Position Title & Department:
| Custodian 2; Facilities
The mission of the University of San Diego Facilities Management Department is to efficiently operate, maintain, and support the development of quality facilities, grounds, and services, and at the same time to support our campus community, students, faculty, and staff. Through our efforts, we support the university's commitment to pursuing truth, academic excellence, and the advancement of knowledge.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
Provides routine and non-routine support associated with the daily cleaning of buildings. Employees are under immediate supervision and perform various duties requiring moderate physical strength. Typical routine duties include, but are not restricted to: dust mopping, sweeping, wet mopping, vacuuming, dusting, cleaning restrooms, removing trash, polishing furniture, operation of basic mechanical cleaning equipment and filling out simple forms. In addition, Custodian 2 is responsible for their assigned area and personnel, and will assist, when necessary, their lead person and/or the supervisor with on-the-job training of new employees.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The responsibilities described here are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Clean and disinfect restrooms/shower rooms and fixtures (toilet, urinals, etc)
- Keep restroom dispensers supplied with towels, soap, sanitary napkins, etc.
- Vacuum carpets, rugs, mats.
- Dust mop, sweep and wet mop floors.
- Police public areas.
- Empty trash receptacles and replace liners.
- Clean elevators and stairwells.
- Straighten/arrange furniture.
- Clean chalk/white boards and trays.
- Clean drinking fountains.
- Spot clean carpets, rugs, walk-off mats.
- Empty recycle containers.
- Spot mop floors.
- Spot clean windows, walls, doors and other above floor surfaces.
- Dust and/or clean furniture, windowsills and other above floor surfaces.
- Spray buff floors.
- Polish furniture and fixtures.
- Strip and refinish floors.
- Wash windows and blinds.
- Shampoo carpets, rugs and walk-off mats.
- Machine scrub floors.
- Residential summer conference support.
- Inventory and order supplies.
- Perform related work as required and instructed.
- Must have a full understanding of the Hazardous Communication Programs and the information contained in the Material Safety
Data Sheets and all Warning Labels.
- Consistently follow safety practices appropriate to the trade and comply with rules and regulations established by the University, state and federal agencies.
Minimum & Preferred Qualifications:
- Must be able to work assigned hours and may be required to work overtime and on weekends, as needed.
- Job hours and/or workday may be changed when necessary to meet supervisory commitments.
- Employee is required to wear a uniform prescribed and furnished by USD.
- May take the University supplied (self-study) enrichment courses and participate in various seminars related to the trade. May be asked to work in the vicinity of laboratories that may contain bio-hazardous radioactive, or other potentially hazardous substances where detectable amounts of chemicals and materials know to the State of California to cause cancer or birth defects, or other reproductive harm can be found.
Special Conditions of Employment:
The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow our Covid-19 vaccine requirement process. https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
$15.50 Per Hour; Excellent Benefits
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
|Special Application Instructions:
Click 'Apply Now' to complete our online application and, for full consideration, please upload a resume
to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at email@example.com
Hours: 37.5 hours per week. This is a 6 pm - 2:30 am shift.
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.