Position Title & Department:
|Associate Director of Student Success and Career Development; Joan B Kroc School of Peace Studies
The Kroc School of Peace Studies trains the changemakers and peacebuilders of today and tomorrow. Kroc is the first stand-alone school of peace in the United States. Innovation in learning and programs is at the center of what we do and who we are. We combine theory and practice not just to understand crises and world issues, but also to imagine new possibilities and develop solutions to humanity’s urgent challenges from increasing inequality and violence to climate change. At Kroc, people discover new ways of building more peaceful and socially just communities through a multidisciplinary lens and experiential learning. We look for passionate individuals who believe in the power of university learning to transform the world for the better.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
The Associate Director of Student Success and Career Development (AD) will lead initiatives designed to enhance professionalism and career readiness of Kroc Students, from surveys to training workshops to networking opportunities to initiatives in experiential learning that further the Kroc School’s pedagogical goals and prepares students for purposeful careers. This will require the ability to engage a global community of Kroc School (and USD) alumni for career and mentorship opportunities. The AD is an experienced networker with a strong sense of the labor market and capacity to connect with diverse types of employers. This person knows what employers are looking for and works in tandem with the Assistant Dean and the Faculty to enhance career readiness of students. The AD is also responsible for leading services and activities that enhance the overall student experience at Kroc, from orientation-design to co-curricular components that add value to the different academic programs. The individual in this position must know what is required to succeed in a job application process. We are seeking a person who is both people-centric and data driven.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead assessment of the quality of the student experience at the Kroc School and develop proposals for improvement and celebration.
- Design survey and other feedback mechanisms to support recommendations for adjustments and improvements in academic programs.
- Design and implement initiatives that enrich the student experience in alignment with program goals and the mission of the Kroc School.
- Conduct degree audits and ensure accuracy of student records in coordination with DARS.
- Support students in establishing links between student services at the School and the University. Serve as liaison between Grad Life and the Kroc School. Ensure coordination and alignment with USD graduate student support initiatives.
- Manage a portfolio of experiential learning initiatives that includes: semester-long externships, local and international internships, practicum and study-abroad courses. This work includes coordinating efforts with faculty at Kroc as well as connecting with the different units at the university that provide services and support for this type of initiatives.
- Work alongside Academic Affairs, Program Advisors and Faculty on experiential learning opportunities; leading in logistics and troubleshooting.
- Work with faculty advisors and the Academic Affairs team to provide support to students.
- Lead the creation of a plan to enhance student resilience and well-being.
- Find viable solutions to emerging situations.
- Engage actively in designing student orientation activities.
- Maintain current, relevant, up-to-date information on the Student Resources Site regarding student success initiatives.
- Develop a plan with strategies and goals for improving levels of career readiness among students, enhancing professionalism and increasing employability rates upon graduation.
- Develop and maintain relationships with employers about the value proposition of our programs; offering ways for employers to meet and engage with our students, faculty, and staff, and visit the Kroc School.
- Advise students about experiential learning opportunities in relation to their career goals, guiding them on resolving and learning from any problems that arise in the course of their externships.
- Measure alumni employment longitudinally by sending Alumni Career Outcomes Survey and tracking data.
- Lead activities that engage Kroc School (and USD) alumni in career and mentorship opportunities.
- Work in tandem with USD Career Services, the Academic Affairs team, and faculty to provide current students and alumni with career development opportunities including resume and cover letter development, interview skills, workshops, networking events, and guest speakers.
- Assist with maintenance of online resources and career service management systems. Manage and assess networking initiatives for students like Mentoring Alliance. Work with Academic Affairs, External Relations team, and faculty to identify and cultivate new mentors. Coordinate and support logistics for connecting students and mentors.
- Assess plan(s), evaluate services, and propose improvements.
- Identify career opportunities at the local, national, and international level. Manage information regarding career services at Kroc, career opportunities for candidates of different programs, and specific placement opportunities from partners.
- Serve as liaison to USD departments, community partners, potential employers, and other appropriate constituents.
- Teach or co-teach KROC 597 Professional Portfolio.
- Support the co-curricular components of the different academic programs including graduate student organizations, Social Innovation Challenge and other opportunities for student success and career development.
- Work with the Assistant Dean to strengthen alumni engagement
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
Special Conditions of Employment:
The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow our Covid-19 vaccine requirement process. https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university At least 3 years of experience in education administration, graduate student services, program management, partnership management, professional coaching, career services, leadership development, human resource department, or alumni relations.
- Must have demonstrated commitment to issues of DEI and social justice. Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills, keen attention to detail, strong administrative, project management and problem-solving skills.
- Must be able to work collaboratively with individuals at all levels of an organization.
- Experience in teaching or professional coaching
- 5-7 year experience in education administration, graduate student services, program management, partnership management, professional coaching, career services, leadership development, human resource department or alumni relations
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Highly organized, motivated and detail oriented.
- Ability to set priorities, meet deadlines and work independently.
- Knowledge of best practices within career development and employment opportunities within the private, public, and nonprofit sectors.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Entrepreneurial with capacity to identify and develop new opportunities
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and in a collaborative team.
- Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines and manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work in a fast paced and occasionally high-pressure environment. Ability to remain flexible and to work in a growing and changing organization and possess flexibility and versatility in order to contribute to evolving work situations.
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package including; medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University, and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
|Special Application Instructions:
Resume and Cover Letter Required
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at email@example.com
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.