The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
Under general supervision of grounds supervisor, performs a variety of grounds related functions: litter pick-up, digging, sweeping, washing, scrubbing, vacuuming, loading/unloading, pruning, mowing, trimming, weeding, irrigation and fertilizing. Perform semi-skilled manual type labor and gardening task requiring the use of small power equipment and hand tools.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The responsibilities described here are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Waters lawns, shrubs, ground covers by use of appropriate automatic/manual systems (hoses) when necessary.
- Prune/trim large/small trees, shrubs, hedges, ground covers with appropriate tools.
- Plant trees, shrubs, ground covers, annuals, bulbs and sod/seed lawn areas with appropriate hand tools.
- Mow and edge/trim and blow walkways with small power equipment such as mowers, edger’s, weeders, blowers, etc. in assigned area.
- Maintain flower beds (trim and weed free) by mechanical or manual means.
- Pick-up trash and debris in assigned areas.
- Wash down/blow entrances of buildings, sidewalks, directory signs, patios, parking lots, etc.
- Work in a neat and orderly manner; clean-up daily and at the end of the job.
- Moves, carries, loads/unloads equipment, fertilizer, tools, materials, etc. as needed.
- May assist in lining sports fields.
- Notify supervisor of any burrowing pests (gophers, ground, and squirrels) or insects, broken irrigation lines or heads, etc. in assigned areas.
- Maintains an awareness of the typical hazards of the work place as well as the special hazards that may be encountered at any University facility location such as biohazards, low grade radiation, and chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harm.
- Consistently follows safety practices appropriate to the trade and complies with rules and regulations established by the University and governmental agencies (local, state, and federal).
- Follows established governmental (local, state and federal) procedures for dealing with hazards and promptly report any on the job accident to Security and to the supervisor in writing.
Special Conditions of Employment:
The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow our Covid-19 vaccine requirement process. https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
$15.50 per hour; Excellent Benefits
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits