The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
This is a part-time, temporary, non-benefit based assignment with an anticipated end date of December 31, 2022.
Perform a variety of duties within the Department of Parking Services Office. Educate on all parking rules and regulations throughout the USD campus. Provide excellent customer services; be able and willing to represent the university in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers and the community we serve; establish and maintain strong working relationships with colleagues, staff, administrators, students and the general public. Provide information and assistance to patrons as needed; operates portable radios and electronic ticket writers. Provide field assistance that may include, but is not limited to, driving department vehicles and golf carts, parking enforcement, cone and barricade placement and removal, and responding to reserved space holder complaints/requests.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Drive and operate License Plate Reader (LPR).
- Enforce rules and regulations through parking enforcement in field.
- Ensure all cones, barricades and signs are placed and/or prepared accurately. Ensure all expired cones, barricades and signs are picked up and put away neatly in the Cone Cage.
- Maintain contact with the Parking Services Office with 2-way radios, ensuring that all requests from the office are handled promptly and effectively.
- Keep department vehicle and golf carts maintained (Cleaned, Washed, Gassed, etc.).
- 1-3 years of customer service required.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent required.
- Must be an outgoing professional with a great work ethic.
- 1 year of LPR experience preferred but not required.
- 1 year of parking enforcement preferred but not required.
- Knowledge of Parking and/or law enforcement procedures desirable.
- Technical skills highly desirable.
Performance Expectations - Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to drive a department vehicle with LPR system safely.
- Ability to set priorities that accurately reflect the relative importance of activities or job duties.
- Ability to initiate and complete various projects with minimal supervision.
- Provide general campus information and assistance to the University students, staff, faculty, administrators, and guests; handle parking and traffic complaints and concerns of campus community and guests with tact and diplomacy.
- Skill and ability to communicate effectively; possess excellent interpersonal skills including tact and diplomacy to work with a diverse campus community, including parents, students, trustees, administrators, staff employees, guests, and vendors; possess skills in conflict resolution, decision-making, and implementation skills.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure; think clearly and logically using sound judgment; ability to multi-task as necessary.
- Must have excellent knowledge, understanding of, and respect for the confidentiality of the Parking Rules & Regulations and practices.
- Communicate effectively with coworkers, University employees and all other work related staff members.
- Demonstrate integrity, dependability, team building, and resourcefulness.
- Ability to work in an ever-changing environment; flexibility.
- Attention to detail.
- Must be punctual and have a high level of dependability.
- Maintain a clean and professional appearance, as outlined in the Parking Services Assistant Uniform Description.
- Excellent skills in driving and the use of specific equipment (LPR) and tools as identified below.
- Must be flexible with department hours of operation between the hours of 7 AM to 7 PM.
- Assist Parking Services Coordinator, Supervisor, and/or Manager with miscellaneous projects pertaining to parking needs.
Special Conditions of Employment:
- Must be able to drive, sit and walk long periods.
- Must be able to work a varied hourly schedule including days, evenings, and weekends, including occasional overtime as needed.
- Must be detailed oriented.
Tools & Equipment Used:
Must be comfortable driving a department vehicle and golf cart. Enforcers will utilize Nupark License Plate Reader (LPR), Windows Handheld citation writer, Zebra wireless printer, and 2-way radio, NuPark software. Personal computer will also be used for signing in and out of shift, as well as completing a timecard each day. Knowledge of Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Office, Word, and Outlook.
The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow our Covid-19 vaccine requirement process. https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Hours: 25 hours per week; Monday through Friday 2:00pm-7:00pm
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.