Position Title & Department:
| Admission Services Assistant; Graduate Admissions
As a member of the Office of Graduate Admissions staff, the Admission Services Assistant provides a vital link between graduate applicants and USD’s graduate programs.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
As a member of the Office of Graduate Admissions staff, the Admission Services Assistant provides a vital link between graduate applicants and USD’s graduate programs. Under the direction of the Director of Graduate Admissions, this position will contribute to graduate admissions operations in seven main areas:
- Manage all aspects of the application process from initial application to decision and/or enrollment deposit.
- Assist and communicate with applicants one-on-one throughout the admission process.
Work closely with administrators and faculty within graduate departments.
- Manage the distribution of admission decisions and merit scholarship documentation to applicants.
- Providing support for the reception area by answering phone calls, answering emails from greeting visitors.
- Occasionally represent the office at Program and/or Department events
- Oversee application process, including significant testing, and providing technical support for the graduate admissions office.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the data management of application information from the point an applicant starts an application, admission committee provides an admission decision, and the student submits the enrollment deposit.
- Understands appropriate Banner coding for applicants, schools and programs.
- Creates program-specific admission decision and merit award letters to applicants.
- Tracks and processes admission responses and enrollment confirmation deposits.
- Electronically organizes, images, and indexes transcripts, statements, standardized score reports, evaluations and other supplemental materials.
- Performs data maintenance (keeping electronic student records orderly)
- Corresponds with applicants concerning problematic and/or incomplete information found in applicant files
- Ability to work from multiple, system-generated reports
Communicate with campus and outside communities
- Communicates with prospective applicants and/or applicants in-person, by email and by phone, about status of their application, how to access the mysandiego.edu portal and assisting with any other applicant issues as best as possible
- Responds to a high volume of email correspondence from internal and external constituents including applicants, students, administrators and faculty
- Works with administrators and faculty members to answer a variety of questions about application materials, applicant status
- Provide support for reception area with answering phone calls and greeting campus visitors
- Participate in some open house events for respective colleges/programs
- Tests new technology as well as standard software functions after system upgrades
- Learn and implement new technology as needed
- Attends IT and vendor offered trainings
- Troubleshoot IT issues on a frequent basis
- Assists with documenting changes resulting from new technology
- Participates and occasionally takes the lead on IT projects as needed
Special Conditions of Employment:
The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow our Covid-19 vaccine requirement process. https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Minimum and Preferred Qualifications
- High School diploma; Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- 2 to 3 years of progressively responsible administrative/operations experience. Two years of college education may substitute for up to one year of the required experience.
- Excellent customer service & computer technical skills required; high level of accuracy is expected.
- Experience with working in a college environment strongly recommended.
- Must possess strong, effective and sharp analytical, time management and organizational skills with the ability to prioritize workload effectively.
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate professionally with several different groups; applicants, students, faculty, staff and administrators, by phone, email and in-person.
- Must be fluent in word processing, database and spreadsheet software, including Microsoft Office applications, CRM systems, and student information systems
- Advanced Internet and email skills. Experience using Banner, imaging software, and Liaison products preferred.
- Must have the aptitude to adjust and master changing technology.
Ability to use software and implement programs to create, accommodate and enhance existing databases, spreadsheets, and tracking systems.
- Required to maintain confidentiality.
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
|Special Application Instructions:
Resume Required, Cover Letter Preferred
Click 'Apply Now' to complete our online application and, for full consideration, please upload a resume
to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. You are also strongly recommended to upload a cover letter
to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at email@example.com
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.