Provides direct support for the Dean of the School of Law. Responsible for organizing, managing, and assisting in the day-to-day functions of the Dean’s Office, including correspondence, calendars, travel arrangements, meetings, mail distribution, and phone inquiries. Assumes responsibility for coordinating the law school’s Master Calendar. Serves as the Dean’s Office liaison for the faculty, students, and staff. Drafts, edits, and produces correspondence, reports, summaries, and other documents. Independently responds to requests for assistance, tracks unresolved issues, inquiries, and tasks to ensure timely response and resolution. Drafts and organizes briefing materials/presentations, coordinates seminars, conferences, and meetings for the Dean. Assists the Dean with research and preparation of reports, scholarship, and teaching. Handles internal and external liaison, schedules and coordinates activities for visiting professors and law school guests. Processes business transactions such as contracts, reimbursements, and requisitions. Maintains highly confidential files. Responsible for independent problem solving and performs duties with a professional level of customer service, courtesy, and confidentiality. Exercises excellent judgement and discretion at the highest executive level.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- The responsibilities described here are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Provides administrative assistance to the Dean Manage the Dean’s short and long term calendar including scheduling meetings and coordinating agendas.
- Review and track correspondence submitted to the Dean’s Office.
- Make all arrangements for social and business functions for the Dean.
- Coordinate travel arrangements, both domestic and international, for the Dean.
- Coordinate law school sponsorships for events.
- Acts as a source of information for faculty, staff, students and external constituents. Composes and processes communications, memoranda, etc. to faculty, administration, staff, and other constituents of the law school.
- Prepare briefing materials/documents and packets for meetings, seminars, and presentations.
- Processes expense reports, petty cash and check requests for special programs.
- Prepares contracts and provides assistance to all full-time faculty Prepares highly confidential contracts and files.
- Maintain database of faculty. Maintain faculty contract and performance files.
- Prepare and track various stipend, research grants, and other faculty agreements.
- Provide support for Faculty Appointments Committee, Faculty Advisory Committee, and Faculty Development Committee Responsible for law school’s Master Calendar Coordinate scheduling requests for the law school Master Calendar.
- Acts as a source of information for faculty, staff, students and external constituents.
- Assists in contacting tenured and other faculty for presentation scheduling. Confers with Dean and Associate Dean on specific scheduling issues and works to resolve the conflicts with other units. Provides administrative support for the Dean’s academic responsibilities Prepare drafts of articles and books as part of the Dean’s scholarly research.
- Assist the dean with gathering information for his scholarship and teaching. Prepare detailed reports and materials for the Dean.
- Assists with US News, AALS, and ABA reporting and accreditation Helps coordinate all annual reporting requirements and disclosures.
- Tracks faculty counts and reporting classifications.
- Assists Vice Dean and Assistant Dean, Finance and Administration to coordinate logistics and other special needs during ABA site visits.
- Other duties Represent the law school in a professional manner; answering phones, and greeting guests for the Dean. Coordinate faculty meetings. Supports the Law School Vice Dean in the absence of the Executive Assistant to the Vice Dean.
- Assists with filing, mail system, etc. as needed in the Dean’s Office. Maintain Dean’s Office storage room.
- Other duties as assigned.
Special Conditions of Employment:
The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow our Covid-19 vaccine requirement process. https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
- High school degree required
- Three years general office experience required; high degree of external contact required
- Ability to interact effectively with faculty, administrators, staff, students and guests of the law school using tact, diplomacy, and flexibility.
- Absolute reliability in matters of confidentiality. Strong demonstrated organizational skills to work independently, prioritize job functions to meet deadlines, ensure smooth work flow, and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work under pressure and with frequent interruptions.
- Demonstrated skills to effectively analyze, problem-solve, recommend solutions, and implement action.
- Demonstrated accuracy and orderly work habits and capacity for detail.
- Strong customer service skills. Excellent computer skills, including software applications, such as EMS, , Microsoft Word, Excel, Blackboard, Zoom, Panopto, and Banner with ability to learn new computer applications.
- Strong demonstrated interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills with diverse groups and situations.
- Proficient in the use of standard office machines.
- Skills to edit and proofread communications and materials for accuracy and proper use of grammar, spelling, and punctuations.
- Ability and willingness to adjust schedule to coincide with the Dean’s
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- High level executive support experience preferred.