The mission of the University of San Diego Facilities Management Department is to efficiently operate, maintain, and support the development of quality facilities, grounds, and services, and at the same time to support our campus community, students, faculty, and staff. Through our efforts we support the university's commitment to pursuing truth, academic excellence, and the advancement of knowledge.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
Provides routine and non-routine labor associated with the daily cleaning of student residential areas. Employee is under immediate or general supervision and performs various duties requiring moderate physical strength. Typical routine duties include but are not limited to: sweeping, wet mopping, vacuuming, dusting, cleaning restrooms, bathrooms, showers, removing trash, polishing furniture, making beds during the Summer Conference program, operation of basic mechanical cleaning equipment and filling out simple forms in English. In addition, employee will assist, when necessary, the lead person and/or the supervisor with on-the-job training of new employees and temporary workers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Clean and disinfect restrooms/shower/bathrooms and fixtures (toilets, urinals, etc.)
- Keep restroom dispensers supplied with paper towels, soap, sanitary napkins, etc.
- Vacuum carpets, rugs, walk off mats.
- Dust mop, sweep, and wet mop floors.
- Police public areas.
- Empty trash receptacles and replace liners.
- Clean elevators and stairwells.
- Straighten/arrange furniture.
- Clean drinking fountains.
- Spot clean carpets, rugs, walk off mats.
- Empty recycle containers.
- Spot mop floors.
- Spot clean windows, walls, doors, and other above floor surfaces.
- Dust and/or clean furniture, window sills, and other above floor surfaces.
- Spray buff floors.
- Polish furniture and fixtures.
- Perform related work as required and instructed.
Performs non-routine duties:
- Strip and refinish floors.
- Wash windows and blinds.
- Shampoo carpets, rugs, and walk-off mats.
- Machine scrub floors.
- Residential Summer Conference Support.
- Thorough dormitory cleaning, Rearrange furniture, Prepare rooms for occupancy (bed making, linens, etc.), Alternate day room servicing, (change linens, etc)
- Perform related work as required and instructed.
Compliance with safety procedures/techniques:
- Must have a full understanding of the Hazardous Communication Program and the information contained in the Material Safety Data Sheets and all Warning Labels.
- Consistently follow safety practices appropriate to the trade and comply with rules and regulations established by the University, state and federal agencies.
Special Conditions of Employment:
- Employee will work assigned hours and is required to work overtime and on weekends, as needed.
- Job hours and/or workday schedule may be changed when necessary to meet supervisory commitments.
- Is required to properly wear a uniform prescribed and furnished by USD.
- May be assigned to work in the vicinity of laboratories that may contain biohazards, radioactive or other potentially hazardous substances where detectable amounts of chemicals and materials, known by the State of California, to cause cancer or birth defects, or other reproductive harm can be found.
Effective June 1, 2023, based on CDC guidance, the University strongly encourages all campus members to stay up to date with Influenza and COVID-19 vaccination recommendations. For more regarding information USD's COVID-19 protocols, please visit sandiego.edu/onward.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
$16.30 - $20.28 per hour; Excellent Benefits
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package including; medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University, and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
The salary range provided in this posting reflects what we reasonably expect to pay for this position. Actual compensation offered or earned is dependent on experience, education and other factors including departmental budget.