The Director of Conferences administers management and oversight for sales & operations of the Conference Services department and its staff that directly provide logistical support, planning, coordination and execution for on and off campus educational, cultural, youth, religious, corporate and programmatic conferences and events. Responsible for fostering solid relations with internal and external partners in an effort to strategically recruit clients to the University; with the goal for assuring these solid partnerships and programs are cohesive to the mission of the University. Responsibility to include fiscal oversight of the department’s operating budget thereby providing financial growth for the University. Supervision received from the Director of Hospitality Services. General supervision of the Director of Sport camps (summer position), Operations Manager, and administrative support staff; immediate supervision of University students working as area managers, conference/camp managers, and project coordinators.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
• Develop and execute and lead a strategic operating plan for the department’s operating policies and practices.
• Establish department goals and objectives that are aligned with the Auxiliary Services department goals and the Business Services and Administration division.
• Design, implement and facilitate annual marketing and sales plan for the organization.
• Translating business unit objectives and strategies to develop brand portfolio objectives, strategies and plan to facilitate business unit growth.
• Develops marketing and sales strategy, based on knowledge of establishment policy and the nature of the market.
• Acts as primary contact for all conferences inquiries. Coordinates campus tours and prepares bid packets as well as the necessary RFP.
• Prepares and negotiates contracts for each conference group. Prepares final agreement detailing the needs of the conference group and provide ongoing client relationship management.
• Coordinates details and needs with appropriate departments and offices to assure a successful conference.
• In conjunction with the Hospitality Director, sets summer conference rates.
• Responsible for the collection of deposits and payments in excess of $3 million annually.
• Oversees full accounting of departmental budget.
• Responsible for full conference accounting for final billing for each conference.
• Supervises the collection of all monies owed in a timely manner.
• Negotiates billing discrepancies or variances with contracted group.
• Oversees the timely and complete interdepartmental transfers for services rendered.
• Produces a final accounting of Conferences Services business.
• Submits report to the Director of Hospitality Services and Executive Director of Auxiliary Services.
• Supervises the Director of Sports Camps (summer position only).
• Supervises and coordinates the student staff hiring process including promotion, advertising, applications and interviews.
• Supervises and coordinates week-long staff training with departments throughout campus.
• Supervises the publishing of the annual staff manual.
• Supervises and trains summer supervisors.
• Conducts mid-summer and end-of-summer evaluations of summer staff.
• Supervises 35/50 summer part time staff during the summer and 3-5 staff during the academic year.
Operational and Organizational
• Facilitates weekly staff meetings.
• Facilitates weekly summer conference meetings with affected campus departments.
• Supervises the publication of “the Book,” a listing of all summer groups, that is shared with pertinent personnel throughout campus.
• Creates and develops a summer theme, including logo design for use on summer materials.
• Coordinates with Housing the transitions from the academic year to summer and back again.
• Ensures that adequate supplies and supply inventories are ordered and maintained.
• Ensures the ordering of guest memorabilia for the conference program.
• Oversees and provides ongoing services for conference groups and guests to assure a smooth program experience.
• Supervises the ordering of welcome gifts for conference chairs and thank you notes for chairs at the end of the summer.
• Acts as official contact point and host/hostess for Conference Services at USD.
• Addresses crises and critical incidents with a sense of business urgency, providing both remedial and long-term solutions.
• Maintains ongoing communication with internal customers (USD departments and academic units) as well as with the larger community.