Join the University of San Diego culinary team! Be an integral part of our award-winning, nationally recognized culinary program. We are proud to provide 2.5 million meals each year for our campus community of over 8,000 students, in addition to faculty, staff and visitors. Our diverse portfolio of dining locations and services includes; a full service restaurant and pub, retail outlets (four cafes and a coffeehouse), a market and deli, a food court featuring an array of global cuisine, outstanding catering services, athletic concessions at multiple locations, and food service for the child development center.
Pavilion Dining is home to an array of unique dining concepts that fuse distinct ingredients and flavors to create delicious menus in an inviting environment. Menus were developed in partnership with the Culinary Institute of America at Greystone. Recipient of a Silver Loyal E. Horton Award presented by NACUFS for excellence in dining.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
The Division of Student Affairs is committed to grounding our policies, programs, and procedures in antiracist practice. With this commitment, we recognize the importance of educating ourselves and holding one another accountable to ensure our work is approached through equity, inclusion, and social justice lens. We recognize our need for ongoing development in this area and continue to strive to improve. We expect all members of the Division of Student Affairs are willing to engage in this work alongside us to uphold our Catholic mission in creating a welcoming environment where the dignity of all students, staff, administrators, and faculty at USD is embraced
The University seeks an individual with a strong interest in working in a mission-driven, faith-based institution. The role of a Cook is working with the campus community and the responsibilities of the position are significantly tethered in the university’s contemporary Roman Catholic mission.
The Cook is responsible for providing skilled assistance in the supervision and preparation of all food production, maintenance of quality and/or portion control, and the maintenance of sanitation and safety standards.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervises and participates in the quality and quantity preparation of all menu items.
- In the absence of the direct supervisor, has complete responsibility for the preparation of specified meals.
- Reviews menu with supervisor and coordinates daily production; organizes work areas to ensure ease of operation.
- Checks production sheet against inventory to assure necessary items are on hand; assists in planning for backup items as needed.
- Inspects work area for any problems or discrepancies and reports findings to supervisor.
- Assists in forecasting proper quantity preparation for each item served.
- Follows correct methods of preparation.
- Makes products to specification and reviews recipes with supervisor for variances in the finished product, including yield, appearance, taste, texture.
- Ensures proper product portioning.
- Follows sequential production time frames as established by the supervisor for maximum quality control.
- Responsible for the timely delivery, setup, and dispensing of menued items as specified.
- Assists in completion of production/event records.
- Verifies quantity and quality of all incoming products.
- Ensures proper rotation and storage of all products.
- Operates all kitchen equipment properly.
- May assist in the determination and ordering of products and supplies.
- Assists in research, development, and testing of new recipes and menus.
- Attends weekly production meetings.
- Maintains good customer relations through attitude, appearance, and attention to detail in daily work.
- Maintains consistent high-quality standards; quality-tests every finished product for taste, texture, appearance, and temperature.
- Assures that all foods are attractively garnished and appropriately displayed.
- Ensures that products are not held longer than establishing holding time frames.
- Services customer/guest needs with the appropriate sense of business urgency to provide quality service.
- Reports feedback from the customer to supervisor and/or area manager.
- Provides input on menu, and special meals in weekly production meetings.
- Sets leadership example by willingness to work all job tasks.
- Provides consistent feedback to employees regarding performance.
- Responsible for smooth workflow, communication and ideas through a congenial, caring and supportive attitude.
- Ensures that employees understand and adhere to all Dining Services polices and procedures.
- Delegates assignments as appropriate and follows up to ensure work is accurate and complete.
- Orients all new part-time employees to the location of products and equipment.
- Trains all part-time employees in proper cooking procedures, cooking times and temperatures.
- Trains part-time employees in the proper use of all equipment.
Safety and Sanitation
- Implements and maintains proper safety and sanitation standards in the workplace.
- Utilizes proper food handling methods and techniques.
- Assists in all scheduled cleanup operations.
- Operates equipment in an energy-efficient manner. Uses efficient startup/shutdown schedule for equipment.
- Maintains excellent personal hygiene, including care of uniforms, shoes, and head covering.
- In absence of a supervisor, responsible for the security of the unit.
- Maintains kitchen cleanliness/sanitation during operation.
- Does not participate in unsafe acts and sets a good example for other workers.
- Reports all accidents and/or injuries to supervisor immediately.
- Reports all equipment maintenance problems to supervisor.
- Knows location of fire extinguishers and Ansul System pull stations and how to use them.
- Knows and follows all University and Dining Services policies and procedures
- Cooks working in Retail areas will need to know how to use the POS system
- Cooks may have to work as a cashier as needed and therefore know how to handle cash in all retail areas.
- Assist in monthly inventory
- Other duties as assigned.
Special Conditions of Employment:
- Must be able to work a varied hourly work schedule including evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule during intersession and summer conference periods.
- Must have excellent personal hygiene because of contact with food and food products.
- Must complete a 3-hour sanitation class as required by the San Diego Health Department.
- Must complete the University’s Hazmat Communication Program.
- Must complete an 8-hour Serv Safe as required by the San Diego Health Department.
The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow our Covid-19 vaccine requirement process. https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent.
- At least 3 years of related experience.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Knowledge of proper cook times, temperatures, and food preparation procedures and techniques.
- Understanding of basic sanitation and safety requirements.
- Strong communication skills and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to organize personnel, work, and materials for maximum productivity.
- Proven ability to supervise and motivate staff.
- Excellent skills in the use of specific equipment and tools as identified below, as well as their preventive maintenance and calibration requirement
$16.30 - $25.14 per hour; Excellent Benefits
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package including; medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University, and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
The range provided in this job posting is the full range of the position grade and not necessarily reflective of actual compensation that may be offered or earned, nor a promise of any specific pay for any specific employee, which is always dependent on actual experience, education and other factors including departmental budget.
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.