Consistent with the University of San Diego's philosophy of developing the whole person, the Counseling Center's core purpose is to enhance the emotional, relational, and psychological well-being of students. We strive to facilitate students' personal growth and enhance their academic success through accessible, culturally congruent clinical and outreach services. We work in collaboration with other Wellness and university departments and community partners.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
The University seeks an individual with a strong interest in working at a mission driven, faith-based institution. The responsibilities of the position are significantly tethered in the university's contemporary Roman Catholic mission. Provide broad-spectrum, brief counseling and psychotherapy, psychological assessment, consultation, case management/care coordination, and crisis intervention to students. Participate in Center’s collaborative care services provided in coordination with our Student Health Center colleagues. Participate in culturally responsive outreach, training, and liaison activities, and provide services to diverse and under-served populations. Participate in the APA approved doctoral internship and other training programs by providing supervision and training to interns and other trainees. Serve as campus and professional organizations liaison. Provide outreach including psychological consultation and psycho-educational programming to students, faculty, and staff. Provide after-hours emergency coverage on a rotating basis and other after-hours services as needed. Fulfill other responsibilities as indicated and assigned. Adhere to professional ethics standards as mandated by state licensing board. Secure and maintain immunizations as mandated by local medical authorities and recommended by the Center for Disease Control. Operates under the close supervision of the Clinical Director or Senior Director of Mental and Behavioral Health, pending location. Periodically, this position may be asked to lead or contribute to either ad hoc or ongoing division/campus projects outside the scope of their day-to-day activities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
After-hours emergency coverage
- Rotated among staff, typically no more than 6-7 weeks per year
- On a rotating basis, carry Center’s emergency cell phone and be available for after-hours crisis intervention and urgent consultation with members of the university community
- In consultation with Director and other Wellness colleagues, coordinate Wellness response to after-hours psychological emergencies
Coverage of triage hours
- Provide brief assessment of students’ psychological needs
- Arrange for follow-up counseling as needed
- Provide case management/care coordination as needed Primary
- Assessment of risk to self or others
- Assessment for possible hospitalization
- Initiate legally mandated reporting of suspected abuse of minors, elderly, or disable persons
- Initiate legally mandated reporting of risk or danger to others
- Provide urgent care coordination/case management
- Provide individual or group debriefings in response to distressing events
Consultation and outreach
- Provide psychological consultation and psycho-educational programming to university community as relevant to the Center’s mission
- Develop psycho-educational programming
- Participate in campus committees and task forces as needed or assigned
Administration, following university policies and procedures
- Maintain clinical documentation following university, state, and HIPAA guidelines
- Attend and participate in staff meetings
- Attend and participate in Mental and Behavioral Health team and Wellness Integrated Care Team meetings
- Attend and participate in training and supervision meetings
- Coordinate services with other practitioners and agencies
- Develop written materials
- Complete forms
- Contribute to or lead additional division/campus projects outside of typical duties to help further accomplish student or organizational goals. Additional assignments may be seasonal, ad hoc or ongoing, depending on the project.
Training and clinical supervision of interns and other trainees
- Provide clinical supervision to interns and other trainees, as assigned
- Develop and provide seminars for interns and other trainees, as assigned
Individual and group counseling and psychotherapy for students, psychological assessment, case management/care coordination
- Conduct individual and group counseling and psychotherapy following legal, clinical, ethical and professional standards
- Develop treatment plans based on diagnostic information
- Provide case management/care coordination for students referred to community based treatment
- Conduct comprehensive psychological assessments, included mandated assessments of risk to self or others
Allocation of time to direct services
- In keeping with national standards, up to 65% of time will be devoted to provide direct services, particularly during times of peak demand. This allocation of time will vary, however, depending on the demand for services the Center experiences during the year. During times of lower demand less time may be devoted to direct services and more time may be devoted to other duties, as assigned by the Clinical Director.
- Direct services include providing initial triage and intake assessments, individual and group counseling and psychotherapy; crisis intervention; case management/care coordination; and psychological assessment.
- All of the time allocations listed are approximate, and will vary significantly depending on demand for services and other factors.
Special Conditions of Employment:
The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow our Covid-19 vaccine requirement process. https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology or Counseling Psychology (preferably APA-accredited) with internship in Professional Psychology (preferably APA-accredited) required and / or Masters degree in Counseling, Social Work or related field required with three years of internship or post masters education.
- Current knowledge of and adherence to ethical, legal, and professional guidelines required
Special interest coursework, supervised experience and programming background as agency needs dictate required.
- Previous experience in university counseling center preferred
- Previous experience in providing mental health consultation in primary care setting preferred
- Candidates who are licensed mental health providers or will be licensed by June 1st, 2021 will be given preference. Also, candidates who have expertise in any of the following areas: underrepresented and minoritized populations, men and masculinities, and bilingual (Spanish) counseling will be given preference.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Supervisory Skills
- Demonstrated counseling and communication skills
- Demonstrated crisis intervention skills
$6,083.00 per month; Excellent Benefits
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package including; medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits