Reporting to the Director of Title IX, EEO and Employee Relations, the Employee Relations Coordinator helps in the administration of Employee Relations (ER) and recognition programs and functions within the department of Human Resources (HR). Conducts investigations related to employee complaints, prepares written investigative reports, and makes recommendations to the Director on resolution. Plans and coordinates employee recognition programs, ER training, and wellness events.
Manages a portion of the leave of absence administration. Calculates leave pay with state disability insurance benefit payments. Works with highly confidential employee information and is responsible for compliance with COBRA, FMLA, FEHA, CFRA, PDL and HIPPA privacy regulations.
Conducts exit interviews with employees. Researches ER best practices and presents ideas to Director to assess feasibility and prepare implementation plans. Ensures confidentiality of information and sensitive documents by following university procedures and exercising judgment in responding to employee requests.
This position receives direct supervision from the Director of Title IX, EEO Programs and Employee Relations and may indirectly supervise student employee(s).
Duties & Responsibilities:
Assists with management of employee relations:
• Assists employees with inquiries regarding university policies/procedures and general HR information. Analyzes unique situations for appropriate policy implementation, escalates issues to the appropriate person in HR.
• Conducts employee relations investigations and resolutions; conducts fact finding meetings or conversations with supervisors or employees. Uses judgment and knowledge of USD policies and procedures to resolve issues. Writes investigative reports and works with supervisor to make recommendations.
• Assists with the development of forms and documents for employee relations and performance management.
• Organizes, manages and tracks annual performance evaluation process.
• Builds relationships with campus constituents in order to assess campus climate and bring issues forward so that they can be proactively addressed.
Employee recognition and wellness:
• Plans, organizes and manages the annual employee Service Award luncheon.
• Plans, organizes and manages the annual employee community barbecue.
• Plans, organizes the CHR Award luncheon twice a year.
• Facilitates the employee award review.
• Assists CHR chair in management of Community of Human Resources committee (CHR@USD).
• Plans, develops, coordinates and communicates programs related to employee wellness (Being Well @ USD) and coordinates with other HR areas as needed.
• Researches best practices for employee recognition and suggests findings on innovative improvements.
• Serves as day-to-day liaison with wellness partners (e.g. medical carriers)
Leave of absence administration:
• Administers plan in compliance with state and federal regulations (FMLA, CFRA, PDL, HIPAA) and university policies and procedures;
• Counsels employees and managers on university leave of absence procedures and compensation during leave;
• Coordinates the payment of benefits with payroll and benefits staff including the identification and notification of changes to start/stop dates, rates, record types; and monitor results.
• Communicates with employee and supervisor/department throughout leave.
• Provides reports/updates to departments as requested.
• Works with Benefits team to process employer portion of Long Term Disability.
University employee training:
• Plans, coordinates and facilitates training on issues such as conflict resolution and performance management.
• Assists with educational outreach for EEO trainings and presentations.
• Serves as back-up for online training management.
Collects and analyzes data:
• Conducts exit interviews and data collection. Analyzes information, identifies trends and creates reports with recommendations.
• Calculates annual turnover statistics.
• Collects and organizes data around employee relations issues so that data can be shared with VPs and Deans on an annual basis.
• Looks at best practice for ER analytics and uses this information to advise Director on possible strategies for future planning.
• Assists with reviewing background checks in conjunction with employment services staff.
• Processes unemployment claims.
• Coordinates, updates and maintains the area website, working with the team as needed on content creation.
• Oversees the process of identifying employees who are Mandated Reporters under the law and ensure the university is in compliance under California Penal Code §§11164 et seq.
• Prepares reports and presentations.
• Special projects and miscellaneous duties as needed or assigned.