The Office of the President team is responsible for supporting the President in his numerous duties as leader of the university. This includes strategic implementation of university initiatives; administrative support; communications assistance; interfacing with the President's Administrative and Strategic Leadership Teams and the Board of Trustees; stewarding internal and external relationships; maximizing the president's time and ensuring his effectiveness as the university's chief executive, fundraiser, voice and visionary.
In addition to serving as the Assistant Secretary to the Board of Trustees and liaison to critical internal and external constituents, the Special Assistant to the President oversees all operations of the Office of the President.
There are two Executive Assistants in the President’s Office, and they report to the Special Assistant and provide advanced administrative support and excellent, mission-critical customer service. They ensure the office’s smooth daily operation, assist in managing an extremely active executive calendar and coordinate meetings and events for the President and Board of Trustees.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
This recruitment is open to current University of San Diego employees only. Only current USD employees are eligible to apply and be considered for this position.
This is an 11 month position with flexibility to be a 12 month position for the selected candidate.
Oversee the front office reception area and provide excellent, professional customer service. Provide a wide range of complex direct support to the Special Assistant and complex secondary support to the President and Board of Trustees in a fast-paced executive office setting. Assist in the management of calendars, including the preparation of extensive travel itineraries and background briefings for the President. Assist in supervising and training student workers. Review and process expense reports and invoices, track all expenses for the President’s Office and Board of Trustees; prepare reports and correspondence; assist in coordinating meetings, event logistics, and catering requests; maintain and update office records and files; purchase office supplies; and conduct special projects and research as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee the front office reception area and provide excellent customer service when answering multiple phone lines, greeting guests and responding to inquiries; and provide a calming and professional demeanor.
- Assist in overseeing the daily appointments of the President and Special Assistant ensuring flow of meetings are on schedule; reserve guests parking and meeting rooms; prepare materials for meetings; and handle any other duties as it relates to planning and coordinating meetings.
- Plan and coordinate the President’s extensive travel. Responsible for booking international and domestic reservations for air travel, hotel, rail tickets, and car services/rentals. Check President in for all flights and handle any changes to itineraries.
- Assist in overseeing multiple operating budgets in discretionary resources; provide support on budget matters; review and process invoices, monthly credit card statements and receipts; process all departmental business transactions. Order office supplies, run errands, and keep necessary supplies in stock for the President’s Office and Board of Trustees.
- Assist in composing and preparing letters, correspondence, briefing materials and reports, including the use of field mergers.
- Assist in preparing spreadsheets and presentations with proficiency in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and other presentation software. Conduct research, collect and analyze data for presentations and reports as assigned.
- Maintain the President’s Office Business Continuity Plan, organizational charts, internal directory, and emergency contact information.
- Assist in providing administrative support for the President’s membership on boards, councils and task forces internal and external to the University.
- Oversee all incoming announcements concerning new presidents of colleges and universities and prepare congratulatory certificates.
- With the Executive Assistant III, support the Special Assistant in matters pertaining to the Board of Trustees: prepare and organize materials for quarterly meetings; maintain and update Board of Trustees records and governing documents including the confidential Board of Trustees Portal in SharePoint.
- Take and transcribe meeting minutes for the President’s Cabinet meetings when assigned; assist in managing and updating the President’s Cabinet Portal in SharePoint.
- Assist in coordinating events and planning meetings for the President’s Office and Board of Trustees.
- Assist in managing the filing systems for the President’s Office; direct organization of all files; review reservation requests and approve usage of the conference rooms assigned to the President’s Office; oversee and organize storage rooms/closets and keep inventory of all supplies and materials.
- Assist in overseeing the President’s Office general email accounts and track requests for recommendations from internal and external constituents.
- Handle all other duties as assigned.
Special Conditions of Employment:
Effective June 1, 2023, based on CDC guidance, the University strongly encourages all campus members to stay up to date with Influenza and COVID-19 vaccination recommendations. For more regarding information USD's COVID-19 protocols, please visit sandiego.edu/onward.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
- High school diploma required.
- Five years of experience in a fast paced executive level office required. A Bachelor's degree may substitute for up to two years of experience.
- Excellent communication and public relations skills
- Experience with budget management and accounting processes
- Demonstrated ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Thorough knowledge of current office practice and procedures, good business English and proofreading skills
- Must be able to shift priorities in a moment’s notice.
- Must have the ability to deal effectively and diplomatically with diverse personalities and backgrounds.
- Possess excellent organizational and time management skills and must be flexible and adjust to the changing needs of the office.
- Must be able to adapt to changes in technology and computer software.
- Attention to detail a must.
- Knowledge of the university’s Policies and Procedures.
- Knowledge of Workday, Concur and other university software and programs.
- Must be able to represent the office in a professional manner, including dressing in appropriate business attire.
- Flexibility in schedule may be required to work early mornings, evenings and weekends when necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Experience in higher education preferred.
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Understand the University’s unique culture, protocols, and power structure.
- Understand what makes the University different from peer institutions.
- Sensitive to the cultures and concerns of various constituencies.
- Possess a high degree of confidentiality, tact and discretion.
- Possess the ability to handle contacts with high level donors, Board of Trustees, external contacts, etc. with poise, tact and equanimity.
- Possess the ability to work independently, exercise sound judgment and handle routine challenges.
- Be committed to providing a high level of service to all and working in a team environment.
$25.00 - $27.00 per hour; Excellent Benefits
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package including; medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University, and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
The salary range provided in this posting reflects what we reasonably expect to pay for this position. Actual compensation offered or earned is dependent on experience, education and other factors including departmental budget.
|Special Application Instructions:
Resume and Cover Letter Required
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.