The Office of Financial Aid (OFA) is responsible for the awarding of Federal, State, and Institutional financial aid to Undergraduate and Graduate students at the University of San Diego. The OFA is also responsible for maintaining Federal, State, and Institutional compliance to ensure proper delivery of financial aid. This includes scholarships, grants, work-study, and loans. The OFA determines student eligibility using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), the CA Dream Act Application, and the USD Dream Act Application. 76% of USD students receive some type of financial aid.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
This position serves as the primary monitor of all incoming documents as they relate to the need analysis and award process, including scanning and indexing into the Banner tracking system. Must demonstrate ability of maintaining confidential information and handle sensitive data with discretion and tact. Must possess the ability to handle multiple tasks, deadlines and time constraints in a calm and effective manner. This position also requires a detail-oriented, independent worker who has the ability to work well in a team environment. Accurate and perceptive data entry skills as well as analytical skills are vital. Must be familiar with financial aid terminology and Banner financial aid software. Some knowledge of Federal Methodology is important.
Duties and Responsabilities:
The responsibilities described here are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This position serves as the lead for all document control-related tasks. To provide accurate information is a crucial part of this position.
Responsible for monitoring all incoming documents/cases:
- Review all incoming mail, open, date stamp, and distribute to designated staff.
- Scan and index documents requested based on verification, need analysis, and eligibility notification.
- Determine processing status codes on the Banner system.
- Serve as a resource to other staff members and other departments in locating documents.
- Answer Doc Check cases in SalesForce.
Electronic Forms, OFA Website, MySanDiego portal:
- Coordinate web interface between Banner financial aid software system and the USD MySanDiego portal to provide students online access to documents and forms requested by the OFA.
- Annually update and edit all electronic forms for application processing
- Coordinate with ITS for creation/updating of eforms annually
- Trouble-shoot eform issues
- Serve as backup to Financial Aid Specialist for maintaining/managing OFA Website and Financial Aid page in portal
- Provide training and supervise Student Assistants in scanning documents and the importance of accuracy.
- Train Student Assistants on policies and procedures that govern the implementation of their duties.
- Assign tasks and prioritize workload on a continuing basis for the Student Assistants.
File Review Need Analysis:
- Using guidelines to perform financial aid Form Review and Need Analysis under federal methodology and USD policies and procedures.
- Check applications for completeness, resolving inconsistencies and data match discrepancies.
- Read applicant narrative statements and letters and incorporate pertinent information into the evaluation.
- Read and interpret applicant tax documents for input to the evaluation.
- Use knowledge of guidelines and professional judgment to determine the need for additional follow-up information from applicant/parent, and implement follow-up procedures.
Maintain office supply inventory and maintenance on office machinery:
- Purchase office supplies (e.g. copy paper, toner, and other essential products as needed to run an effective department) through Office Depot Corporation.
- Call and set appointments for maintenance service, repairs on office copiers, printers
- Maintain a University of San Diego US Bank Card to make purchases, reconcile through Concur system
Coordinate updating Forms and Staff directory:
- Coordinate updating internal electronic and paper forms required for need analysis and financial aid application processing
- Update the Guide to Applying for Financial Aid yearly with new deadline and current financial information.
- Serve as back-up for updating and circulating internal records for staff and students (i.e., emergency contact numbers, addresses, and birthdays)
- Circulate User Registration form to Registrar, Student Account, and then to ITS for new employees password to log-on to the computer.
Maintain and monitor student files in the vault and off campus storage facility:
- Monitor student files for prior and current year by continuously going through the files and keeping them in alphabetical order and also in the vault where we keep three of the previous years.
- Supervise students in preparing to box up files in the vault for off campus storage, and making arrangements to have the files picked up by Iron Mountain (our off campus storage).
- Routine monitoring of the vault to keep it in order.
Other duties as assigned by the OFA Director and Assistant Director
Tasks related to:
- Scanning and indexing
- Resolving issues related to forms received
- Updating material for the next school year
Special Conditions of Employment:
The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow our Covid-19 vaccine requirement process. https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- A minimum of two years office support experience, including one year in a position that required critical thinking and analytical skills
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of information in the Office of Financial Aid
- Demonstrated success working as a member of a team in a high volume, high production setting and adapting to a changing environment
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Effective organizational skills; detail-oriented and accurate work
- Ability to follow instructions, meet deadlines, exercise judgment, and make independent decisions
- Capacity to listen and respond with knowledge and empathy
- Good interpersonal skills, discretion
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills. Must be able to handle multiple priorities.
- Knowledge and understanding of Financial Aid regulations and USD institutional policies and procedures.
- Familiarity with the University of San Diego and its financial aid philosophy
- Familiarity with financial aid terminology and Banner financial aid software.
- Experience working with Federal Regulations governing all Federal Student Aid Assistance programs.
- Knowledge of federal tax laws and forms.
- Ability to interact in a congenial, helpful manner with staff from other departments in troubleshooting situations.
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
|Special Application Instructions:
Resume Required, Cover Letter Preferred
Click 'Apply Now' to complete our online application and, for full consideration, please upload a resume
to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. You are also strongly recommended to upload a cover letter
to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.