The Help Desk Manager is responsible for managing all day to day operations at the ITS help desk, including supervision of full-time staff and part-time student employees, from a customer-centric perspective. Management requires thorough understanding of common technical support and customer service call center responsibilities and practices, including triage of calls, documentations, building efficient workflows, staffing and scheduling, quality diagnostics, call volume analysis, knowledge documentation, guidelines/procedure creation and improvement, metrics and data analysis, project management, etc. This individual must possess robust understanding of enterprise-level technology, great communication skills, strong critical thinking skills, astute judgement, and reliable decision-making skills to ensure appropriate routing and resolution of work.
The Help Desk Manager is also responsible for coordinating with internal and external stakeholders to define service level targets, report on and present compliance with these targets, and ensure continuous improvement that will create and maintain a positive and consistent service experience. Additionally, this individual will act as a conduit between the help desk and other groups at USD, including the other branches in ITS, to enable effective communication and collaboration.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Helpdesk Management and Operations
- Supervises the help desk staff and student workers; completes standard supervisory responsibilities, such as approving timecards and scheduling
- Provides leadership by projecting a positive attitude and modeling professionalism
- Emphasizes employee development, encourages learning and professional skills, provides training, and enables employees to use individual and unique skillsets
- Possesses great communication skill (defining processes, writing summary reports, communicating critical information with the community).
- Up keeping of the helpdesk web pages related to the services provided by the unit
- Works in close partnership and communication with the supervisor obtaining approvals and change management procedures.
- Facilitates training of all department staff and student workers, including new employee onboarding and monthly trainings
- Delegates assignments, projects, and work to employees
- Screens applicants, interviews candidates, and processes/recommends individuals for hire, both for full-time staff and student technicians
- Conducts performance evaluations on a semiannual basis for student workers, and an annual basis for full-time staff. Provides recommendations for staff merit raises
- Determines disciplinary actions that should be imposed on subordinates, with authority to apply such, and/or recommends same to higher level management
- Provide daily and weekly reports to the supervisor on issues that the helpdesk does not have knowledge or has clear service level agreement.
- Maintains scheduling to ensure help desk coverage during normal business hours, holidays, special events, after hours and on-call support as required
- Works closely with technical support partners to define, document, and formalize policies and procedures that meet both internal and external support expectations, including SLAs and escalation expectations
- Independently defines and maintains policies and procedures that ensure accurate and repeatable action to all common disruptions to the IT infrastructure
- Remains on-call during off-peak hours to respond to support service issues
- Maintains competency and enhances professional growth and development through continuing education and conferences
- Reviews and updates ITS help desk services offered to meet the needs of the community
- Manages and assists with major annual events, such as move-in weekend (Netweek), technology conferences, and new student orientation support
- Manages the operations of Student Technology Repairs, including accounting, quality of repairs, purchasing, supply chain, and marketing
- Maintains documentation, procedures, service alerts, and notifications for disruptions to campus technology and other disaster recovery
- Ensures that all team members are in compliance with safety and privacy regulations
Service Desk Reporting and Analysis
- Routinely reports on compliance of ITS service level targets, call volume reports, incidents by type/department/urgency, etc.
- Prepares ad-hoc and scheduled reports (weekly, monthly, quarterly, yearly) for distribution to ITS Management for review and analysis
- Ensures that daily, weekly, and monthly statistics, status reports, and graphical reporting aids are completed and continually modified to meet the needs of the department
- Oversight of the ticketing system for appropriate triage and escalation of cases, ensuring all users inquiries are flagged and addressed within the SLA.
- Monitors and reports on customer satisfaction sentiment
- Uses this data-driven decision making for continual service improvement initiatives and programs
- Provide summary of instances and situations that require management’s attention.
ITS Tools Administration
- Assist with implementation of workflow automations, ITIL processes, and self-service functions
- Assist in managing a service catalog, and ensure relevant service information and processes are maintained
- Report, refine procedures and workflows related to ITS ticketing system
- Maintain knowledge base; ensure KB articles are created, formatted, maintained, published, and retired appropriately and communicated with the respective units accordingly
- Obtain approval for new processes and procedure in working closely with the supervisor
- Evaluate, train on, and master the help desk system to serve as a subject matter expert
Tier I & II Technical Support and Customer Liaison
- Act as an escalation point for complicated and non-standard software and hardware questions submitted to the help desk
- Act as an escalation point for complicated and difficult customer service scenarios
- Work closely with technical support partners to ensure that sufficient information gathering, analysis, and diagnosis occurs before escalation
- Maintains working knowledge of currently deployed IT services and applications
- Identify issues with common root causes, performs root cause analysis, and collaborates to facilitate speedy resolution
- Oversight of vendor supported services and products such as Bomgar and Knowbe4.
- Plan and administer workflows for seamless operation
- Act as backup support for first and second tier support, including phone support, walk-in support, and email support
- Work closely with the OneStop department to assure optimal customer service.
Other Duties as Assigned by Supervisor
Special Conditions of Employment:
Vacation opportunities may be limited August through September and during semester finals. May be required to work variable hours and overtime, including weekends. Must be available to respond to escalations during evenings, weekends and holidays.
The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow our Covid-19 vaccine requirement process. https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited higher-education institution and three progressive/consecutive years of relevant experience; two additional years of relevant experience may substitute for the degree requirement.
- Minimum five years of experience managing staff and/or projects
- Minimum three years’ experience and knowledge of: Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office, antivirus software, VPN clients, Mac OS, iOS, and Google Suite.
- Experience deploying, configuring, administrating, and using an enterprise-level ITSM tool
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in dealing with difficult interpersonal situations
- Must be a team player, collaborative in nature and in practice, possess strong communication skills, and a strong customer-centered philosophy in alignment with the unit.
- Experience as a Helpdesk Manager in a higher education setting
- ITIL Foundations Certification
- ITSM tool management
- A+ Certification
- N+, MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional)
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated expertise and proficiency in diagnosing complex hardware and software problems; ability to articulate diagnoses and solutions at varying levels of technical sophistication
- Proficiency in training and supervising employees
- A strong team player, works effectively under pressure and has the ability to multitask
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills that ensure high quality interactions with faculty, administrators, staff, and students
- Exceptional documentation skills—short and long term needs
- Provide surprise-free information to the supervisor and obtain approval before turning them into new and approved workflows.
- Exercise proper judgment taking care of client computers and sensitive data
- Utilizes effective time management and organizational skills; sets and meets deadlines
- Commitment to quality, customer-oriented service
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Reliable and punctual
- Adaptable and a quick learner; able to work in a dynamic environment
- Familiarity with standard technology applications and concepts, including Mac and Windows operating systems, email systems, Microsoft office, G Suite, antivirus software, wireless networking, etc.
- Able to lift 50 pounds (monitors, printers, scanners, etc.)