The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
This position reports to the Associate Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO) and is responsible for complex administrative support and management of administrative duties for Human Resources. Supports the CHRO by managing their calendar, making travel arrangements, schedules complex meetings, and reserves meeting rooms. Creates, organizes, edits, and/or proofreads documents for meetings and communication for the CHRO’s signature. Schedules and coordinates various functions for the department and university committees. Responsible for managing the HR budget and processes expenditures. Provides leadership to department staff, helping to manage internal issues and team needs. Serves as back up to customer service roles within the department. Maintains strict confidentiality. Ability to retain tact, diplomacy, and discretion under all circumstances. Supervision received: works under general supervision of the CHRO. Provides secondary support to HR Directors as requested. Supervision exercised: exercise immediate supervision over the student employees.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Support AVP & CHRO and HR Directors
- Manages the CHRO’s Calendar, and others as requested; ensuring flow of meetings are on schedule; schedules complex and sensitive meetings and committee events; confirming, adjusting, or canceling meetings.
- Screens incoming mail, telephone calls and refers to appropriate personnel; prioritizes return telephone calls and e-mails.
- Manages HR internal master calendar and timeline of HR projects including action items and follow-up to ensure completion.
- Prepares confidential reports, correspondence and presentations to executives, faculty and staff.
- Attends committee meetings as assigned to take and distribute meeting minutes.
- Makes travel/conference arrangements.
HR Budget Administration
- Monitors and manages department discretionary budget for all expenditures.
- Order, monitor and pay monthly invoices for HR supplies and services.
- Helps CHRO identify budget needs for annual mandatory and critical requests.
- Prepares reports and correspondence related to department personnel actions.
- Discusses department requests, needs and wants; keeps CHRO apprised of what is requested and determine what can be approved.
- Prepares monthly recap that is sent to division Budget Manager.
- Works closely with Accounts Payable regarding cost increases, best form of payment.
- Prepares and balances the Travel and Expense Visa Card for the CHRO and others within the department.
- Prepares and submits check requests, petty cash, and expense reimbursements.
- Manages the Being Well budget in conjunction with Employee Engagement – does all billing and balancing.
- Manages the CHR@USD budget.
- Facilitate smooth office operations; support department sponsored committees and events (e.g. NEO, CHR, BAC, Retirement, Position Audit Committee).
- Plan and execute office staff meetings and events.
- Assist in oversight of reception area.
- Manage student employees including hiring, training, scheduling, work assignments and time cards.
- Order new office signage, name badges, business cards.
- Oversees and organizes storage rooms/closets and assists in ordering office supplies.
- Coordinates office moves, maintenance and repairs (carpet, painting, etc.) by submitting work order requests.
- Monitor HR Cart maintenance schedule and daily cart check-out log.
- Train new employees on office procedures, confidentiality requirement, use of HR cart; send completed log to Facilities and place original in personnel file.
- Plan, coordinate and organize meetings: individual, committees and department, including scheduling, room and catering requirements.
- Maintain Emergency Personnel Information.
- Serves as back-up to the Customer Service Receptionist for front desk coverage during absences as needed.
- Composes, edits, and distributes campus wide HR emails to communicate various events (e.g. professional development, employee events, bereavement notices).
- Maintains department website.
- Prepares memos and reports for distribution to various groups.
- Creates and verifies Fiscal Holiday Calendar annually.
- Helps respond to department email accounts (firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com).
- Manages internal office communications with absence and other updates.
Other duties as assigned
Special Conditions of Employment:
The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow our Covid-19 vaccine requirement process. https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Minimum and Preferred Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or a combination of school and work experience to equate to a minimum of five years of directly related experience.
- Requires previous experience overseeing office operations and working closely with management team in the delivery of services.
- Requires a high degree of confidentiality in the performance of duties.
- Prefer human resources experience.
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to independently lead and coordinate projects and multiple assignments simultaneously, communicating updates and meeting deadlines.
- Must be self-directed, resourceful with creative problem-solving skills.
- Must possess excellent judgment and communication (written, verbal and listening) and customer service skills.
- Ability to interface professionally and diplomatically with all levels of staff, faculty, students and administrators.
- Possess a high degree of confidentiality, tact and discretion.
- Must demonstrate initiative in resolving issues and improving efficiencies.
- Ability to anticipate the needs of the CHRO and the department.
- Ability to work independently managing the office operations, assuring that the office maintains a professional environment through the resolution of operational issues.
- Must be able to lead, guide and direct personnel. This includes making and/or supporting difficult and un-popular decisions.
- Must possess excellent objective decision and analysis skills.
- Must possess excellent grammar skills with the ability to compose and edit correspondence and reports.
- Must be able to work under pressure, flexible with the ability to adapt to change and maintain a professional decorum.
- Requires demonstrated and strong proficiency in computer literacy i.e. MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Gmail equivalents.
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Note: Preference will be given to qualified current University of San Diego employees.
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.