Position Title & Department:
| Unit Leader for Banquets and Catering; Banquets & Catering
USD Catering is proud to be the university's exclusive caterer. Their nationally recognized, award-winning program delivers excellence and quality. Whether a function is a continental breakfast for fifteen, a gala dinner for a thousand, or anything in between, they will deliver a caliber of food and service that is sure to please.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
The University seeks an individual with a strong interest in working in a mission driven, faith-based institution. The role of the Unit Leader in working with the campus community and responsibilities of the position are significantly tethered in the university’s contemporary Roman Catholic mission.
The Unit Leader assists in hiring, training and supervising full- and part-time personnel. Depending on the dining services area to which assigned, this position may be responsible for the smooth running of the “front of the house” during events including knowledge of setup and service, bar setup and service, supervision of wait staff and custodial personnel, and proper breakdown procedures; or may oversee the daily operations of a retail unit. The Unit Leader will have complete responsibility for direct supervision of catered events as assigned. In the absence of the Director, assumes complete responsibility for Banquets and Catering event management. Will assist with Event master software.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Orients and trains part-time staff.
- Maintains ongoing training and development.
- Assists in development of part-time job descriptions.
- Assists in development of training materials including written, visual, and video aids.
- Supervises the daily performance of supervised employees.
- Assists in the evaluation of employee performance.
- Enforces rules for employee conduct as established by management and reports infractions to management with a recommendation for appropriate action.
- Knows, follows and enforces University and Dining Services policies and procedures.
- Takes remedial action as appropriate to deal with immediate personnel issues.
- Interprets management’s directions to employees.
- Promotes an atmosphere of teamwork through training, feedback, and example.
- Provides regular feedback to employees regarding performance.
- Promotes a positive customer service attitude about USD Dining Services in communications and decisions.
- Provides professional role model for staff in appearance, demeanor and attitude.
- Reviews work schedules with management weekly or as determined appropriate.
- Supervises daily operations as determined by management, including some preparation, setup, and cleanup.
- Assigns and coordinates the daily workload of all FOH staff as needed.
- Prepares daily setup sheets, including setup instructions.
- Assists in marketing and merchandising of products and services.
- Maintains quality control.
- Responsible for ongoing public relations between the department and campus community; develops good communication lines with staff, management and University community.
- Gives input and/or is responsible for ordering food and supplies.
- Assigns employees to other tasks as necessary to complete the daily workload.
- Checks comment sheets and journal to ensure events occur as planned.
- Maintains ongoing communication with cooks and other full-time staff.
- Responsible to report daily with management about staff achievements and failures, event successes and problems, and the overall operational well-being.
- Attends all required meetings.
- Works professionally and efficiently with clients in developing, organizing and assisting with event planning.
- Scrutinizes upcoming event schedules and menus for accuracy on a daily basis.
- Delivers food and preparation materials in carts or vans (depending on size of event) to various campus locations.
- Controls the use of labor by enforcing established work schedules.
- Controls the use of food and supplies to reduce waste by instructing employees in proper techniques to control portions and operate in a cost-effective manner.
- Ensures that each employee completes his/her duties within the time allotted.
- Responsible for security of assigned work areas.
- Maintains daily financial records as developed by Manager
- Responsible for cash receipts as received throughout the day and secures them in a safe.
- Responsible for linen ordering and maintaining in adequate par levels on napkins and tablecloths.
- Maintains ongoing inventories of all service ware items (china, glassware, etc.) and/or foodstuffs as appropriate.
- Analyzes emergency situations such as staff shortages, product and/or equipment failures, and provides timely solutions to problems.
- Responsible for design layout, use and storage of special event props, décor equipment and non-food supplies for all events.
- Establishes systems and procedures to ensure organized completion of routine functions.
- Maintains the dish room area and trains staff in the use of the dish machine and the Biodigester.
- Monitors custodial staff and their duties; schedules clean up task as needed for down time
- Maintains good customer relations through attitude, appearance and attention to detail in daily work.
- Maintains consistent high quality standards; quality tests every finished product for taste, texture, appearance and temperature.
- Assures that all foods are attractively garnished and appropriately displayed.
- Ensures that products are not held longer than established holding times.
- Services customers/guests needs with the appropriate sense of business urgency to provide a quality service.
- Reports feedback from customers to supervisor.
Safety and Sanitation
- Enforces and maintains safe working conditions.
- Reports safety and sanitation hazards to management in a timely manner.
- Maintains the cleanliness of all areas utilized for events.
- Assists in the review of facilities and equipment to include routine maintenance and repair, replacement and upgrading.
- Administers and coordinates required safety and sanitation tests.
- Updates employee files to comply with applicable laws and regulations.
- Knows and administers the Dining Services Illness and Injury Prevention Program.
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent.
- At least 2 years of related experience in a hotel, restaurant, off-premise catering
establishment or retail food operation.
- At least one year of supervisory experience.
Performance Expectations - Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Experience in hiring, training, scheduling and evaluating personnel.
- Skills in working as a team leader in coordinating the work of others to accomplish stated goals.
- Understanding of basic sanitation requirements related to food handling practices and personal hygiene.
- Skill in interacting and communicating with a broad variety of people in a helpful and concerned manner, including customers, full- and part-time staff, and management.
- Knowledge of quality food presentation and application of these principles.
- Ability to work with multiple interruptions and with constantly changing deadlines.
- Knowledge of food portioning, inventory control and ordering procedures.
- Good organization and time management skills.
- Ability to report to work promptly and daily as scheduled.
- Demonstrated background either in event operations, especially in high volume applications including knowledge of setups and teardowns, linen, equipment and service techniques; or background in management of small retail units.
- Thorough knowledge in use of tools and equipment as listed below.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Must complete a 3 hour sanitation class as required by the San Diego Health Department.
- Must complete the University’s Hazard Communication Program.
Special Conditions of Employment:
- Must be able to work a varied hourly work schedule including evenings, weekends and holidays. Some overtime may be required.
Tools & Equipment Used:
- Personal computer, various software applications (word processing and spreadsheets), service ware, dish machine, various kitchen equipment, gas carts and vans.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
|Special Application Instructions:
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at email@example.com
Hours: 37.5; Must be flexible and work weekends
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.