Position Title & Department:
| Budget and Operations Coordinator, Ahlers Center for International Business
The Ahlers Center for International Business at the University of San Diego is one of the few privately endowed centers for international business in the world, providing a wide array of opportunities for USD students and faculty as well as the business community.
The Ahlers Center was founded in 1994 with a generous endowment from the estate of John and Carolyn Ahlers to enhance international business education at the University of San Diego.
Given a lifetime of conducting business across borders, the Ahlers believed that globalization had increased the need for managers to develop special skills and knowledge to handle the challenges and opportunities of a global marketplace.
The Ahlers Center provides a number of programs that help faculty, students and the business community strengthen and acquire these very skills. To this day, the Center has earned a reputation for attracting faculty with global expertise, students with an interest in international business and business leaders looking to expand their professional network.
These activities encourage faculty, students and international business leaders to share ideas and develop knowledge to operate more effectively in a global business environment.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
The Budget and Operations Coordinator provides administrative support to the Executive Director and general support of the Ahlers Center including all programs and institutes held within, as needed. Interacts on behalf of the Executive Director with students and Strategic Advisory Board committee members. The Coordinator maintains Ahlers Center budgets and provides financial oversight and compliance for the unit. The position assists with the maintenance of the Ahlers Center’s Salesforce mailing for custom and executive programs as well as fundraising efforts. Additionally, it coordinates meetings related to the Center’s Strategic Advisory Board Executive Committee as well as other events and meetings as requested by the Executive Director and assists Ahlers Center professionals in support of the Center’s programs and mission.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Maintains budget(s), and provides financial oversight and compliance by:
- Preparing and processing payment requests and expense reports
- Authority to approve fiscal transactions up to a predetermined dollar amount
- Completing a monthly audit of Ahlers Center fiscal transactions to ensure accuracy
- Crafting budgets for Ahlers activities, events, programs, etc., as requested
- Collaborating with the School of Business Finance Manager regarding all Ahlers financial processing to ensure compliance with USD expenditure and grant-specific policies.
- Working collaboratively with the School of Business Finance Manager to implement standardized school-wide fiscal processes
- Creating internal fiscal reports for the Ahlers Center Executive Director and Assistant Dean of Finance and Administration, as requested
- Collaborating with the Ahlers Center Executive Director and Assistant Dean of Finance and Administration to determine Ahlers Center financial strategies.
- Actively manages these processes for all entities within the Ahlers Center including but not limited to the Supply Chain Institute, custom programs, Economic Research Center, etc.
- Serving as Ahlers's liaison to key financial departments across campus including, but not limited to, Accounts Payable, Grants Accounting and Procurement Services.
- Assist with travel reimbursement for students, consistent with the University’s travel reimbursement regulations - (Primary)
- Assists with maintenance of the Ahlers Center’s Salesforce mailing for custom and executive programs as well as fundraising efforts.
- In collaboration with Marketing and Communications, design and send email notifications about programs and events.
- Create events in salesforce with associated sub-events (as applicable), discount codes, and all event emails (confirmation, seats available, off waitlist, and event reminder emails).
- Create reports to track event registration and participant details.
- Record event attendance. ● Send event evaluation emails post-event.
- Add new contacts and edit existing contacts within the Ahlers mailing list. -
- Administrative support for Ahlers Center programs will include:
- Collaborating with the office of marketing and communications within the School of business to promote custom and executive education programs, update website content and craft reports for internal and external audiences
- Supporting the Assistant Director to coordinate logistics for custom and executive programs
- Responsible for day-of event execution of program logistics as needed
- Overseeing external contracts, independent contractor considerations, and internal and external agreement approval workflows while upholding university policies and procedures for all entities within Ahlers
- Coordinates meetings related to the Center’s Strategic Advisory Board and related committees as well as other events and meetings by:
- All logistical requirements of the meetings, including room reservations, catering, parking, contact with speakers, organizing agenda and handouts, contracting with outside vendors, coordinating with venue, and making any necessary travel arrangements.
- Consults with faculty and business executives participating in the various programs to address their needs.
- Prepares agenda and minutes.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with preference given to business and/or related field
- 3 (+) years experience in budget management, program operations and/or general administrative support.
- Bachelor’s degree in international business or related field from an accredited college or university
- 3 (+) years of experience in international relations and/or budget management within higher education
Performance Expectations - Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
Knowledge of and experience with:
- Ability to interact comfortably with senior executives
- Experience supporting hands-on fundraising activities involving small as well as major gifts while treating all donors with equal respect and gratitude
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office: Outlook, Word, Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint.
- Experience working with databases (ACT, Advance and SalesForce preferred)
- Ability to function with a high degree of autonomy.
- Time management and organization of multi-tasking work requirements
- Ability to work in a demanding environment, while maintaining superior customer service standards to students, faculty, staff and industry leaders.
- Clearly articulating policies and procedures
- Ability to manage stress of last-minute deadlines and changes
- Using independent judgment to take appropriate action on inquiries
Demonstrated performance in:
- Critically important to be able to handle multiple complex tasks effectively and independently.
- Must possess flexibility and versatility to contribute to evolving work situations.
- Attention to detail essential.
- Following processes, procedures and policies.
- Creating and managing budgets.
- Discretion and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Must project positive image of the University and the Ahlers Center.
- Excellent human relations and interpersonal communications skills.
- Effective communication, both verbally and in writing
- Comfortable working with diverse personalities at all levels (from students to senior executives)
Tools & Equipment Used:
Computer, fax, multi-line phone, printer, photocopier, scanner, Internet, e-mail, and voicemail.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
|Special Application Instructions:
Resume and Cover Letter Required
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours: 37.5; 8:30-5pm, Monday - Friday; Compressed workweek options are available.
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.