The Programmer Analyst is a hands-on technical position that is responsible for providing high quality technology solutions to business departments across the University. The position pro-actively implements and takes ownership of system production issues and development projects as assigned by the Manager and Lead Developer. This position will work directly with users to understand their technology needs and will prepare design documents, program, and test technical solutions.
This position will assist in providing oversight for the technical maintenance of the various ERP application systems, smaller vendor applications, and interfaces between the various systems using best practices and following Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) procedures.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Systems Analysis and Project Management
1. Analyze the user requirements document and consult with peers and business users as well as other contacts in the field to provide a well-researched solution using the integrated ERP technologies such as Ellucian applications, Oracle applications, CBORD applications, Salesforce applications, other smaller applications, Banner Document Management Suite (BDMS), Luminis Portal, ODS/Cognos Reporting and workflow.
2. Act as Project Lead for small projects.
3. Work with team to create a project plan with level of detail depending on the complexity of the project, to outline tasks and timeline to implement solution. Execute and regularly update the plan. Notify supervisor of possible delays.
4. Support and provide guidance for application upgrades by ensuring thorough testing of new changes as well as existing interfaces etc.
5. Recommend improvements in processes, promote a positive and collaborative environment and communicate concerns in a constructive and timely manner.
6. Pro-actively manage and take ownership of assigned productions issues: • Issue is properly identified
- Thorough analysis to determine the underlying cause of problem • User departments have been involved.
- Involve peers when designing solution.
- Well planned and executed testing strategy.
- Production implementation is well coordinated
- Escalation of issues as needed
Programming and Testing
1. Use knowledge of Oracle Concepts, development tools such as Oracle*Developer Suite 10g/11g toolset , SQL Developer and programming languages such as PL/SQL and functions such as stored procedures and triggers to provide complete technical solutions.
2. Use Application APIS as much as possible to build internal and external interfaces.
3. Modify seeded application reports as needed using Oracle*Developer Suite 10g/11g toolset or other appropriate toolset for modifying reports.
4. Work with senior team members to architect technical solutions using deep understanding of the appropriate application technical architecture as well as middle tier integration technologies to ensure all future enhancements or integration solutions are well planned and architected.
5. Diagnose/resolve technical problems independently, articulate and discuss solution with peers in a confident manner with a view to getting input to provide the best solution for USD.
6. Multi task in the fast-paced, production environment to juggle priorities as needed to provide resolution to high profile technical issues.
7. Diagnose performance issues using SQL trace technology as well as database explain statements and ability to analyze output of these traces.
Supervise/Mentor staff and miscellaneous tasks as assigned by Manager
1. Supervise junior analysts/programmers as assigned
2. Set work schedules, goals and objectives
3. Stay current with technology trends.
4. Recommend and evaluate relevant software products.