The University seeks an individual with a strong interest in working in a mission driven, faith-based institution. The role of a Cook is working with the campus community and responsibilities of the position are significantly tethered in the university’s contemporary Roman Catholic mission.
The Cook is responsible for providing skilled assistance in the supervision and preparation of all food production, maintenance of quality and/or portion control, and the maintenance of sanitation and safety standards.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Supervises and participates in the quality and quantity preparation of all menu items.
• In the absence of the direct supervisor, has complete responsibility for preparation of specified meals.
• Reviews menu with supervisor and coordinates daily production; organizes work areas to ensure ease of operation.
• Checks production sheet against inventory to assure necessary items are on hand; assists in planning for backup items as needed.
• Inspects work area for any problems or discrepancies and reports findings to supervisor.
• Assists in forecasting proper quantity preparation for each item served.
• Follows correct methods of preparation.
• Makes products to specification and reviews recipes with supervisor for variances in finished product, including yield, appearance, taste, texture.
• Ensures proper product portioning.
• Follows sequential production time frames as established by supervisor for maximum quality control.
• Responsible for the timely delivery, setup and dispensing of menued items as specified.
• Assists in completion of production/event records.
• Verifies quantity and quality of all incoming products.
• Ensures proper rotation and storage of all products.
• Operates all kitchen equipment properly.
• May assist in determination and ordering of product and supplies.
• Assists in research, development and testing of new recipes and menus.
• Attends weekly production meetings.
• Maintains good customer relations through attitude, appearance and attention to detail in daily work.
• Maintains consistent high-quality standards; quality-tests every finished product for taste, texture, appearance and temperature.
• Assures that all foods are attractively garnished and appropriately displayed.
• Ensures that products are not held longer than establishing holding time frames.
• Services customer/guest needs with the appropriate sense of business urgency to provide quality service.
• Reports feedback from customer to supervisor and/or area manager.
• Provides input on menu, and special meals in weekly production meetings.
• Sets leadership example by willingness to work all job tasks.
• Provides consistent feedback to employees regarding performance.
• Responsible for smooth workflow, communication and ideas through a congenial, caring and supportive attitude.
• Ensures that employees understand and adhere to all Dining Services polices and procedures.
• Delegates assignments as appropriate and follows up to ensure work is accurate and complete.
• Orients all new part-time employees to the location of products and equipment.
• Trains all part-time employees in proper cooking procedures, cooking times and temperatures.
• Trains part-time employees in the proper use of all equipment.
Safety and Sanitation
• Implements and maintains proper safety and sanitation standards in the workplace.
• Utilizes proper food handling methods and techniques.
• Assists in all scheduled cleanup operations.
• Operates equipment in an energy efficient manner. Uses efficient startup/shutdown schedule for equipment.
• Maintains excellent personal hygiene, including care of uniforms, shoes and head covering.
• In absence of supervisor, responsible for the security of the unit.
• Maintains kitchen cleanliness/sanitation during operation.
• Does not participate in unsafe acts and sets a good example for other workers.
• Reports all accidents and/or injuries to supervisor immediately.
• Reports all equipment maintenance problems to supervisor.
• Knows location of fire extinguishers and Ansul System pull stations and how to use them.
• Knows and follows all University and Dining Services policies and procedures
• Cooks working in Retail areas will need to know how to use the POS system.
• Cooks may have to work as a cashier as needed and therefore know how to handle cash in all retail areas.
• Assist in monthly inventory
• Other duties as assigned.