Join the University of San Diego culinary team! Be an integral part of our award-winning, nationally recognized culinary program. We are proud to provide 2.5 million meals each year for our campus community of over 8,000 students, in addition to faculty, staff and visitors. Our diverse portfolio of dining locations and services includes; a full service restaurant and pub, retail outlets (four cafes and a coffeehouse), a market and deli, a food court featuring an array of global cuisine, outstanding catering services, athletic concessions at multiple locations, and food service for the child development center.
Pavilion Dining is home to an array of unique dining concepts that fuse distinct ingredients and flavors to create delicious menus in an inviting environment. Menus were developed in partnership with the Culinary Institute of America at Greystone. Recipient of a Silver Loyal E. Horton Award presented by NACUFS for excellence in dining.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
The University seeks an individual with a strong interest in working in a mission-driven, faith-
based institution. The role of the Pastry Chef in working with the campus community and
the responsibilities of the position are significantly tethered to the university’s contemporary Roman Catholic mission.
The Pastry Chef is responsible for the organization, coordination, and supervision of the preparation of bakery products, fancy pastries, cakes, and desserts and maintains quality and/or portion control of bakery products and the maintenance of sanitation and safety standards. The Pastry Chef supervises, coordinates, and evaluates the work of the baker and other baking staff members. Typically, they perform the more difficult baking duties and participate in the recipe and product development. They will assist the Chef de Cuisine and Chef Manager in the development of departmental goals.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Complete responsibility for bakery preparation, including production, Retail Bakery, chocolate shop, special functions, catering, and special desserts for La Gran Terraza.
- Responsible for the quality and quantity preparation of all bakery production.
- Reviews menu, assigns and coordinates daily workload, and organizes work areas to ensure ease of operation.
- Checks production sheets against inventory to ensure necessary items are on hand; plans for backup items as needed.
- Forecasts proper quantity preparation for each item served.
- Ensures products are made to specification; reviews recipes for variances in the finished product, including yield, appearance, taste, and texture; takes corrective action.
- Determines correct methods of bakery preparation; instructs staff in correct methods.
- Coordinates and instructs staff in appropriate sequential production time frames for maximum quality control.
- Responsible for ordering products and supplies for daily production needs.
- Responsible for proper storage, dating, rotation of product, and utilization of leftovers.
- Fills out and follows daily production sheets, responsible for the completion of production records.
- Researches develops, and tests new recipes; costs out recipes.
- Maintains ongoing communication with all management staff to ensure efficient and timely delivery, product quality, and service. Reports problems to senior management.
- Attends weekly production meetings.
- Responsible for the direction, supervision, training, and evaluation of Baker and Bakery staff.
- Sets leadership example by a willingness to work on all job tasks.
- Provides regular feedback to employees regarding performance.
- Able to operate kitchen equipment and train others on its proper use.
- Responsible for the smooth flow of work, communication, and ideas through a congenial, caring, and supportive attitude.
- Delegates assignments as appropriate and follows up to ensure that work is accurate and complete.
- Ensures that employees understand and adhere to all Dining Services Policies and procedures.
- Reports any problems (disciplinary or otherwise) to management. In the absence of a manager, takes remedial action to solve the problem.
- Maintains good customer relations through attitude, appearance, and attention to detail in daily work.
- Maintains consistent, high-quality standards; quality-tests every finished product for taste, texture, and appearance.
- Is creative in garnishing and service to market products to full advantage in all areas.
- Supervises service line to ensure product quality standards are maintained: temperature, appearance, garnish, and portioning.
- Ensures that products are not held longer than established holding times.
- Services customer's/guests needs with the appropriate sense of business urgency to provide a quality service.
- Reports feedback from customers to managers.
- Inputs on the menu and special meals in weekly production meetings.
Safety and Sanitation
- Implements and maintains proper safety and sanitation standards in the workplace.
- Supervises employees in proper food handling methods and techniques.
- Assists in the shut-down clean-up operation.
- Operates in energy efficient manner. Uses start-up schedule for equipment.
- Maintains excellent personal hygiene, including care of uniform, shoes, and head covering for all staff.
- Maintains bakery cleanliness/sanitation during operation.
- Does not participate in unsafe acts and sets a good example to other workers.
- Reports all accidents and/or injuries to the manager or, in the absence of a manager, to security.
- Reports all equipment maintenance problems to Management
- Responsible for the security of the unit.
- Knows and follows University and University Dining Services policies.
Special Conditions of Employment:
- Must be able to work a varied work schedule, including evenings, early mornings, weekends, and holidays.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule to accommodate intersession and summer conference business.
- Must have excellent personal hygiene because of contact with food and food products.
The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow our Covid-19 vaccine requirement process. https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
- Culinary degree required
- At least 2 years of related experience
- At least 2 years of supervisory experience.
- Cake experience working with buttercream and Fondant
- Previous experience decorating cakes and working with chocolates a plus.
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Skill to interact and communicate with students, staff, and administration.
- Knowledge and skills in the training related to food service and bakery functions.
- Knowledge and skills to develop production control on quality and quantity, including production records.
- Knowledge and skill in the delegation of tasks to subordinates and effectively monitoring and evaluating performance.
- Skill in organizing personnel, work, and material for maximum productivity.
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills in advanced bakery production preparation.
- Demonstrated ability in training staff.
- Knowledge and understanding of basic sanitation and safety requirements.
- Knowledge of University and University Dining Services Policies.
- Knowledge of basic ordering techniques.
- Ability to work without direct supervision and make independent decisions.
- Excellent skills in the use of specific equipment and tools as identified below, as well as their preventive maintenance and calibration requirements.
- Outside-of-the-box thinker
- Creative, Energetic, Self Starter, and able to effectively manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Must complete eight hour Serv Safe class as required by the San Diego Health Department
- Must complete the University’s Hazard Communication Program