Under general supervision, performs all responsibilities in processing and distribution of the university’s biweekly/monthly in-house payroll in a timely and accurate manner. Responsible for daily entry of payroll processing, provide excellent customer service, and utilize the USD Way. Payroll is responsible for ensuring compliance with Federal and State agencies in regards to paychecks as well as ensuring pay practices.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Assist the Director of Payroll in training and mentoring new employees and student workers.
Responsible for maintaining and updating payroll process procedures.
Prepare and distribute biweekly/monthly Payroll and Tax Deposit Reports.
- Prepare spreadsheet for Funding and posting to the General Ledger.
- Distribute reports to Budget and Treasury and Accounting.
- Maintain and balance payroll tax file spreadsheet.
- Balance bank recon to tax payments and prepare journal entry to move taxes to the appropriate buckets.
- Balance and prepare tax recons.
Process bi-weekly and/or monthly payroll for processing.
- Time Records.
- Reviews job information on time records for completeness.
- Verifies and audits recorded hours to be paid.
- Resolves differences on time records before processing.
- Execute time and attendance processing.
- Upload tip and bonus earnings into payroll system.
- Verify onetime requests such as stipends, etc.
- Verifies gross to net processes through report balancing.
- Stuff, sort and verify check count.
Process garnishment for biweekly and/or monthly employees
- Make sure garnishments received are stamped with the receipt date.
- Check employee status to see if active or term.
- Prepare letter for garnishment and send to employees with a copy of the order.
- Update garnishment spreadsheet.
- Setup new garnishment agencies in Payroll system.
- Calculate and enter new garnishment orders into Workday.
- Double check garnishment amount during payroll processing to make sure garnishments were calculated correctly.
- Create Garnishment invoices and verify payment via Accounts Payable.
- Assist employees with garnishment inquiries and resolve garnishment issues with garnishment agencies.
- Scan garnishment paperwork to file.
- Prepare letters to agencies for terminations and status updates on employee’s job status.
Prepares biweekly/monthly payroll terminations, manual checks, check re-issues and process adjustment transactions.
- Review and research daily rejects from the bank.
- Process daily positive pay file to the bank
Responsible for verifying and maintaining payroll related system information.
- Analysis, research of missing information, data entry and verification of payroll related information.
- Maintains W4 and state withholding setup and process.
- Maintains Gift deductions.
- Maintains Cell Phone reimbursement.
- Maintains Grad Fellowship spreadsheet.
- Maintains Meal Break Waivers
- Processes paid and unpaid leave of absence information.
- Enter and process camp payments.
- Enter and process one day taxable meals.
- Conducts quarterly audits of payroll exception logs to Workday timecard system.
- Sending out notifications for unapproved timecards and maintaining the master list of what is received each pay period.
- Respond to payroll related inquiries in a timely manner.
- Respond and research issues as they arise from the timekeeping system.
- Research issues as they arise.
- Respond to general inquiries of university policy and payroll related questions.
- Run and distribute various payroll reports.
Act as backup for other payroll personnel, as needed.
Miscellaneous job responsibilities and department requirements
- Write/type memos and correspondence with management’s approval.
- Complete Employment Development Department audit forms.
- Maintains confidentiality internal and external.
- Must be able to multi-task and be flexible to department changes.
- Must be able to stay on task with keeping department deadlines.
- Be able to follow department calendar schedule for payroll processing.
- Complete miscellaneous tasks as assigned.
Special Conditions of Employment:
The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow our Covid-19 vaccine requirement process. https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.