Position Title & Department:
| Help Desk Analyst; Information Technology Services
Information Technology Services is a service organization that is integral to the success of the University of San Diego. We succeed only when we meet and exceed the expectations of our customers. We have a passion for excellence and endeavor to set and deliver the highest standards of service, value, integrity, and responsiveness. We celebrate the diversity and power of people, ideas, and cultures. We respect and enrich the academic community in which we operate. We feel a sense of responsibility to lead by examples of creativity, enthusiasm, and loyalty to the University faculty, students, and staff.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
Serves as primary contact for faculty and staff ITS Help Desk customers; Ensures customer satisfaction by delivering 1st and 2nd level technical support; Responds to phone calls, email, web, and walk-up requests in a proficient, creative, and rapid manner to ensure customer productivity; Works towards resolution of calls on first contact; Assists in coordination of day-to-day service delivery by logging requests, problems, and resolutions in problem management system; Resolves or escalates all calls to appropriate ITS staff; keeps customers actively informed of escalation; Maintains ownership of all issues until appropriate resolution is reached and communicated to the customer; Acquires and maintains current knowledge of relevant product and service offerings as well as support policies, in order to provide accurate solutions to customers; Assists ITS Help Desk student staff with technical questions and support calls; Actively contributes solutions to knowledge base management system; Identifies opportunities to improve customer satisfaction; Contributes to the team environment by working collaboratively and assisting other staff members.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Problem Analysis and Resolution
- Log all customer calls into the ITSM problem management system with clear concise language
- Provide first and second level support via telephone, email, web submission, and remote-access by analyzing and resolving support requests with the customer
- Simulate or recreate user problems to resolve operating difficulties
- Troubleshoot the cause of problems, not just the symptoms, taking action to prevent problems from recurring
- Escalate supports requests to Lead Technology Support Analyst, Desktop Support Technicians or appropriate ITS staff member when necessary
- Quickly document and escalate reports of system-wide service degradation or outages, and appropriately notify leadership
- Assist in coordination of day-to-day service delivery by logging requests, problems and resolutions in ITSM problem management system
- Work with the Lead Technology Support Analyst and ITS Help Desk Manager to develop and maintain appropriate documentation
- Actively contributes solutions to knowledgebase Management system and community website
- Greet customer on call with appropriate greeting and provision service
- Provide professional technical support to our customers emphasizing customer service
- De-escalate complicated and nuanced customer service scenarios
- Keep leadership team informed of trends, significant problems and expected delays
- Identify opportunities to improve customer satisfaction
- Respond quickly and professionally to remote communication, such as chat or email
- Stay informed of technology advancements, especially those that will assist with providing quality support of customers
- Participate in required training for both technical and interpersonal skills
- Provide mentoring to ITS Help Desk student staff and encourage them to follow proper procedures and assist them to learn new troubleshooting skills
- Participate in relevant professional development to increase skills and knowledge related to job responsibilities
- Promote teamwork by assisting and supporting other analysts, the Help Desk Student Technicians, and other ITS team members
- Maintain and uphold a culture of care, upholding the mission and core values agreed upon by the ITS Help Desk team
Special Conditions of Employment:
Vacation opportunities may be limited August through September and during semester finals.
The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow our Covid-19 vaccine requirement process. https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited higher-education institution. Alternatively, an equivalent combination of education and relevant industry experience may be acceptable as a minimum in the absence of a degree
- One to three years of experience in a customer service IT support environment
- Core knowledge of and experience with a broad array of computing platforms and systems, including, but not limited to those which operate under Windows and Macintosh operating systems
- Must have strong communication/customer service skills in order to provide the level of phone support required by the ITS Help Desk
- Previous experience with an ITSM tool
- Demonstrated knowledge of professional Help Desk activities and models as well as industry best practices
- Familiarity and/or experience with Salesforce
- One of the following industry certifications: Help Desk Analyst, A+, MCP, ITIL Foundations or MCDST
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Possess strong customer service orientation
- Must be a quick thinker and able to maintain composure in stressful customer service situations
- Possess a collaborative approach to interactions with students, faculty, and staff
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious relationships with co-workers and with a broad range of diverse clients which includes faculty, staff and students
- Appropriate tact and diplomacy as is required to be successful in a public relations environment
- Considerable knowledge in the use of currently supported virus software, currently supported email clients, currently supported web browsers, the Google Suite, and Microsoft office applications
- Initiative and creativity skills in the resolution of problems
- Demonstrate sound judgment in decision making and problem solving skills
- Must be very proactive and a self-starter who can work with minimal
- Excellent oral and written English skills, especially as consultation and accurate communication with non-technical individuals on technical matters is a requirement
- Must possess excellent interpersonal communication skills (verbal, written and listening) since he or she will have daily interaction with faculty, administrators, and staff
- Strong listening skills with the ability to empathize, focusing on customer service
- Ability to work effectively, in a highly organized manner, paying close attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task and work in a dynamic environment
- Possess a positive attitude and willingness to embrace change
- Ability to cooperate as a team member
- Ability to sit for long periods of time and to maintain composure under stressful conditions.
- Physical and mental dexterity to function at a computer console for long periods of time
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package including; medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University, and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
|Special Application Instructions:
Click 'Apply Now' to complete our online application and, for full consideration, please upload a resume
to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at email@example.com
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Closing date: December 20, 2022
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.