The Lead Cashier coordinates the daily operation of the Cashiers Office and ensures compliance of established policies, procedures and internal controls. The Lead Cashier works at the customer counter performing a variety of tasks which include: check cashing, receipt of payments from parents and students, verifies and receipts interdepartmental deposits and payments, records bagged deposits, issues petty cash disbursements, maintains and balances a cash drawer of $15,000, disburses accounts payable checks and One Cards.
Strong emphasis is placed on this person’s ability to work independently and use professional judgement in the completion of his/her assigned responsibilities. This position interacts with all levels of students and their families, and administrators and staff on a daily basis.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Coordinates Functions/Tasks of the Cashiers Office.
- Ensures adequate coverage for the customer window.
- Ensures policies and procedures are being followed.
- Ensures accountability of University receipts and that funds are processed within the department guidelines.
- Ensures cash vault is adequately stocked to support USD community cash orders.
- Oversee book buyback procedure.
- Distribute workload to guarantee completion
- Assign and oversee Cashier position to ensure duties completed
- Monitor and approve employee time cards and vacation time.
- Inform Account Resolution Supervisor of problematic situations that require resolution.
- Update staff with necessary information to ensure optimal performance.
General Cashiering Responsibilities.
- Cash personal checks for employees.
- Distributes One Cards and accounts payable checks.
- Receives, verifies and inputs student and departmental deposits.
- Verify receipts and distribute to originating department.
- Receive, process and verify change requests.
- Verify and maintain all cash receipts and deposits for overnight safekeeping.
- Balances $15,000 cash drawer daily.
- Sort, count and wrap currency and coins.
- Contact point at the Hughes Administration Building for inquires/directions from campus visitors, parents and USD community
- Communicate and respond to our community via phone, emails and in-person in a professional manner.
- Apply wire transfer and Flywire transfer payments received daily.
- Serves as the main point of customer service contact for the Cashier’s Office phone extension and email@example.com email including research and resolution of all inquiries received.
- Research and log all checks received at the Cashier’s Office and forward to corresponding department/person.
- Works closely with Undergrad/Grad Admissions to ensure that all commitment deposits are accurately posted.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Maintain petty cash fund.
- Analyze and verify accuracy and completeness of vouchers.
- Validate authorizing signature on petty cash to authorized signers for corresponding department.
- Monitor missing receipts and block additional petty cash until resolved.
- Distribute and collect funds for petty cash advances.
- Contacts corresponding departments to settle past due petty cash advances.
- Review outstanding petty cash advances and exceptions with Account Resolution Supervisor.
- Prepares petty cash log for the Procurement Department.
- Submit check to bank for reimbursement of cash.
Special Conditions of Employment:
The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow our Covid-19 vaccine requirement process. https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.