The Finance Office serves the needs of the university and its constituents. It is supported by the Controller’s Office which oversees the accounting, cashiering, procurement, and student financial services operating units. The Tax and Compliance Office promotes compliance to federal and state tax laws, serves as a campus resource with respect to tax issues, and oversees the university’s accounts payable and payroll activities. The Budget and Treasury unit conducts budget planning, capital financing, endowment investment, and cash management. The Office of Risk Management oversees the university's insurance policies and loss control efforts.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
The position will be responsible for the following functions within Accounts Payable:
- Effectively and efficiently processes all accounts payable transactions for the university.
- Ensure proper compliance with university policies and procedures.
- Research questions and issues raised by customers.
- Maintain excellent customer service by ensuring timely and accurate processing of payments and effectively explain to customers the origin of and reasoning behind key policies, practices, and procedures.
- Assist the university in maximizing resources by efficiently processing large volume of accounts payable transactions and identifying ways to streamline payment processes.
- Responsible for the check run process, including preparing positive file for the bank, ACH file for electronic payments, and wires for payments in accordance with department rotational cycle.
- Assist with month-end reconciliation process to ensure proper accrual and accurate payable balance.
- Assist with system setup, upgrades, modification and implementation of any related software or system integration.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Ensure timely processing of all university payments, including but not limited to:
- Vendor invoices, contract payments, and check requests.
- Improve AP aging performance indicators by reconciling vendor statements in a timely and consistent manner.
- Follow up with appropriate departments on past due invoices. Assist director in improving forms, process, and procedures to streamline the payment.
Review POETS code (budget code) assigned to each expense and ensure that the expenditure type is appropriate for the related expense to ensure expenditure trends are properly captured for management review and strategic actions.
- Ensure the appropriate budgetary approval for each POETS code used.
Review documentation provided to ensure expenses are appropriate within university policies and procedures.
- Address concerns and non-compliance with diplomacy and tact by working with individuals to reach reconciliation.
- Effectively explains to customer the origin of and reasoning behind key policies, practices, and procedures.
- Provide customers with helpful information to prevent future issues.
- Appropriately inform director of any concerns and unresolved issues.
Responsible for the processing and reconciliation of the University Corporate Credit Card program.
- This includes but not limited to ensuring proper reporting, posting, approval, and coding of program expenditures, and proper usage of corporate card.
- Address concerns and noncompliance with diplomacy and tact by working with cardholders to reach reconciliation.
Responsible for the check run process, including preparing positive file for the bank and ACH file for electronic payments.
- Safeguard check stock and access to check printing software.
Assist with processing wire payments.
- Responsible for the initial review of the wire request and backup documentation.
- Initiate wire transactions via on-line banking portal following wire transfer procedures.
Assist with system step up, upgrades, modification and implementation of any related software or system integration.
- Actively participate in ongoing system evaluations and enhancement.
Maintain good vendor relations, correspond or communicate with vendors when necessary to correct or modify invoices received.
- Identify opportunities for electronic payments and/or consolidated payments to cut down on number of checks issued.
- Assist with the promotion and set up of payable (payment with purchasing card) with new and existing vendors.
Identify payments that required Form 1099 reporting to the IRS.
- Assist with annual 1099 review and issuance.
- Identify payments that required related to non-resident withholding.
- Assist with quarterly review and reporting to the CA Franchise Tax Board.
Assist with the ongoing- effort to update and improve accounts payable policies and procedures.
Perform other projects as assigned by the director and/ or supervisor.
- High school diploma and four years of business/ accounting/accounts payable related experience or college degree and two years of business/ accounting/accounts payable related experience.
- Must demonstrate excellent customer service and the ability to deal with sensitive issues and challenging customers.
- Experience with Oracle or other large ERP system.
- Experience in a centralized accounts payable function for a large organization.
- Experience in higher education industry.
- Hands-on participation on system set up, upgrade and implementation a plus.
Performance Expectations - Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrates and maintains excellent customer service.
- Exercises tact and diplomacy in creating and maintaining good working relationships.
- Knowledge and comprehension of general accounts payable and purchasing practice.
- Ability to prioritize workload, meet deadlines, and work effectively under pressure With a high accuracy rate.
- Ability to multi-task and balance changing priorities.
- Ability to understand and utilize complex procurement information systems.
- Excellent communication, both written and oral, and proven ability to exercise good working relations with a wide variety of people.
- Ability to readily problem solve by listening and knowing what questions need answering before making a final informed determination.
- Proficiency in Internet usage.
- Proficiency in Excel.
- Ability to use a 10-key calculator.
Special Conditions of Employment:
The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow our Covid-19 vaccine requirement process. https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
$21 - $25/hour commensurate with experience ; Excellent Benefits
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.