Executive Assistant I, Environmental and Ocean Sciences
Posting #: 4021
Position Status: Full-time regular
Location: San Diego
Position Type: Staff, College of Arts and Sciences
Position Title & Department:
| Executive Assistant I, Environmental and Ocean Sciences; College of Arts and Sciences
Environmental and Ocean Sciences at USD is a research-oriented department, offering undergraduate and graduate programs, with numerous opportunities in the field alongside passionate and engaged faculty in San Diego — and across the globe. Committed to advanced research, our undergraduate and graduate students gain the benefit of a well-rounded, comprehensive education that is bolstered by applicable field work and lab experience.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
The executive assistant organizes, manages and coordinates all administrative efforts in support of the department and serves as the primary contact for university personnel, students and parents, and external contacts including the general public. The executive assistant supports the chair in all aspects of department management including monitoring the budget. Administrative support for faculty includes photocopying, ordering supplies, and other duties as assigned.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Maintain regular functions of department office:
- Answer or direct general inquiries by phone & email
- Greet and direct visitors
- Serve as the first point of contact for students
- Receive and sort mail
- Coordinate deliveries and technical services
- Order department supplies using university protocols
- Ensure department facilities are maintained as needed
Budget and Operations:
- Keep budget records to ensure spending is aligned with budget allocation
- Process faculty expense reports and other accounts payable forms
- Access budget information through Workday
- Process part time faculty contracts using Docusign
- Coordinate background checks for new employees
- Orient new faculty and staff to office procedures
- Maintain and audit the department website, including faculty biographical information, consistent with University Communications standards
- Curate department social media accounts and align with College communication outreach
- Coordinate marketing efforts for department sponsored events with College marketing team
- Coordinate department newsletter and/or other communication and/or promotional materials
- Organize department level student and/or faculty events (i.e. Honors Society Ceremony, Invited Speakers, Film Screenings, Lecture Series, etc.) as needed
Supervision of Work Study student:
- Supervise work-study student activities
- Approve time cards
- Delegate tasks; provide performance feedback and mentoring
- Advertise positions and hire work-study students, as necessary
- Requires HS Diploma and four years of experience or Bachelor’s degree and two years of experience in a position that requires critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Proven record of superior customer service skills and a commitment to keep improving those skills
- Excellent communication skills with demonstrated capabilities of maintaining confidential information and handling sensitive data with discretion and tact.
- Must possess the ability to handle multiple tasks, deadlines, and time constraints in a calm and effective manner.
- Takes initiative in all performance areas
- Detail oriented, independent thinker and worker who has the ability to make appropriate judgment calls as needed on a case-by-case basis, as well as work in a team environment.
- Proven ability using computers for business/accounting applications.
Performance Expectations - Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Word, Excel, Power Point
- Google office systems
- Cascade CMS
Special Conditions of Employment:
The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow our Covid-19 vaccine requirement process. https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
$18.82-$24.00 per hour; Excellent Benefits
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package including; medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University, and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
|Special Application Instructions:
Resume Required, Cover Letter Preferred
Click 'Apply Now' to complete our online application and, for full consideration, please upload a resume
to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. You are also strongly recommended to upload a cover letter
to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Advertised: Pacific Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend