Assistant Director of Athletic Performance Training, Athletics Administration
Job Number: 1378
Position Status: Full-time regular
Location: San Diego
Position Type: Athletics, Administrator
Position Title & Department:
|Assistant Director of Athletic Performance Training, Athletics Administration
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
The Assistant Director of Athletic Performance Training assists the Director of Athletic Performance Training in coordinating the operations of the Sports Center Varsity Athletic Strength Facility. The coach is responsible for developing and monitoring team and individual strength and conditioning programs as directed by the Director of Athletic Performance Training. The coach is accountable to the Director of Athletic Performance Training as well as the Senior Associate Director of Athletics. General supervision received from the Director of Athletic Performance Training and the Senior Associate Director of Athletics. This position closely supervises part-time and volunteer athletic performance training coaches, student workers and work study positions.
Duties & Responsibilities
Athletic Performance Training
- Develop and implement strength training programs for varsity teams.
- Develop and implement conditioning programs for varsity teams.
- Teach and demonstrate proper lifting and running technique.
- Motivate varsity teams to excel in training and competition.
- Monitor the progress of each team and individual athlete and evaluate their performance.
- Maintain a positive environment for athletes to train in.
- Work in conjunction with athletic training staff to rehabilitate injured athletes.
- Schedule lifting times for varsity teams.
- Schedule conditioning times for varsity teams.
- Enforce weight training facility rules.
- Supervise the weight training facility and its use.
- Supervise volunteer/part-time interns, work study students and any casual workers
- Perform general maintenance on equipment and maintain cleanliness of weight training facility.
- Assist with purchasing, stocking, and distributing nutritional aides.
- Stay up to date with current research and trends in strength and conditioning field.
- Stay up to date with NCAA rules and regulations.
Minimum & Preferred Qualifications:
- Bachelors Degree required, Masters preferred
- 2 years of experience with a NCAA Intercollegiate Athletic Performance/Strength & Conditioning department required, 5 years of experience within a NCAA Intercollegiate Athletic Performance/Strength & Conditioning department preferred
- Current Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) or Strength and Conditioning Coach Certified (SCCC) certification required
- Additional Continuing Education certification/s preferred
- Heartsaver CPR /AED and First Aid certifications required. Must have these within 6 weeks of employment.
- California driver’s license required within 6 weeks of employment.
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to teach and demonstrate proper free weight technique including Olympic lifts
- Knowledge of speed, agility, and flexibility training
- Understanding of basic nutritional guidelines as they pertain to athletic performance
- Ability to communicate with and to motivate male and female collegiate athletes
- Knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations
Special Conditions of Employment
- Willingness to work long hours including holidays and weekends
- Successful completion of required background checks
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
|Special Application Instructions:
Click 'Apply Now' to complete our online application and, for full consideration, please upload a resume, cover letter, and proof of required certifications (see minimum qualifications)
to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at email@example.com
Hours: 40 hours per week
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Advertised: Pacific Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend