Position Title & Department:
|Programmer / System Specialist, Advancement Services
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
The programmer provides back-end database system support in an Oracle database using SQL inside the PLSQL Developer environment. The programmer is required to be familiar with Oracle database table structures and Oracle SQL coding requirements with the ability to alter existing data using extreme care and precision. This position works with the senior programmer to coordinate system upgrades, data integrity updates, and the automation of complex tasks. This position also provides front-end user assistance focusing on Ellucian Advance web client software. The programmer provides accurate and well-designed reports in a timely manner to various departments across the campus. In order to formulate the design requirements, the programmer must interpret user’s needs, clearly communicate system capabilities, and possess a global understanding of the requester’s intent, in the immediate and looking ahead. This position produces analyses of fundraising activities and is adept at troubleshooting problems. The programmer provides assistance to Ellucian Advance end-users throughout the USD community.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Information Systems Programming
- Work with systems users to determine report requirements including data functionality, formatting, and date of delivery.
- Data retrieval using Oracle SQL within PLQL Developer software program.
- Design, support, and implement SQL stored procedures and packages to support database integrity and perform system data maintenance.
- Assist as front-line troubleshooting support for all Ellucian Advance-related phone calls or emails.
- Provide ad-hoc training documentation to users on Ellucian Advance lookups as needed.
- Organize, distribute, log, and file all data requests or projects for future use by creating and/or updating a Sharepoint internal ticketing system.
- Assist with the production of new Cognos reports and, as needed, the support of existing reports.
- Coordinate and assist with the planning and execution of large-scale data uploads or data appends in a continued effort to maintain the best possible data for the end-users.
- Assist in the installation and testing of vendor products interfacing with Ellucian Advance.
- Must stay informed about the latest enhancements to Ellucian Advance and other vendor products to assist end-users in optimizing their utilization of the system.
- Other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, with an emphasis in Computer Science or Information and Decision Systems a plus; experience in a relevant field of study acceptable.
- Minimum of two years’ experience with relational databases, writing and implementing SQL with experience in the following: temp table creation, data uploads, data edits (delete and update statements), data conversions (to_char // to_date // ltrim // substr), and mathematical equations (sum, nvl); exposure to PLSQL preferred.
- Experience with ITS in higher education preferred.
- Ability to quickly learn new technologies and their application environment as well as the detail processes of fundraising and alumni relations systems and business operations.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills required as well as exceptional critical listening and thinking skills; must exhibit attention to detail with excellent organizational skills.
- Exposure to IBM Cognos reporting or another reporting platform preferred.
- Direct experience with higher education or other non-profit software applications; Alumni/Development, financial systems, Student Records Management preferred.
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to design and document reports based on the reporting needs of the end-user.
- Demonstrated experience with technical problem solving and desktop computer support.
- Ability to write and maintain clear, concise report documentation and report training materials to be used by end-users.
- Must be able to work under the pressure of time and frequent requests from multiple sources at all levels of administrative staff, each having their own timelines and constraints.
- Must possess good judgment, tact, sensitivity, and discretion in handling confidential materials and situations.
- Mature interpersonal skills to interact closely with database users; excellent customer service skills. Must be able to work effectively with diverse groups.
- Knowledge of USD policies and procedures and University Advancement’s organizational structure and areas of responsibility preferred.
- Knowledge of ethics statements by APRA, Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE), and other related associations is preferred.
- Must be friendly and personable.
Tools and Equipment Used:
Computer, Oracle PL/SQL, Cognos, Ellucian Advance, SmartCall, iModules, Microsoft Office applications, telephone, fax, and other related office equipment.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
$24.75 per hour; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
|Special Application Instructions:
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at email@example.com
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Closing date: Open Until Filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.