The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
The University seeks an individual with a strong interest in working in a mission-driven, faith-based institution. The role of the custodian in working with the campus community and the responsibilities of the position are significantly tethered to the university’s contemporary Roman Catholic mission.
The Custodian is responsible for the cleaning, sanitation, maintenance, and security of assigned food service areas. Periodically, this position may be asked to lead or contribute to either ad hoc or ongoing division/campus projects outside the scope of their day-to-day activities. In addition. This position contributes to or leads additional division/campus projects outside of typical duties to help further accomplish student or organizational goals. Additional assignments may be seasonal, ad hoc, or ongoing, depending on the project.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsible for regular cleaning and maintenance of all assigned areas and equipment
- Cleans, sanitizes and maintains all pots, pans, and dishes.
- Cleans, sanitizes and maintains all employee restroom areas
- Empties trash, replaces liners, cleans trash receptacles, and lids as needed.
- Breaks down and disposes of all boxes and containers at appropriate disposal site; recycles empty cans and bottles.
- Maintains assigned floor areas, including underneath and behind all equipment as well as adjacent hallway areas.
- Cleans and maintains dock areas and elevator doors and floors.
- Cleans and maintains custodial closet.
- Cleans and maintains custodial equipment (vacuum, buffer, mops, broom, etc.).
- Scrubs and replaces floor mats.
- Cleans and sanitizes floor sinks.
- Maintains walls, windows, and fixtures in all assigned areas.
- Cleans and maintains all furniture.
- Cleans, polishes and maintains stainless steel and glass surfaces.
- Cleans and maintains employee locker rooms.
- Maintains Hazmat labeling on all cleaning products
- Cleans related work office areas
- Cleans and maintains all walk-ins.
Responsible for deep cleaning projects as assigned
- Cleans portable warmers and kitchen racks
- Cleans all gaskets in walk-ins, freezers, and warmers.
- Cleans fans in office areas and fan covers in walk-ins.
- Washes utensil drawers.
- Polishes floors.
- Cleans gas cart and cover as well as van interior
- Cleans refrigerators and shelving.
- Cleans host kitchens as necessary.
- Assists with and performs event setups and cleanups as requested.
- Helps cooks with kitchen prep as requested.
- Reports necessary equipment needs and repairs to supervisor promptly.
- Understands and follows University and Dining Services policies
- Implements and maintains proper sanitation and safety standards in the workplace at all times.
- Will drive vehicle/truck as needed for special events.
Special Conditions of Employment:
- May be laid off during semester breaks (December/January and May). Required to work flexible hours including weekends and some holidays. During intersession and summer conference periods may be required to change scheduled hours and work a variety of areas depending on the need of the department.
- Must be able to work with various cleaning chemicals which require the use of goggles and gloves.
The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow our Covid-19 vaccine requirement process. https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent.
- Valid Driver's license required.
- Some experience is preferred but not required.
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Possess good communication skills; able to communicate concerns, report accidents, and provide information regarding safety issues and equipment/supply needs.
- Understanding of cleaning solutions, use, and safety precautions.
- Knowledge of sanitation and safety requirements as they pertain to dining service functions.
- Ability to organize work and materials for maximum productivity.
- Possess excellent personal hygiene as set forth in the Dining Services grooming and appearance standards.
- Ability to work well with others, understand instructions and accept constructive criticism.
- Knowledge of energy conservation measures and ability to utilize them whenever applicable.
- Strong skills in the use of specific equipment and tools as identified below.
Certificates‚ Licenses‚ Registration:
- Must complete a 3-hour sanitation class as required by the San Diego Health Department
- Must complete the University’s Hazmat Communication Program
$17.75 per hour; Excellent Benefits
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package including; medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University, and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.