The Division of Student Affairs is committed to grounding our policies, programs, and procedures in antiracist practice. With this commitment, we recognize the importance of educating ourselves and holding one another accountable to ensure our work is approached through an equity, inclusion, and social justice lens. We recognize our need for ongoing development in this area, and continue to strive to improve. We expect all members of the Division of Student Affairs are willing to engage in this work alongside us to uphold our Catholic mission in creating a welcoming environment where the dignity of all students, staff, administrators, and faculty at USD is embraced.
The university seeks an individual with a strong interest in working at a mission driven, faith-based institution. In line with our mission, the Division of Student Affairs is committed to grounding our policies, programs, and procedures in antiracist practice. With this commitment, we recognize the importance of educating ourselves and holding one another accountable to ensure our work is approached through an equity, inclusion, and social justice lens. We recognize our need for ongoing development in this area and continue to strive to improve. We expect all members of the Division of Student Affairs are willing to engage in this work alongside us to uphold our Catholic mission in creating a welcoming environment where the dignity of all students, staff, administrators, and faculty at USD is embraced.
The Assistant Director coordinates programs and services focusing on social justice, identity exploration, leadership development, empowerment, and changemaking. They will work as a member of the team to bring together the work of The Commons, a collective of identity spaces which includes the Black Student Resource Commons, LGBTQ+ & Allies Commons, United Front Multicultural Commons and Women’s Commons. The Assistant Director works closely with the United Front Multicultural Commons to support existing programs and the Latinx and AAPI communities. Due to the evolving nature of our work we are seeking an individual with a keen ability to collaborate, someone who can implement visionary ways of working, and who is comfortable adjusting work requirements to meet the needs of students and the USD community. They complete work assignments with minimal supervision and have the ability to prioritize, organize, and complete tasks effectively and in a timely manner. The role requires flexibility, enthusiasm, initiative, and strong problem-solving and multi-tasking skills.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists in the strategic planning process of The Commons and subsequent implementation and evaluation of services and programs.
- Participates in relevant on-campus meetings and committees to enhance diversity, inclusion, and social justice efforts.
- Conducts constituency needs assessments, formulates recommendations, and implements new programs and services in alignment with university co-curricular learning outcomes to increase sense of belonging for marginalized student populations.
- Attends joint meetings and retreats.
Program Support & Development
- Develops and maintains student services and programs that connect the work of identity spaces and support the Division’s work on belonging, mattering, student voice, and activism.
- Provides support and direction in the development of programs and services focusing on social justice, identity exploration, and leadership/empowerment development.
- Coordinate programming for Latinx and AAPI communities in order to enhance recruitment, retention, sense of belonging, and community.
- Assist in developing programs including preparing contracts, communicating with speakers/trainers, and scheduling venues, catering, and audio/visual equipment for events.
- Coordinates the United Front Leadership Council (UFLC) and creates opportunities for student leaders and the UFLC to connect, become involved on and off campus, and develop tangible skills to thrive at USD.
- Supports diversity, inclusion, and social justice programming for student leader training as well as fall and spring orientations.
- Develops working partnerships with faculty and staff and serves as liaison between The Commons and other units in Student Affairs, Academic Affairs, and other university divisions.
- Attends events during daytime, evening, and weekend hours to ensure successful implementation of programs.
- Follows-up and makes referrals as needed to campus resources.
Supervision & Advising
- Implements student development theory to provide student support and advising.
- Supervises UFMC work-study and casual labor student staff including recruitment and performance evaluation.
- Supervises one graduate student that works for the United Front Multicultural Commons.
- Assists with student staff and office training; assists with training and development opportunities.
- Works closely with and advises student staff across The Commons.
- Serve as a resource for students in the absence of the Directors.
- Supports special projects and serves on University committees as assigned by the Directors.
- Welcomes constituents with a positive attitude and sensitivity and helps maintain a welcoming and inclusive environment; refers individuals and/or questions to appropriate resources when needed.
- Contribute to or lead additional division/campus projects outside of typical duties to help further accomplish student success or organizational goals. Additional assignments may be seasonal, ad hoc or ongoing, depending on the project.
Special Conditions of Employment:
The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow our Covid-19 vaccine requirement process. https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
- Masters degree required.
- One year professional experience in student affairs or diversity, equity and inclusion work, which may include graduate experience (e.g., assistantship/internship/practicum).
- Demonstrated knowledge of DEI work and experience working effectively with diverse populations.
- Experience related to supervision and advising student leaders, undergraduate/graduate student employees, or professional staff.
Performance Expectations - Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to understand and articulate the complexity and needs and concerns of underrepresented groups; ability to advocate for students around multiple identity groups including race, ethnicity, class, gender, sexual orientation, and other significant aspects of individual and cultural identity.
- Must be a self-starter with initiative and ability to stay on top of work with minimum of supervision and anticipate needs of organization; must be able to work independently, taking initiative on multiple projects, and maintain deadlines.
- Interest in and ability to work with a diverse student body and staff.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a diverse population, including the ability to develop and use empathetic listening skills, communicate with clarity, and maintain an attitude that conveys respect, assistance, honesty, and resourcefulness.
- Knowledge of and skill in budgeting, fiscal management, and reporting preferred.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the principles of student development preferred.
- Ability to work closely with and motivate students required.
- Experience in program development, training, and advocacy preferred.
- Computer literacy and experience using Google Suite required.
- Position requires attention to detail, excellent organizational, and time management skills.
- Willingness to support the Catholic mission and vision of the University.
- Demonstrated practice of centering diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in one’s work including an ongoing commitment to personal learning and development in this area.
- Demonstrated commitment to student learning and development in the co-curriculum and experience assessing the impact of programs and related services.