The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
The Assistant Director of Athletics for Marketing and Promotion is responsible for driving revenue and attendance at athletic events through ticket sales. The Assistant AD develops all advertising and promotions for athletics and coordinates athletic merchandise sales. The Assistant AD coordinates efforts with the Assistant Vice President for Marketing and Strategic Partnerships. The Assistant AD plans, manages, and directs sponsor fulfillment and the season ticket sales drive. The Assistant AD is responsible for all athletics television, radio and other media related contracts and fulfillment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Develops and implements an athletic department marketing and promotional campaign:
- Designs and conducts advertising campaigns to promote USD athletics and brand.
- Selects and implements programs for USD billboards, newspaper advertising, street pole banners, magnets, posters, van banners, television ads, radio spots, social and electronic media and other miscellaneous advertising.
- Coordinates all social and electronic media, direct mail, trade, and nonprofit advertising for all sports.
- Coordinates the design for the artwork and financial aspects of the advertising program.
- Manages the budget for the advertising program.
- In associate with the AVP for Marketing and Strategic Partnerships, directs branding standards for athletics and campus-wide partnerships.
- Works closely with Associated Students and the university’s Greek system.
Develops and implements season ticket, individual and group sales campaign:
- Develops and implements a timetable and materials for direct mail campaign.
- Develops a volunteer season ticket sales force to assist with sales.
- Solicits group tickets.
- Manages ticket sales campaign.
- Solicits advertising sales.
- Solicits companies for advertising for television, website and other media inventory.
- Creates advertising proposals and coordinates implementation with stations.
- Manages the traffic of sold inventory with media outlets.
- Coordinates the billing of advertising partners appropriately.
- Engages community outreach with large groups to strategically develop support for athletic events.
Manages sponsor fulfillment and sponsor package development:
- Fulfills sponsor obligations.
- Develops sponsor packages.
- In coordination with the AVP for Marketing and Strategic Partnerships, renews campus-wide sponsorships and solicits sponsorships less than $20,000.
- Tracks and maintains records on all sponsors.
- Implements all benefits packages, including ticket programs, parking passes, signage, special events and all other promotional exposure programs.
- Designs and produces all signage, advertising and game programs ads. This includes gathering all artwork and logos in proper format and overseeing the production process.
- Coordinates all public address systems, message board, and video board announcements.
- Provides sponsor recognition.
Manages all television, radio and other media partnerships:
- Implements television contracts to enhance the visibility and marketability of the athletics program.
- Implements radio contracts to enhance the visibility and marketability of the athletics program.
- Identifies, creates and develops other media partnerships to enhance the visibility and marketability of the athletics program.
- In association with the AVP for Marketing and Strategic Partnerships, leverages athletics media to promote University marketing campaigns.
- Coordinates with the Associate Director of Athletics for Media Relations on all funding, sponsorship, marketing, and administrative issues related to the athletic Web site usdtoreros.com and any Web broadcasting, radio, video and television activities.
Supervises the Assistant Director of Marketing. Through the Assistant Director, supervises the Torero Spirit Team Coach, Torero Pep Band Director, graduate and undergraduate interns, casual workers and student workers:
- Recruits, interviews, selects, and hires 4 to 6 interns, 1 to 2 casual workers and 2 to 3 student workers at the start of each semester.
- Assigns and delegates duties to interns, casual workers and student workers.
- Oversees all activities and projects of the Spirit Team, Pep Band, interns, casual workers and student workers.
- Trains workers to be game management assistants, and supervises them at games.
- Evaluates interns each semester for grades and feedback.
Coordinates merchandising and licensing:
- Works with USD Torero Store to ensure game-day merchandising is available, coordinated and organized
- In coordination with the AVP for Marketing and Strategic Partnerships, directs athletics licensing with campus-wide partnerships.
- Works with licensing vendors to insure proper procedures are followed by all licensees.
- Approves all logo/designs from licenses.
- Works with the campus licensing program to insure proper procedures and communications.
- Assists the USD Torero Store with licensing opportunities and procedures and ensures the maintenance of exempt policy.
- Handles all additional licensing questions, royalty fees, and miscellaneous licensing duties.
- Coordinates sales and revenues of Torero merchandise with the USD Torero Store on the Web site; works with the site vendor to set up and update the site with correct logos and merchandise.
- Coordinates the purchase of Nike apparel for the USD Torero Store.
Provides support to athletic department special events:
- Assists the Assistant Director of Athletics for Development with fund raising events.
- Assists the Associate Director of Athletics for Development with athletic department development activities.
Special Conditions of Employment:
- Availability to work long hours, nights and weekends.
- Willingness to travel to away contests, NCAA event and WCC meetings, when appropriate and necessary.
- Successful completion of required background checks.
Effective June 1, 2023, based on CDC guidance, the University strongly encourages all campus members to stay up to date with Influenza and COVID-19 vaccination recommendations. For more regarding information USD's COVID-19 protocols, please visit sandiego.edu/onward.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
$5,480.00 - $5,833.33 per month; Excellent Benefits
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package including; medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University, and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
The salary range provided in this posting reflects what we reasonably expect to pay for this position. Actual compensation offered or earned is dependent on experience, education and other factors including departmental budget.