems.
- Works with users to answer questions, train, and resolve routine system issues.
- Assists with generating and updating reports.
- Assists with data audits and clean-up.
- Assists with system testing.
- Coordinates Workday training events.
- Assists with the development of course syllabus, outlines and course materials for training related to HRIS systems.
- Assists with developing systems-related procedures, correspondence and publications including Quick Reference Guides.
- Assists with maintenance of assigned web pages and MySanDiego employee portal resources.
Special Conditions of Employment:
Effective June 1, 2023, based on CDC guidance, the University strongly encourages all campus members to stay up to date with Influenza and COVID-19 vaccination recommendations. For more regarding information USD's COVID-19 protocols, please visit sandiego.edu/onward.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
- High School Diploma or GED (General Education Diploma) equivalent.
- 2+ years of general office experience required.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred.
- Some general HR experience or experience in one of the above sub-functions preferred.
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Considerable working knowledge of computers including MS Office programs, email, calendaring, creation of slide decks and spreadsheets.
- Working knowledge of standard, contemporary Human Resources Information system/s preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent telephone etiquette and customer service skills.
- Accuracy and proofreading skills.
- Handle sensitive and confidential employee information with tact and discretion.
- Relate effectively with a wide variety of people, both on the telephone and in person.
- Provide excellent service to employees and communicate in a courteous, prompt and efficient manner.
- Be consistently reliable and punctual.
- Analyze and assess situations and respond with the appropriate course of action.
$19.20 - $31.67 per hour; Excellent Benefits
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package including; medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University, and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
The salary range provided in this posting reflects what we reasonably expect to pay for this position. Actual compensation offered or earned is dependent on experience, education and other factors including departmental budget.
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.