The Cook is responsible for providing skilled assistance in the supervision and preparation of all food production, maintenance of quality and/or portion control, and the maintenance of sanitation and safety standards.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Supervises and participates in the quality and quantity preparation of all menued items.
• In the absence of the direct supervisor, has complete responsibility for preparation of specified meals.
• Reviews menu with supervisor and coordinates daily production; organizes work areas to ensure ease of operation.
• Checks production sheet against inventory to assure necessary items are on hand; assists in planning for backup items as needed.
• Inspects work area for any problems or discrepancies and reports findings to supervisor.
• Assists in forecasting proper quantity preparation for each item served.
• Follows correct methods of preparation.
• Makes products to specification and reviews recipes with supervisor for variances in finished product, including yield, appearance, taste, texture.
• Ensures proper product portioning.
• Follows sequential production time frames as established by supervisor for maximum quality control.
• Responsible for the timely delivery, setup and dispensing of production items as specified.
• Assists in completion of production/event records.
• Verifies quantity and quality of all incoming products.
• Ensures proper rotation and storage of all products.
• Operates all kitchen equipment properly.
• May assist in determination and ordering of product and supplies.
• Assists in research, development and testing of new recipes and menus.
• Attends weekly production meetings.
• Maintains good customer relations through attitude, appearance and attention to detail in daily work.
• Maintains consistent high-quality standards; quality-tests every finished product for taste, texture, appearance and temperature.
• Assures that all foods are attractively garnished and appropriately displayed.
• Ensures that products are not held longer than establishing holding time frames.
• Services customer/guest needs with the appropriate sense of business urgency to provide quality service.
• Reports feedback from customer to supervisor and/or area manager.
• Provides input on menu as necessary, and special meals in weekly production meetings.
• Sets leadership example by willingness to work all job tasks.
• Provides consistent feedback to employees regarding performance.
• Responsible for smooth workflow, communication and ideas through a congenial, caring and supportive attitude.
• Ensures that employees understand and adhere to all Dining Services polices and procedures.
• Delegates assignments as appropriate and follows up to ensure work is accurate and complete.
• Orients all new part-time employees to the location of products and equipment.
• Trains all part-time employees in proper cooking procedures, cooking times and temperatures.
• Trains part-time employees in the proper use of all equipment.
Safety and Sanitation
• Implements and maintains proper safety and sanitation standards in the workplace.
• Utilizes proper food handling methods and techniques.
• Assists in all scheduled cleanup operations.
• Operates equipment in an energy efficient manner. Uses efficient startup/shutdown schedule for equipment.
• Maintains excellent personal hygiene, including care of uniforms, shoes and head covering.
• In absence of supervisor, responsible for the security of the unit.
• Maintains kitchen cleanliness/sanitation during operation.
• Does not participate in unsafe acts and sets a good example for other workers.
• Reports all accidents and/or injuries to supervisor immediately.
• Reports all equipment maintenance problems to supervisor.
• Knows location of fire extinguishers and Ansul System pull stations and how to use them.
• Knows and follows all University and Dining Services policies and procedures
• Cooks working in Retail areas will need to know how to use the POS system.
• Cooks may have to work as a cashier as needed and therefore know how to handle cash in all retail areas.
Conditions of Employment:
The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow our Covid-19 vaccine requirement process. https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.