Position Title & Department:
| Administrative Assistant II; Advancement Services
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
The Office of Advancement Services (AS) is responsible for receiving, recording, and receipting the university’s gift donations. The administrative assistant II (AAII) serves as the primary cash/check/credit card handling point for AS and is responsible for preparing each day’s gift batch reports. This position prepares and deposits the gift transactions with the Cashier’s office and university’s financial institution on a daily basis. The position is also responsible for producing and mailing out the official tax deductible receipts generated from AS. The AAII coordinates closely with the Bursar’s office on matters related to the daily deposit and changes to accounts or amounts. This position provides assistance with the maintenance of over 600,000 records in an expanding constituent database. The AAII must make independent decisions regarding the addition, modification, and deletion of biographical information to all the records within the database. These changes include, but are not limited to, address updates, mailing codes, record types, and mailing lists. This position must recognize and understand corresponding changes to associated records triggered by any modification. This position must also promptly determine and understand relationships between constituents and their related entities to the university. Supervised by the Assistant Director of Advancement Services.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Prepare the daily gift batch report.
- Open the daily mail and immediately time stamp all documents
- Verify Gift Processing forms have been completed correctly.
- Research each contribution to see if the donor has a record in the Advance system as well as research allocation account numbers.
- Record the donor’s ID number, check number, amount, account number, and the date received in the Gift Tracking Log using Microsoft Access.
- Sort the contributions and distribute them evenly into batches and place each batch in the safe to be retrieved by a gift coordinator for processing.
- Responsible for processing all credit card transactions.
- Receive all credit card charges from the various departments and via the mail.
- Review all credit card charges and enter the information into the credit card terminal for processing.
- Prepare credit cards into a separate batch file from the other batches to be entered that day.
- Take the returned batch file and verify that the total from the batch matches the close out report from the terminal.
- Responsible for tracking all cash donations.
- Receive all cash donations from various departments and via the mail.
- Count and verify the amount received and log into cash tracking system.
- Store cash in the safe until ready to be deposited.
- Prepare the daily deposit report.
- Receive all batch reports with checks/credit card receipts/cash from the gift coordinators.
- Verify that each check and credit card receipts have been returned and update the Gift Tracking Log with any new information provided by the gift coordinators.
- Match all the checks, credit card receipts, and cash to the daily summary total from the Gift Tracking Log.
- Prepare, print, and file the daily deposit form for credit cards and cash separately from checks.
- Prepare the daily deposit using the Cashier’s Deposit form and the Daily Credit Reconciliation form for the credit cards and cash contributions to be sent to the Cashier’s Office.
- Deposit checks using the secure desktop banking deposit system via web portal; scan checks to be deposited online using the check scanner machine.
- Verify and match each check amount along with the total batch amount and submit the online deposit.
- Store the scanned checks in the safe for minimum of 30 days.
- Email all deposit related information to the Office of the Controller.
- Prepare and run the daily receipt file from Advance.
- Run the appropriate report file from Advance to prepare the previous day’s receipts for gifts entered by the gift coordinators.
- Review the receipts for any errors and notify the gift coordinators for any discrepancies.
- Make any changes as needed to the receipts or to the donor’s record.
- Print out the receipts and prepare them for mailing.
- Take the receipts and mail them out each day.
- Responsible for maintaining all biographical information in the constituent database.
- Search and review any pre-existing information for a particular constituent in Advance.
- Based off the sources of information, using sound judgment, and critical thinking update, delete or add information to each record as necessary. This information can include any of the following, home or business addresses, employment, spouse, mailing lists, affiliations to USD, record types, and more.
- Each update is to be recorded accurately and within the guidelines of the Data Entry User Guide.
- Record all source information accordingly on each record.
- Reconcile lost documents within Xtender to the appropriate gift receipt in Advance so that it accurately displays full gift history for each donor. This requires a great deal of attention to detail and coordination with the senior programmer to electronically match the documents up in the database.
- Assist with the various data integrity projects as needed.
- Update various records in the database based off of information provided by the assistant director.
- Conduct research in Accurint to find new telephone numbers and/or home and business addresses.
- Update address records, mail, affiliation, and solicitation codes as directed.
- Assist the research analyst with researching lost records.
- Using internet resources assist with researching lost records by finding updated address or telephone information and record updates in Advance as needed.
- Other projects related to data integrity and general office duties as needed.
- Requires high school or a high school equivalency diploma.
- One year data entry experience with an emphasis on fluctuating heavy workloads.
- Experience working with a variety of office and computer equipment, particularly in a Windows environment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills required as well as exceptional critical listening and thinking skills; must exhibit attention to detail with a high degree of accuracy and excellent organizational skills.
- Must be able to work under the pressure of time and frequent requests from multiple sources each having their own timelines and constraints and with all levels of administrative staff.
- Must possess good judgment, tact, sensitivity, and discretion in handling confidential materials and situations.
- Mature interpersonal skills to interact closely with database users; excellent customer service skills. Must be able to work effectively with diverse groups.
Performance Expectations - Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Comfortable knowledge of computers with an emphasis on relational databases.
- Ability to gain knowledge of university departments, functions, personnel, and locations quickly.
- Ability to search and match documents with one another using various criteria.
- Accurate typing and proofreading skills.
- Ability to work with a wide variety of people, both on the telephone and in person.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Must be friendly and personable.
Tools & Equipment Used:
Personal computer, Ellucian Advance Web, Banner, Accurint, Xtender, Cognos Reporting Tools, web resources, Microsoft Office applications, Wells Fargo Desktop Deposit, telephone, fax, scanner, and other related office equipment.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
$17.00 - $18.25 per hour; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
|Special Application Instructions:
Resume and Cover Letter Required
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours: 37.5 hours per week; Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m, hour for meal break.
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.