Position Title & Department:
| Reception Services Assistant (Executive Assistant 1); One Stop Student Center
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
To provide unparalleled customer service over the phone and via email to both internal and external customers for all of the cross-functional campus business transactions. This includes all the services of the offices of financial aid, registrar, and student account services. Perform technical and complex administrative work following federal, state, institutional, and private guidelines concerning financial aid, student account collections, registration policies, and FERPA regulations.
Acts as primary phone reception for all incoming and outgoing calls. This position will be regularly called upon to use independent judgment to advise and resolve student issues in each of the above areas. Works under close supervision of the Director of the One Stop Student Center. Informal supervision of Student Assistants staffing phones.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The responsibilities described here are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reception Services: Main point of contact for all Telephone Inquiries:
- Serve as the main phone point of contact for all One Stop questions.
- Decide what action to take with every student. This includes resolving their questions, instructing them how to perform their transaction or inquiry via the portal, or referring them to a One Stop Counselor as needed.
- Assist parents and students over the phone with detailed information and at times difficult situations in a calm, courteous, and accurate manner.
- Manage calls and messages. Return phone calls to students and parents on a case-by-case basis as needed.
- Perform proactive outbound calls to students for a variety of reasons (ex: verification documents needed, persistence response outreach, etc.).
- Document all student and parent interactions in Case Management/Salesforce.
- Provide premium customer service to students and parents via phone and email.
- Greet callers pleasantly every time.
- Instill confidence in the student that their question will be answered competently and completely.
- Follow-up with students or parents as needed to ensure complete resolution of all questions.
- Make every attempt to be the customer’s only stop to resolve their issue. Determine when a referral is needed to a One Stop Counselor for assistance.
- Act as liaison between student or parent and offices of the registrar, student accounts, financial aid, and other campus resources.
- Educate students how to use the MySanDiego portal to handle routine transactions from any computer.
- Process requests to add and drop courses.
- Provides guidance to Student Assistants staffing phones as to policies and procedures.
- Monitor customer service skills of the student phone staff to ensure they are of the highest quality.
- Monitor weekly/monthly statistics for telephone calls.
- Compile data for telephone statistical reports.
- Create new relevant reports as the need arises based on telephone statistics.
- Assists in other areas of the One Stop when staffing is low.
- Conducts special projects as required.
- Shred confidential documents/reports as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred, but not required. High school diploma or GED equivalent required.
- Minimum of three years of experience in a position that requires critical thinking, analytical skills, and customer service.
- If only a high school diploma or GED equivalent, two years additional experience required.
Performance Expectations - Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- General knowledge of USD policies and procedures.
- Working knowledge of financial aid, billing and payment, and registration processes and procedures.
- Excellent communication skills with demonstrated capabilities of maintaining confidential information and handling sensitive data with discretion and tact.
- Skilled in providing compassionate, holistic customer service via phone and email.
- Must possess the ability to handle multiple tasks, deadlines, and time constraints in a calm and effective manner.
- Detail oriented, independent thinker and worker who has the ability to make appropriate judgment calls as needed on a case-by-case basis, as well as work in a team environment.
- Proven ability using computers for business/accounting applications, including Microsoft Word, Excel, Banner student systems software, and Salesforce.
- Ability and willingness to represent the University in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers and the community we serve.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to develop and use empathetic listening skills, communicate with clarity and maintain an attitude that conveys respect, assistance, honesty and resourcefulness.
- Ability to provide service in a courteous, prompt and efficient manner.
- Ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships with colleagues, staff, administrators, students and the general public.
Special Conditions of Employment:
- This position experiences seasonal fluctuations in workload due to peak periods.
- On average this position may answer 100 inbound phone calls per day depending on the time of year.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
$20.83 per hour; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
|Special Application Instructions:
Resume Required, Cover Letter Preferred
Click 'Apply Now' to complete our online application and, for full consideration, please upload a resume
to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. You are also strongly recommended to upload a cover letter
to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours: 37.5 per week; Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.