The University of San Diego's Division of Professional and Continuing Education (PCE) offers a robust portfolio of courses and programs needed by aspiring professionals that evolves in response to their professional development in the fields of business, education, and health care.
PCE nurtures key partnerships on the local, national and international level to better serve working professionals who seek to enhance or build their careers, as well as with their employers to help achieve their highest value and potential. With University of San Diego faculty and expert practitioners, we create educational opportunities and programs that students need to:
- Improve performance with new skills and knowledge
- Advance in their careers and open doors to new opportunities
- Make positive, meaningful change in their organizations and communities
The Program Assistant provides support to all individuals seeking information, enrollment and assistance with any course, program and degree offered through Professional and Continuing Education.
This position requires excellent communication skills for a fast-paced office environment that supports the enrollment and learning needs of students and prospective students. Must possess the ability to handle multiple tasks, requests, and web-based information tools in a calm and effective manner. This position requires a detail-oriented, independent worker who has the ability to collaborate and contribute in a team environment.
The Program Assistant Assistant will answer a busy, multi-line telephone; take registrations for courses and other related items over the phone, the Internet and in person. Other related duties may include: process registrations, organize both incoming and outgoing mail, process student transcript requests, order office supplies, and stock all office machines (fax, copier and printers). Must have excellent spelling and grammar skills.
The Program Assistant must have excellent customer service, organizational and communication skills. Proven ability using computers for business applications, including word-processing, spreadsheets, data management and administrative systems software. Customer/student support experience preferred.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Process daily enrollments, student course requests and transcript requests:
- Enrolls or assists students to enroll in PCE courses via telephone, and in person on a daily basis.
- Processes student requests for course transfers and drops, which may include refund processing.
- Processes all transcript requests, handles mail requests, responsible for printing and mailing on a daily basis.
- Updates students’ personal information, e.g., name, address, telephone, social security number and email address, to ensure current and accurate student records.
- Adds registrations to the enrollment system.
- Processes general information requests received via email, telephone or in person
- Replies to email requests with appropriate information, or redirects as needed.
- Program Assistant collaborates directly with Program Department teams. Going beyond the functions of processing, a Program Assistant engages students and prospective students in advising conversations that increase enrollments and resolve student concerns.
- Establishes service level standards and goals for timely responses and performance output. Tracks and reports on performance to the Student Service Center team and to the program areas.
Customer service, student support, prospective student service, general public communications:
- Answers incoming telephone calls, including local, long-distance and toll-free calls. This requires management of a multiline telephone system.
- Serves as front-line information center to respond to and service calls.
- Records and manages student communications in multiple web-based customer relationship and student information systems.
- Redirects calls to proper individuals if calls cannot be immediately serviced when answered.
- Checks and redirects voicemail. Returns calls for questions that can be addressed and handled by the Student Service Center.
- Handles confidential and sensitive information with discretion and tact.
- Responds to all inquiries (telephone, Internet, email, walk-in) with courtesy, tact and patience.
- Exhaust all avenues to properly respond to student, prospective student other individual requests from general public about all courses, programs and activities of Professional and Continuing Education.
- Program Assistant sets contacting goals, provides periodic call and communications activity reports, tracks personal and team performance against the established goals, documents procedures, creates FAQs and guides for inquiries and students, updates and adjustments FAQs, guides, and procedures as needed, assumes role as a communications professional and student services department point person, and assists with new hire training.
- Requests program information and training from the program developers in order to stay abreast of changes in curriculum, policy, and support needs.
- Serves as office lead for ordering all supplies with university-approved vendors.
- Responsible for stocking all office machines, including fax, copiers and printers.
- Orders appropriate supplies as needed.
- Responsible for opening, sorting and distributing all incoming office mail.
- Serves as division liaison with campus Mail Center.
- Updates and maintains some division mailing lists.
- Prints mailing address labels for use by instructors to mail brochures and flyers.
- Program Assistant assists in other areas of Professional and Continuing Education when staffing is low, or on as needed basis and conducts special projects as required.
- Seeks cross training opportunities in a proactive way.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Requires HS Diploma plus two years related experience. A bachelor’s degree is preferred; college education may substitute for experience at the rate of 2 years education = 1 year experience.
- Minimum of one year in a position that required critical thinking and analytical skills required.
- At least 1 year experience in customer service.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent organization skills.
- Excellent spelling and grammar skills.
- Demonstrated ability to use web-based student information and customer relationship
A bachelor’s degree is preferred.
Performance Expectations - Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
• Effectively respond to PCE calls and emails with information requested.
• Service student requests for enrollments, transfers, and drops.
• Process refunds, transcripts and certificates.
• Manages multiple requests from a variety of communications channels.
• Maintains high levels of efficiency when using data systems and data formats.
• Develop a working knowledge and use of the student enrollment system(s) and the CRM system.
• Stay informed of continuing program and course developments within PCE.
• Collaborate and support other team members in assigned area.
Tools & Equipment Used: Computer/PC, telephone, fax machine, copier, web-based student information, and customer relationship systems – web-based.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.