The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
Under general supervision of grounds supervisor, performs skilled grounds maintenance (backhoe, trencher, etc.) and repair work. Operates and maintains Grounds equipment such as: riding mowers (gas and diesel), skip loaders, backhoes and attachments, aerators, trenchers, fork lifts, sweepers, renovators, power spreaders, chain saws, sod cutters, roto-tillers, blowers, trimmers and comparable equipment. Performs mowing aerating, sodding/seeding, planting, renovating, excavating trenches, spreading materials, loading and unloading, backfilling and grading.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Move small/large turf areas with the use of appropriate power equipment.
- Aerates, top-dresses and fills depressions on large/small turf areas with the use of appropriate equipment and power/manual tools.
- Plant large trees, shrubs, sod/seed with the use of appropriate power/manual tools.
- Performs erosion control of slopes, banks, canyons and trails involving minor grading and backfilling with the use of appropriate power/manual equipment.
- Performs mechanical repairs and preventative maintenance on gas and diesel grounds equipment owned by the University.
- Cleans and maintains grounds and facilities equipment in a safe/good working condition.
- Works in a neat and orderly manner.
- Moves/carries, loads/unloads equipment, fertilizer, tools, plants, pipes, materials etc.
- Maintains an awareness of the typical hazards of the work place as well as the special hazards that may be encountered at any University facility location such as biohazards, low-grade radiation, and chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harm.
- Consistently follows safety practices appropriate to the trade and complies with rules and regulations established by the University and governmental agencies (local, state, and federal).
- Follows established governmental (local, state and federal) procedures for dealing with hazards and promptly report any on the job accident to Security and to the supervisor in writing.
Special Conditions of Employment:
- Must not have allergies that could interfere with employee’s ability to work outdoors around plants, dust, fertilizer, insecticides, herbicides and other chemical products.
- Must have a valid California Drivers license and will be required to drive University vehicles.
- May take the University supplied (self-study) enrichment courses and participate in various seminars related to the trade.
- Must be in excellent physical condition.
- May be required to work overtime as needed.
- Must be able to understand and use English
- Must wear uniform provided by the University
- Must wear proper work boots
The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow our Covid-19 vaccine requirement process. https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.