The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
Organizes, manages and coordinates all administrative efforts in support of the Manchester Family Child Development Center (MFCDC). The administrative assistant serves in the capacity of general office management for the department, welcoming children and families to the preschool, creating and maintaining staff schedules, preparing and monitoring child files, coordinating special events, performing website maintenance, and serving as liaison between MFCDC prospective parents, current parents, and both the campus and local community. Provides administrative support to Director and department including word processing, photocopying, mail distribution, answering telephones, taking messages, website maintenance, and running campus errands. Also provides administrative support to department teachers and assists with monitoring the budget. Receives supervision from the Director. This position exercises supervision over student workers and lead worker over other personnel as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform office support duties for department staff and Director 40% including general office management, data collection and reporting, website maintenance, office correspondence, staff meeting minutes. Create and maintain schedules, run departmental errands, maintain office supplies, and coordinate campus service requests for the department including room scheduling, facilities requests, technology services, copy machine services, etc.
- Perform public relations duties including telephone and lobby reception, distributing center information to prospective clients, and scheduling center tours for prospective clients and visitors.
- Receive and prepare funds for deposit and/or distribution, assist with maintenance of center budget accounts, maintain client accounts.
- Maintain all employee, volunteer, child and student records in accordance with university and state licensing requirements.
- Maintain center calendar and oversee staff and support staff scheduling.
- Supervise work study students and volunteers at the center.
- Assist in the coordination of department functions and meetings such as professional development opportunities, graduation, orientation, and social events.
- High school diploma or General Education Diploma equivalent
College with coursework in Child Care Administration preferred.
- A minimum of 3 years of work experience with progressively responsible administrative support experience.
- Requires proficiency in Microsoft Office, general accounting software, desktop publishing and web maintenance programs
- Prior customer service experience preferred.
- Prior experience in early education or school environment preferred
- College coursework in Early Childhood Education
- Knowledge and experience creating billing and invoices for client accounts
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must be able to work independently on major tasks with minimal supervision and direction.
- Must be able to assess, prioritize and effectively respond to emerging situations with children and families
- Must be able to adjust quickly and regularly to new personnel and responsibilities.
- Must be able to communicate clearly and effectively in spoken and written English.
- Must demonstrate a high level of maturity and trust, due to sensitive and confidential information communicated on children and families in the USD community.
- Must represent the university, the school and the unit well
• Must be able to operate a personal computer and have knowledge of MSOffice 2010, Constant Contact, and ability to learn web based accounting system
- Must have ability to file numerically, alphabetically, and alpha-numerically.
- Must have ability to answer several telephone lines.
- Must be able to effectively prioritize workload, and have demonstrated experience using organizational skills.
Special Conditions of Employment:
- Proof of negative Tuberculosis skin test
- Current certification in child CPR & First Aid
- FBI fingerprint clearance
- Clearance of a child Abuse Index.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
$18.16 - $19.65 per hour; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.