As the liberal arts heart of the University of San Diego, the College of Arts and Sciences is filled with students who are versatile and multi-talented. No matter their major, graduates from the college are equipped with transferable skills that benefit them wherever their professional and personal ambitions lead.
Founded in 1949, the college has a rich history of providing the core curriculum for every undergraduate USD student, a tradition that continues today. By offering 29 majors, 37 minors and 3 graduate programs, the college is where undergraduate students begin and graduate students refine their paths towards academic excellence and personal achievement.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
The Director of Marketing and Communications has the responsibility for leading the development and implementation of marketing, branding, communications (internal and external) and public relations strategies across the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) and its departments. This position will oversee and direct strategies to enhance the visibility and reputation of CAS, and by extension the greater university, including all appropriate digital, print and interactive media.
Duties and Responsibilities
Implementation of strategy and plans
- Lead, drive, and oversee the implementation of both the College and individual department/programs’/centers’ marketing, branding & communication plans to advance positioning and overall reputation in the long and short term.
- Guide direction of the College’s comprehensive digital presence, with special attention to websites, social media and SEO, to enhance recruiting efforts, national reputation, development activities and alumni/parent connections.
- Collaborate on university-wide strategies in cooperation with Public Affairs, Admissions, Athletics, Student Affairs, Marketing and Strategic Partnerships, University Communications, and others.
- Manage and continually refine internal communications and outreach strategies.
- Supervise the implementation of College sponsored events.
Developing comprehensive marketing and brand strategy
- Ensure that marketing strategies and plans for the College and departments are in place, and activities and outcomes are clearly defined.
- Provide support to departments in the College to advise and guide their communications initiatives, branding and event planning.
- Ensure that marketing strategies are aligned with the Dean’s initiatives and priorities.
- Periodically review and revise strategy and plan as necessary to meet changing trends and best practices.
- Collect key performance measures (e.g., web traffic, digital marketing, media placements, etc.) to evaluate effectiveness of current strategy.
- Articulate and document institutional positioning, brand promise and associated value propositions for all CAS stakeholders (current and prospective) for the College and individual departments/programs.
Communications and reputation management (internal, external)
- Support the external promotion of faculty work, student scholarship and innovative programs in the College
- Create and execute communication plans - research, writing, editing and design services across platforms - for internal and external stakeholders.
- Design, maintain and guide the implementations of a comprehensive, cohesive communications plan for departments
- Develop speeches, prepare power point presentations, etc. for the dean.
- Lead the development of marketing skills and capabilities of relevant personnel in the College and individual programs (e.g. host workshops, one-on-one trainings, create guides and tutorials, etc.).
- Represent the College of Arts and Sciences and Dean’s Office on various committees (CRM, Social Media, Community Relations/Outreach, Dean’s Advisory Council(s), among others).
- Collaborate with university leadership and other marketing directors on initiatives, and advocate for the priorities of the College.
- Serve as the central source of expertise and advice on all brand-related activities in the College.
- In conjunction with CAS’s Director of Development, manage the Development Assistant on project priorities, training/skill development, planning and professional development.
- Supervision of additional staff.
- Collaborate and coordinate marketing and communications with College departmental Executive Assistants and the Departmental Coordinators.
Build partnerships with constituencies outside the College
- Alumni Relations
- Public Relations and Community Relations
- Marketing and Strategic partnerships, University Publications
- Other USD academic units marketing and communication staff
Other duties as assigned
- Manage relationships and contracts with outside vendors on an as-needed basis.
- Oversee the budget and expenses associated with the College’s marketing and communications efforts.
- Attend key College events and participate in College and USD wide activities.
Special Conditions of Employment:
The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow our Covid-19 vaccine requirement process. https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
- Education: graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree
- Experience: 5 years of experience in marketing and communications with a successful track record of writing, editing, marketing and social media for business purposes, communications and public relations.
- This individual needs proven expertise in the professional use of social media and knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite and AP Style.
- Education: graduation from an accredited college or university with a Master’s degree.
- Experience: 8 years of experience in marketing and communications, including experience working with multifaceted brands/projects and communicating the value of an institution to various audiences.
- This individual will have at least four years of experience managing long-term marketing and communications projects and planning high-profile events, and two years of experience working with university leadership on developing and implementing communications initiatives.
- Candidate will have proven expertise creating social media strategies and extensive knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office, content management software, customer retention solution (CMS) software and AP Style.
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience with formal marketing planning; demonstrated understanding of marketing analytics and their role in developing strategy
- Ability to work collegially with faculty, staff, students and members of the community
- Ability to brand and market using print, digital and social media
- Actively use, embrace and understand the importance and changing nature of social media (Twitter, Facebook, Linked In, and other sites)
- Interpersonal and communication skills
- Marketing skills, including digital marketing, and ability particularly in brand management Public relations, communication, and media relations skills
- Ability to interact with alumni and other community groups
- A commitment to liberal arts educational mission of the College and USD
- Exercise initiative and creativity
- Work in a busy, fast paced environment with high customer service standards
- Ability to function with the highest degree of autonomy
- Time management and organization of multitasking work requirements
- Communicating effectively both verbally and in writing
- Ability to assume responsibility and effectively resolve problems by exercising independent judgment in meeting challenges and inventing and implementing procedures
- Ability to focus on technical details in an environment with many distractions
- Ability to shift mental tasks from the minute and technical to interpersonal and creative at any given moment
- Detail oriented, organized, and an accurate individual with time management skills
- Ability to supervise and mentor others
- Willing and able to work extra hours (nights and weekends, as needed) as well as peak times