Position Title & Department:
| Digital Content Manager; College of Arts and Sciences
As the liberal arts heart of the University of San Diego, the College of Arts and Sciences is filled with students who are versatile and multi-talented. No matter their major, graduates from the college are equipped with transferable skills that benefit them wherever their professional and personal ambitions lead.
Founded in 1949, the college has a rich history of providing the core curriculum for every undergraduate USD student, a tradition that continues today. By offering 29 majors, 37 minors and 3 graduate programs, the college is where undergraduate students begin and graduate students refine their paths towards academic excellence and personal achievement.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
The Digital Content Manager will write, develop, edit, and publish website updates and copy onto nineteen College of Arts and Sciences department website pages as well as sixteen interdisciplinary programs, the Humanities Center, Core Curriculum, and Honors Program pages. This candidate will meet with department chairs, and then collect, construct, and build content updates on the Cascade web content management system to enhance existing website pages for the College with an emphasis on alumni and research. Adhering to strict university branding and writing standards is paramount. Other duties include working with the marketing team to write and post College-related news stories and events, videos, marketing campaigns, social media posts, infographics, and more.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops and publishes digital content that helps highlight the College’s alumni, faculty and students (on the website and social media) while adhering to the university’s branding standards.
- Works with department chairs and program directors to develop timely stories that help promote and create awareness of the College.
- Conducts interviews with alumni, faculty and students that pertain to college news articles and updates and converts information into online content.
Web Updates and Maintenance
- Creates updates and maintains the College of Arts and Sciences website. These updates include but are not limited to: adding to and editing web pages from the College’s academic departments, five centers and three programs, editing faculty names and titles, building new web pages to showcase faculty accomplishments and research, adding pictures and videos produced by marketing team members to web pages.
- Reviews and approves Cascade updates (e.g., deadline and curriculum updates) from college departments, interdisciplinary programs and departmental executive assistants.
- Reviews and approves all College of Arts and Sciences MyPostings events, news and/or announcement submissions. These submissions include short news articles and event postings created internally to promote faculty accomplishments and on-campus events on our university website.
- Uses search engine optimization (SEO) in web writing to maximize website presence and traffic by implementing keywords and phrases to various web pages. Creates a unique meta description for each web page.
- Monitors all College web pages, including internships, scholarships and student research opportunities to identify needed updates or mistakes that need correcting.
- Conducts monthly audits of all College web pages (600+ pages).
- Holds semesterly website meetings with department chairs and executive assistants. This will include working with each department on web updates that are specific to and customized for each department.
- Collects appropriate and necessary images to add to the website and resizes them to specific dimensions contingent on where they are placed on the web pages.
- Works with the Information Technology Services (ITS) if any technical web issues arise.
- Helps develop and produce College videos that will be shared on the web, social media and the College’s YouTube channel.
- Assists with social media stories and posts (on Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, LinkedIn, Twitter and YouTube).
- Assists with graphic design elements for digital collateral.
Special Conditions of Employment:
The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow our Covid-19 vaccine requirement process. https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
- Bachelor’s degree and three years of experience in web writing and design required
- Graphic design experience (Adobe Creative Suite)
- Search Engine Optimization
- Social media management
- Excellent writing and interpersonal communication skills; if selected for an interview, writing and website samples will be required
- A commitment to the liberal arts educational mission of the College and USD
- Web writing and design (content and photography)
- AP style
- Knowledge of social media
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Basic graphic design
- Basic videography
Required knowledge of:
- Search engine optimization
- UX (user experience) writing
- Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator and Premiere Pro, especially)
- Google docs/sheets
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Highly organized and motivated
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office, Google office products, social media and other media platforms; Excellent use of Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, and other creative applications)
- Ability to work collegially with faculty, staff, students and members of the community
- Ability to interface with individuals at all levels in professional and courteous manner
- Establish and maintain strong relationships, both internally and externally
- Show initiative, set priorities and use good, sound judgment
- Multi-task, prioritize and meet competing deadlines
- Possess thorough knowledge of general office practices and procedures
- Be responsible, proactive and work well under pressure in a fast-paced and changing environment
- Work independently with minimal direction and oversight
- Be organized and view attention to detail as critical to performance
- Flexible, creative with a can-do attitude in a team-oriented environment
- Gain an understanding and knowledge of the College, division and university procedures
- Use empathetic listening skills, communicate with clarity and maintain an attitude that conveys respect, assistance, honesty, integrity and resourcefulness
- Open to change and flexible to work some nights and weekends, as necessary
$5,373.34 - $5,400 per month; Excellent Benefits
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package including; medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University, and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
The salary range provided in this posting reflects what we reasonably expect to pay for this position. Actual compensation offered or earned is dependent on experience, education and other factors including departmental budget.
|Special Application Instructions:
Resume Required, Cover Letter Preferred
Click 'Apply Now' to complete our online application and, for full consideration, please upload a resume
to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. You are also strongly recommended to upload a cover letter
to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.