Position Title & Department:
| Assistant Coach Baseball; Athletics
As part of the University of San Diego, a Roman Catholic University, the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics is committed to advancing academic and athletic excellence and enhancing students' lives while promoting the University of San Diego.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Assist head coach with recruiting.
- Identify and recruit academically and athletically qualified student-athletes for admission to the University with adherence to admissions and athletic department policies and procedures.
- Identify and evaluate high school and junior college talent through evaluation at games, tournaments, and film.
- Weekly phone conversations with prospects.
- Junior recruiting – Identify prospects and follow-up as requested by the head coach.
- Request transcript from recruits and follow up with appropriate calls to registrar and high school counselors.
- Work directly with the USD admissions’ liaison in an effective and efficient manner.
- Home visits – Assist head coach with preparation and presentation. Participate in home visits when requested and appropriate.
- Unofficial visits – Coordinate unofficial visits in keeping with appropriate NCAA regulations.
- Official visits – Coordinate official visits, following applicable NCAA regulations, including travel, involvement of current players, meals and entertainment. Arrange academic meetings with faculty members and an academic class with one of the players.
- Provide campus tours.
- Pass the NCAA coaches’ recruiting test annually.
Assist head coach with teaching and coaching.
- Assist with the organization, planning and implementation of daily practices.
- Direct on-field coaching responsibilities, as assigned by the head coach.
- Assist with the development and improvement of player skills. Work with individual players before and after practice, when requested.
- Teach out-of-season, individual skill sessions, staying within the NCAA regulations for individual player workouts.
- Batting practice – Coordinate live and machine-based batting practice as recommended by the head coach.
Work closely with head coach, assistant director for camps and associate athletic director to coordinate baseball camps and clinics. Collaborate on:
- Setting camp prices
- Setting camp dates and reserving sites
- Hiring staff, while adhering to university and department protocol and deadlines regarding background checks and new-hire forms
- Recruiting campers
- Administering camp budget
- Ensuring safety of campers while in camp, and consulting with associate athletic director on behavior or safety concerns
- Involvement with all administrative and organizational aspects of NCAA Division I program under the supervision of the head coach.
- Supervision of players in a coordinated and planned program of practices and competition, with a concern for the players’ health and welfare, physical and psychological preparation.
- Serve as the liaison to the baseball team’s athletic academic counselor, and follow up with recommendations or requests.
- Knowledge of and adherence to all university, NCAA, and conference rules and regulations, policies and procedures, with special attentions to recruiting, eligibility, admissions, and financial aid.
- Enforce university and athletic department policies and regulations with regard to use/abuse of alcohol and drugs by team members.
- Assist with the preparation and budget projections for the yearly competitive schedule for approval by the sport supervisor and director of athletics. Consideration should be given to the academic life of student-athletes, i.e., missed class time, examination periods and other factors that would adversely affect their academic success.
- Maintain professional growth by attendance at appropriate meetings, clinics, workshops, etc. o Assist in the organization of any team and/or department awards presentations for student-athletes.
- Maintain necessary statistical records in cooperation with the athletics media relations office.
- Assist with the annual “For the Love of the Game” fundraising event.
- Assist with the projection of equipment needs.
- Assist head coach with scouting opponents.
- Watch video of opponents when available and requested by the head coach.
- Provide detailed, written reports when requested.
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree preferred
- At least two years of related experience in coaching baseball, preferably at the college level.
- Understanding of NCAA rules and regulations strongly preferred.
- Employment is contingent upon the results of a background investigation.
Performance Expectations - Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively with athletes, recruits, members of the university community, San Diego community and all media
- Possess good management skills.
- Ability to understand the goals and responsibilities required for the operation of a successful baseball program at the NCAA Division I level.
- Represent the University in a professional and responsible manner.
- Adherence to and appreciate for NCAA/conference/league regulations and ability to instill those values in subordinates and students.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Heartsaver CPR /AED / First Aid certification required. Must have this certificate within 6 weeks of employment.
- Must pass NCAA Division I Coaches Recruiting Test, (yearly). Must complete this within 6 weeks of employment.
- California driver’s license required within 6 weeks of employment.
Special Conditions of Employment:
- Must be able to travel for extended periods of time for athletic contests and recruiting activities.
- Successful completion of required background checks.
Tools & Equipment Used:
Personal computer, Microsoft Office, general office equipment, video editing equipment, Toro tractor, field lining equipment, pitching machine.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
|Special Application Instructions:
Resume and Cover Letter Required
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at email@example.com
Hours: 40 hours per week
Closing date: Open Until Filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.