The Division of Student Affairs is committed to grounding our policies, programs, and procedures in antiracist practice. With this commitment, we recognize the importance of educating ourselves and holding one another accountable to ensure our work is approached through equity, inclusion, and social justice lens. We recognize our need for ongoing development in this area and continue to strive to improve. We expect all members of the Division of Student Affairs are willing to engage in this work alongside us to uphold our Catholic mission in creating a welcoming environment where the dignity of all students, staff, administrators, and faculty at USD is embraced.
The University seeks an individual with a strong interest in working in a mission-driven, faith-based institution. The Custodian is responsible for the cleaning, sanitation, maintenance, and security of assigned food service areas. Periodically, this position may be asked to lead or contribute to either ad hoc or ongoing division/campus projects outside the scope of their day-to-day activities. In addition. This position contributes to or leads additional division/campus projects outside of typical duties to help further accomplish student or organizational goals. Additional assignments may be seasonal, ad hoc, or ongoing, depending on the project.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsible for regular cleaning and maintenance of all assigned areas and equipment.
- Cleans, sanitizes and maintains all pots, pans, and dishes.
- Cleans, sanitizes, and maintains all employee restroom areas.
- Empties, trash, replace liners, clean trash receptacles, and lids as needed.
- Breaks down and disposes of all boxes and containers inappropriate disposal site; recycles empty cans and bottles.
- Maintains assigned floor areas, including underneath and behind all equipment as well as adjacent hallway areas.
- Cleans and maintains dock areas and elevator doors and floors.
- leans and maintains custodial closet.
- Cleans and maintains custodial equipment (vacuum, buffer, mops, broom, etc.).
- Scrubs and replaces floor mats.
- Cleans and sanitizes floor sinks.
- Maintains walls, windows, and fixtures in all assigned areas.
- Cleans and maintains all furniture.
- Cleans, polishes, and maintains stainless steel and glass surfaces.
- Cleans and maintains employee locker rooms.
- Cleans related work office areas.
- Maintains Hazmat labeling on all cleaning products.
- Cleans and maintains all walk-ins.
- Cleans and maintains back and front of the house areas in the UC Kitchen, La Gran Terraza Restaurant, JCP Kitchen in Warren, IJP Kitchen, this includes the floors, walls, countertops, refrigerators, utensils, cooktops, etc., as assigned.
Responsible for deep cleaning projects as assigned.
- Cleans portable warmers and kitchen racks.
- Cleans all gaskets in walk-ins, freezers, and warmers.
- Cleans fan in office areas and fan covers in walk-ins.
- Washes utensil drawers.
- Polishes floors.
- Cleans gas cart and cover as well as van interior.
- Cleans refrigerators and shelving.
- Cleans host kitchens as necessary.
- Puts away supplies and deliveries as needed.
- Orders chemicals and supplies needed for custodial duties
- Assists in the monthly inventory of supplies
- Assists with and performs event setups and cleanups as requested.
- Helps cooks with kitchen prep as requested.
- Reports necessary equipment needs and repairs to supervisor promptly.
- Understands and follows University and Dining Services policies.
- Always implements and maintains proper sanitation and safety standards in the workplace .
- Will drive vehicle/truck as needed for special events.
Special Conditions of Employment:
The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow our Covid-19 vaccine requirement process. https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/
May be laid off during semester breaks (December/January and May).
Required to work flexible hourly schedule including weekends and some holidays.
Must be able to work a flexible schedule during intersession and summer conference periods.
Must work with various cleaning chemicals requiring the use of goggles and gloves.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent.
- Valid Drivers License
- Available nights and weekends
- Some experience is preferred but not required.
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Possess good communication skills; able to communicate concerns, report accidents, and provide information regarding safety issues and equipment/supply needs.
- Understanding of cleaning solutions, use, and safety precautions.
- Knowledge of sanitation and safety requirements as they pertain to dining service functions.
- Ability to organize work and materials for maximum productivity.
- Possess excellent personal hygiene as set forth in the Dining Services grooming and appearance standards.
- Ability to work well with others, understand instructions and accept constructive criticism.
- Knowledge of energy conservation measures and ability to utilize them whenever applicable.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Must complete a 3-hour sanitation class as required by the San Diego Health Department.
- Must complete the University’s Hazmat Communication Program.
$17.75 per hour; Excellent Benefits
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package including; medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University, and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Education: Tuition opportunities supporting the education of employees and eligible dependents.
Attractive Shifts: Minimal late night hours. Ten paid holidays. No Christmas Day or New Year’s Day shifts.
Discounts: USD Torero Store, Bartell Hotels, local event tickets. Free tickets to most USD sporting events.